Rider Magazine?

• Member Contributer

Got a Cycle World in the mail this week, which made me remember that I still get motorcycle magazines. Also made me think it has been maybe a couple of months since I've seen Rider, the only monthly left standing. Web site doesn't show an issue beyond March. Anyone more informed than me?

• Member Contributer

Makes me want to subscribe for the nostalgia of it and before they're all gone. 

• Member Contributer

Cycle World is the only mc mag I recall getting lately. And I agree with Cogswell about keeping them around.

And they also help keep my USPS carrier walking his/her beat.

I've subscribed to Rider magazine for years. I even got their leather jacket when they offered a life time subscription. 

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just saw on Revzilla's Common Tread that Rider magazine has gone digital only, last print issue was back in March:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/print-motorcycle-magazines-edge-closer-to-extinction?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=08/22/2020_CT&utm_term=Common Tread | Combined

Most irritating, as the author mentions, is that they didn't say anything to their subscribers and readers! I know the end of print was inevitable, but it would have been nice to just let us know, particularly if they're still going to the effort of creating content, and therefore would like us to still read it...

Rider was always kinda plain vanilla compared to Motorcyclist, MCN, and of course our Bay Area favorite City Bike (RIP), but it had its moments.

• Member Contributer

When did City Bike fold?  I used to read it religiously when I lived there in the early '90s.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

This thred prompted me to signup for a digital subscription to the digital rag. Hope it helps them.

Thank you VFRDers!

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, JZH said:

When did City Bike fold?  I used to read it religiously when I lived there in the early '90s.

JZH, you can check their website, which is still up, but Brian the founder sold it to Surj Gish maybe 4-5 years ago, they went all digital a year or so ago, and then Surj was hit by a Civic on his GS I believe, and they threw in the towel. A shame, they had attitude.

You may recognize this:

IMG_2196.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 8/23/2020 at 3:06 AM, St. Stephen said:

JZH, you can check their website, which is still up, but Brian the founder sold it to Surj Gish maybe 4-5 years ago, they went all digital a year or so ago, and then Surj was hit by a Civic on his GS I believe, and they threw in the towel. A shame, they had attitude.

You may recognize this:

IMG_2196.JPG

Bearing in mind that I didn't drink at that time (a shocking error of judgement I have long since corrected), I never visited but I would guess that is a photo from that bar in the Mission which was/is a local hangout for SF motorcyclists?

I knew where all of the City Bike news stands were (in case they were all gone from my usual) and I recall once picking up a wad of back issues from Brian himself a few years after I had moved away to Europe.  I did do the Sunday Morning Ride a few times, and corner-worked for the AFM at Sears Point for a season.  Good times...

Ciao,

JZH

On 8/22/2020 at 4:09 PM, JZH said:

Ciao,

JZH

it was always folded.......in the middle.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, JZH said:

Bearing in mind that I didn't drink at that time (a shocking error of judgement I have long since corrected), I never visited but I would guess that is a photo from that bar in the Mission which was/is a local hangout for SF motorcyclists?

I knew where all of the City Bike news stands were (in case they were all gone from my usual) and I recall once picking up a wad of back issues from Brian himself a few years after I had moved away to Europe.  I did do the Sunday Morning Ride a few times, and corner-worked for the AFM at Sears Point for a season.  Good times...

Ciao,

JZH

Haha, good guess! I discovered this a few years ago in the men's room of the Stumptown Brewery on the Russian River, had to take the pic. If you're ever back this way you can check it out--it's definitely not the kind of place that gets rid of its graffiti regularly.

Weird coincidence, the uncle of my older son's wife (got that?) is Brian's brother.

I do track days on the RC at Sears Point, er, Infineon, er, Sonoma Raceway. Fun track especially the carousel.

Archived