Closest to OEM Windscreen for 5th Gen?

THRASHEK

• Member Contributer

Hello All.  I've been lurking on this site for several months... leading up to my recent decision to buy a very low mileage red '99 (Canada) that I intend to put collector plates on in a few years.  As many of you know, the VFR is a great bike.  And while I've had many motorcycles over the years, I've always had an interest in the VFR... specifically the 5th Gen.   The bike I found has most of the original bits on it, with exception of the windscreen (appears to have the tinted Zero Gravity Double Bubble on it).  

Unfortunately, I'm not able to find any NOS (new old stock) at the dealer or other online sources.   

QUESTION: What is the closest aftermarket windscreen (I can buy) that has very similar dimensions, fitment, thickness, clarity, etc. (with no visible logos)?

Thanks for looking at this post!

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum Thrashek. Contratulations on your new ownership of the best in medium sized mc's. We'd love to see a picture of your machine, to prove you are not a figment of our imaginations. 🙂

I have several OEM fifth gen windscreens. They have all been used but are in good condition. I have one that came off my current ride at < 11,000 mi. 

Send me a message if you are interested. I can take pictures but they are tough to photograph.

• Member Contributer

The aftermarkets I have seen are really thin....  The Givi D200 with it's upswept curve is substantial, that is what I have now, the wind will now hit you higher (comes lightly tinted)..... available at FortNine.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, raYzerman said:

The aftermarkets I have seen are really thin....  The Givi D200 with it's upswept curve is substantial, that is what I have now, the wind will now hit you higher (comes lightly tinted)..... available at FortNine.

What height are you and do you have bar risers fitted? I read somewhere that the taller screen can take the wind off your chest area and direct it onto your head, the wind on the body keeps the weight of the wrists, it's very hard to get it right, I have an MRA touring screen on my 5th gen now, this one doesn't have the spoiler. been looking at the givi d200s, the wind noise when I go down below 3/4 tuck now is very bad. I'm 6'1", 32 inch inseam, bike is standard apart from 20mm bar risers and I lowered the pegs 1"

• Member Contributer

Thanks rayZerman... I may have a lead on a nearly new OEM one, which would be my preference (if only to qualify for collector plates in a few years).  If that doesn't, pan out, I’ll check out the D200.

• Member Contributer

Just to reiterate... my thinking is to qualify for “collector” status, so originality, or similar/replica to OEM, is my objective (not what is necessarily best for my riding).  That said, I may have found a low mileage stock one in very nice condition though a VFR community member.  Thanks for the input though.

• 2 weeks later...

Here at MotorcycleScreens.eu you can find great screens, made from top sort materials and there is perfect clarity and visibility for really low price. I recommend it for you if you are still looking for windscreen. https://www.motorcyclescreens.eu/motorcycle-windscreens-windshields-honda/110-touring-windscreen-windshield-honda-vfr-800

• Member Contributer
On 5/22/2020 at 6:41 PM, THRASHEK said:

Just to reiterate... my thinking is to qualify for “collector” status, so originality, or similar/replica to OEM, is my objective (not what is necessarily best for my riding).  That said, I may have found a low mileage stock one in very nice condition though a VFR community member.  Thanks for the input though.

First - about me: I'm 5'7"  (135 pounds) (You have to pick me up to say hello! :tongue:)

On the Givi D200: I forget why I bought my first D200 but do recall I expected a drop in gas mileage due to increast frontal area. Much to my surprise and pleasure the D200 increased my mileage at least ~ 5 to 10 percent. It turns out, I figure, the aerodynamic windscreen replaces the aerodynamic brick of my shoulders. It makes for a drier rider in the rain and a warmer rider other times. (Not as much of an advantage in hot climate). The wind now hits my helmet just above the chin bar making for a quieter ride. And when I tuck behind the windscreen (my eyes just look over the top of the screen) wind noise is drastically reduced and gas mileage goes up over 10 to 15%.    

On preserving originality: at least for the D200, the installation changes nothing permanently. While installation requires removal of the mirrors, one can change back to OEM in a few minutes. When it gets hot here in Minnesota, (yes, we get a few summer days that hot) I remove the D200 and put a stock screen in place providing more air on the riders body. 

• Member Contributer

I fitted the oem screen, absolutely perfect and I love the look, turns out Honda knew what they were at after all😀

I may get a D200s and add a laminar lip for when the weather gets wetter and colder, easy to switch back to oem in Summer, and yes we do get Summers in Ireland!!

Archived