Gutted muffler

VFR4Me

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, VFR4Me said:

Has anyone opened up a stock 8th gen muffler?   Are there any gains to be made in volume or sound quality? 

Don't do it. The original muffler is an important item for resale value. There are so many options out there with better looking and sounding aftermarket slip on's and not too expensive. YMMV.

• Member Contributer

I agree with Grum... gutted cans sound tinny whereas a slip on will sound with a deep throaty roar V4s are known for...

Thanks for the advice and concerns. 

I was hoping to see if there were any baffle restrictions to be removed,  and then possibly pack/repack any sound deadening material inside it.   Hoping for a lil more growl, opposed to the nasty shorty delk sound that's on there now. 

I have an original muffler inbound to me from a forum member... so I'll be at least oem soon

Thank you

David

• Member Contributer

I've bought bikes that had gutted mufflers in the past and they always sounded like loud ass. YMMV.

If you want it to sound better get an aftermarket.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a 2015 that the PO had cut the stock can down to about 8" in length.  I'm not sure if it's gutted or not, but the start and idle are decent.  While rolling down the road it's still pretty quiet until VTEC hits, then you can hear it well.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, zefram47 said:

I recently bought a 2015 that the PO had cut the stock can down to about 8" in length.  I'm not sure if it's gutted or not, but the start and idle are decent.  While rolling down the road it's still pretty quiet until VTEC hits, then you can hear it well.

That looks like a real neat job, enhances the overall look as well. Doesn't sound like its gutted, the black section looks great. :fing02:

Any chance you could post a closeup side on view pic.?

3 hours ago, zefram47 said:

That looks nifty and sounds great 

13 hours ago, Grum said:

That looks like a real neat job, enhances the overall look as well. Doesn't sound like its gutted, the black section looks great. :fing02:

Any chance you could post a closeup side on view pic.?

Not sure how the PO went about it. Almost looks like they cut it from the back and welded on a new bracket?

4DA3D5A2-34F0-47BB-B92B-2782DFF8C41D.jpeg

AAC162A6-6700-4B60-BB33-74DE76BCD61B.jpeg

AD49DE21-0332-40EA-8DAA-7B3628983D62.jpeg

The tapered bit under the shield looks original, so does the join to the body of the can so what I think they've done is left the front alone, cut off the back section just after the bracket, then cut off the end where the cap attaches and welded that back onto what was left. 

• 1 month later...

I just finished this. Not sure if I'm totally happy with it. I left the offset pipe alone inside, thinking I might just completed remove it. The main purpose was to clean up the ss swing arm so that it was visible. 

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Everyone always wants to change everything on their bikes.  In the end all you get is a bike that runs worse and is worth less than what you had started with.  

Not sure that I'd agree with that statement. Here's why.....
Runs worse? Maybe, but it can always be fixed (you don't know if you don't try)
Decrease the value, does it really matter of you're not selling it? Just tossing that out there. There will always be those who have a new or different bike every couple years. I bought this bike because it'll be plenty comfortable, and peppy long after its done losing its value. In which case, I've lost nothing. I mean no offence to those who do switch up their bikes often, I'm just not that kind of owner. Il tweak it and mod it to my heart's content because I it lose value in my eyes, and that's all that matters

• Member Contributer
On 5/21/2020 at 3:45 PM, Grum said:

Don't do it. The original muffler is an important item for resale value. There are so many options out there with better looking and sounding aftermarket slip on's and not too expensive. YMMV.

On 5/21/2020 at 4:29 PM, BusyLittleShop said:

I agree with Grum... gutted cans sound tinny whereas a slip on will sound with a deep throaty roar V4s are known for...

On 7/21/2020 at 7:27 AM, davejf51 said:

I just finished this. Not sure if I'm totally happy with it. I left the offset pipe alone inside, thinking I might just completed remove it. The main purpose was to clean up the ss swing arm so that it was visible. 

Grum and BLS are on to something here.  People that do these mods are often disappointed, figuring that anything that lessens the sound attenuation on their can will make it sound pleasing.  It will certainly make it louder, but the tonal quality may not be what they expect.  That aspect of it can be compared to the brass section of a band.  Trombones are maybe the easiest to visualize as the changes they make are readily seen.  Tone / pitch is a function of many variables (beyond what I'll mention) but starts with the musician's lips and how tightly they're pursed in the mouthpiece and what pressure is applied.  That produces a frequency that travels down the tube of the trombone.  Less pressure / and looser lips will produce a lower tone and vice versa.  That's analagous to the bike's engine.  That is changed by rpm and throttle application.  The staggering of the firing pulses are fixed (and well documented on this site).  But on our V-4's they're different from an in-line 4 and thus have a noticeably different tonal quality (but may be equally loud). Two other variables in the mix are the diameter of the tube (a trombone has a lower tone than a smaller diameter trumpet and a higher tone than a larger diameter tuba).  The diameter allows the sound waves to reverberate back and forth, the larger diameter allows the waves to travel further across the tube giving them a longer wave form resulting in a lower tone.  The other obvious change to the tone from a trombone is the slide.  The longer the tube, the lower the note that comes out given the other factors held constant.  A longer and larger can will produce a lower tone than a short can that's been chopped off.   The trombone player "tunes" the instrument to get the desired result from his inputs (lip frequency and slide length) given the constant (tube diameter).  Makers of aftermarket slipons can tune the diameter and length to get the best blend of both (as well as packing, baffles and other factors) to come up with a pleasing tone.  Yes they'll be louder than stock, but don't have to be obnoxiously loud - and if done right, may well produce a more pleasing tone. 

I gutted my stock 6th gen cans, and while they sound pretty good, it's not as good as my Remus cans - the 4 smaller outlets produce a different tone than two larger ones.  When I have the baffles out of the Remus's (making the outlet larger diameter) I find it interesting how many thumbs up I get from passerby or drivers that love the sound.  It's a very pleasing, mellow sound - and  I've asked others if they find it obnoxious as I accelerate hard and I've never gotten a negative feedback on it.  My neighbors love it when I come and go (figure that).  So a cut off can or even a gutted one is not likely to sound like a well tuned after-market alternative.  Once you hit that sweet spot, you'll find it quite pleasing to listen to the sound of the engine even droning on the interstate.  A raspy sounding can gets on my nerves and I just find it loud vs something I like to listen to.  That's one (of many) reason I so love the V-4 formula - when the sound is properly tuned, there is just nothing else like it.  The best sound IMO is my 5th gen with the Two Brothers can on it.  When it's warming up on a cool morning, I've had passerby stop to watch as the hot exhaust contacting the cool, moist air makes smoke rings clearly visible on each pulse.  That and the sound (both of the exhaust and GDC's)  is pure sex! 

As for the economics of it, I don't really care what the bike is worth (except for insurance purposes).  I do this for my enjoyment and don't view it as an investment.  The addition of mods that are reversible I don't think really devalues a bike much, if any.  A slip on, risers, lowering blocks, power outlets, a voltmeter, etc - no big deal.  IMHO what truly degrades a bike's value are things like stickers, chopping fenders, altering the intake system, amateur paint jobs, poorly executed rim stripes, things such as that.  But that's just me. 

• Member Contributer

This is one of those things that you have to experience to understand.  But if you're like most people, you won't gut pipes twice.

Ciao,

JZH

Archived