Bike stalls going from neutral to first gear

mog

Hi, New to the forum. I purchased a 1999 800 fi Anniversary back in January. Absolutely love the bike, 10k miles, 2 previous owners, a really looked after example. The bike rides faultlessly except for one issue, any advise welcome if someone’s had the same problem before. 

The bike start on the button in neutral, side stand down.
I generally let it warm up, then turn off the choke before riding.

Side stand up no issues.

As soon as I engage 1st gear the bike stalls, as if I’ve let out the clutch fiercely.
Start the engine again, everything normal. The gear box snicks into 1st and goes up and down the gearbox smoothly. Stop at junctions, pull away in 1st all normal!

Any ideas?

• Member Contributer

Never had the issue but....

When it stalls does the bike jolt forward? How long has it been doing this?

A few things to check.

- What is your warm idle speed? Should be 1300rpm.

- Perhaps a good bleed/flush of the Clutch Fluid might help, possibly air in the system.

- Wonder whether the correct viscosity engine oil has been used?

- Starter Valve synch might need attention?

• Member Contributer

With that many years, and that few of miles, it's possible the clutch plates are gunked up and sticking together

at initial startup. If you start it in gear with the clutch pulled in first time of the day, does the bike try to lurch

forward?

Thanks for the feedback.

Oil recently changed, correct spec.

idling is 1200rpm warm

new clutch fluid 6 months ago

The symptoms are lurching forward before stalling, so might be the clutch plates. However, started this morning, quick warm up, problem has gone away. I’m wondering if it’s lack of use due to the covid 19 riding restrictions. Yesterday was the first big run of the year, so maybe it was just case of getting everything lubricated at running temperature. I’ll be out again for a ride mid week, I’ll try a start in gear to see if it’s the plates. 

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, mog said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Oil recently changed, correct spec.

idling is 1200rpm warm

new clutch fluid 6 months ago

The symptoms are lurching forward before stalling, so might be the clutch plates. However, started this morning, quick warm up, problem has gone away. I’m wondering if it’s lack of use due to the covid 19 riding restrictions. Yesterday was the first big run of the year, so maybe it was just case of getting everything lubricated at running temperature. I’ll be out again for a ride mid week, I’ll try a start in gear to see if it’s the plates. 

Easy check, assume your bike has a center stand?

With the bike on the center stand engine running, in first gear. When you pull the clutch in does the rear wheel come to a stop? It should.

If not I would still consider a good clutch fluid bleed first.

• Member Contributer

It's normal to have a little slow wheel spin on centerstand and engine idling, but with dry plates and cold oil, it will be worse.  If your clutch system is properly bled (and that little brass bushing in the lever not worn out), then by the sound of your symptoms, the clutch plates are dry and sticking.... EZ PZ, just do what we call a clutch soak... remove all the plates, clean them, soak in fresh engine oil for 5 minutes, put it all back together.  Betcha that fixes you up immensely.  Your bike is 21 years old and only gone 10k, time to lube things up as it's been sitting too much  not getting regular doses of oil on the clutch plates.

What I do every time before I go for a Ride, when the Bike has been standing for a period of time is  - with Bike off the Centre Stand,Engine off,pull  the  Clutch in,engage first Gear and rock the Bike forward till the Clutch frees,saves a very Clunky engagement when starting off.

• Member Contributer

I find that a bit of throttle blipping with the clutch pulled in during warm up does the same thing, before dropping into first. All you want is for the clutch fibre and steel plates to let go of each other before you put it in gear. 

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum mog. We'd love to see a picture of your machine.

Perhaps you've not warmed it up quite enough. Do know what engine temp is when the choke is turned off. I have an early fifth gen I've yet to transfer title with so I cannot ride it on the street but I start in regularly. When I put it gear it has never stalled - engine temp has reached 156F on my meter panel. Just another thing to check out.

Had a ride out this evening, started in 1st gear, clutch in, no issues at all. It must be the lack of use.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

• Member Contributer

Wow mog. That is one fabulous looking machine. Looks to be in great condition. You obviously have great taste in mc's. I do like the red and silver color scheme and striping. Congratulations.

• Member Contributer
On 5/26/2020 at 11:19 AM, mog said:

Pictures attached

1596E753-23C6-46BC-9430-58B57DAFE258.jpeg

Just wondering,  did you request your plate or was it by chance you got one ending "VFR"?  

Archived