6th gen Leo Vince full exhaust system question

Joshuagross

I am looking to buy a 07 vfr from a guy that has a Leo Vince full system exhaust installed(No baffles). He has no power commander on the bike and it has never been re-tuned. everything else on the bike is stock. Despite this he claims the bike still runs well.

Can anyone who has this system attest to this? Will the bike run fine as is? Or will I have to buy a power commander or get the bike dyno-tuned to run properly? Thanks in advance. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I've got a Leo system and a power commander. It might be a bit on the lean side without it, but I'm not sure it's quite as drastic as it is often thought to be. The previous owner installed them both and had the bike dyno tuned by a well regarded shop. I got curious about my poor mileage and installed a pod and the dynojet wideband controller and started logging the mixture... Crazy rich. So yeah, it made power but at the cost of efficiency. If I had it all to do over again, I might buy a Booster Plug and be done with it. If you aren't familiar with them, go give them a look. They do work and they're definitely a much cheaper option. I also feel they're a bit overpriced for what they actually are, but I guess it represents 1% parts and 99% working out the details. 

I've got a Leo system and a power commander. It might be a bit on the lean side without it, but I'm not sure it's quite as drastic as it is often thought to be. The previous owner installed them both and had the bike dyno tuned by a well regarded shop. I got curious about my poor mileage and installed a pod and the dynojet wideband controller and started logging the mixture... Crazy rich. So yeah, it made power but at the cost of efficiency. If I had it all to do over again, I might buy a Booster Plug and be done with it. If you aren't familiar with them, go give them a look. They do work and they're definitely a much cheaper option. I also feel they're a bit overpriced for what they actually are, but I guess it represents 1% parts and 99% working out the details. 

Would you get the booster plug on top of the Leo system or just stock exhaust with booster plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

With the exhaust... 

It's a simple way to slightly enrich the mixture across the board. Basically, it fools your bike into thinking the air is colder (and therefore denser) than it is. It's a quick and dirty compromise. 

Dyno tunes are all well and good, but unless you have an unlimited budget or own the dyno, you're going to pay them to try and spit out maximum power at wide open throttle, which isn't necessarily ideal for other conditions. Also a quick and dirty compromise. 

Meanwhile, your stock map is neither quick nor dirty, but it's definitely a compromise with emissions laws written by people with little understanding of actual combustion, leaving your engine running on the lean side.

Pick yer poison... I prefer to stay away from overly lean conditions and I don't have the time or budget to pay for my theoretical ideal tune... The Booster Plug is cheap and reasonably effective. 

Archived