Engine Noise

yaas

Good day everyone, 

trust everyone is well. 

Seem to be having a concern with mt vfr800 2009 vtec.  I have 43 000 kms on the clock. 
On cold start the bike is fine, but when it gets to about 60 degrees it starts making this weird noise..

klak klak klak klak klak sound.... the sound doesnt increase when i revv the bike up abit. Coming from the engine, cant tell if its top part of bottom part. 
Also just serviced with motul 5100 oil. 

• Member Contributer

Sounds like the common failure of a Cam Chain Tensioner - CCT.

Listen closely near the rear and front cylinder head area to determine wether the noise is the front or rear CCT.

Hi yaas

I've seen a video of the same problem,  it was a CCT issue.

That's the problem with noise when the engine warms up.

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15852101

00:10 Engine cold start

00:21 Warmed

There have occasional reports of this problem in the sixth Gen.

And replacing the CCT is very labor-intensive.

• Member Contributer

There's a guide in the tech section on replacing  them.  The PITA part is getting to them.  From there it's easy.  It can be done with the tank on but is tight access.  Be careful of the washers on the small bolt that's removed to insert the key.  It's aluminum and if you drop the one on the front cylinders it will go down in the engine's "V".  It well be very difficult to fish it out.  If not replaced there will be a leak.  It seemed intimidating at first,  but anyone can replace them with basic hand tools.  I made a key with some scrap stock laying around using a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and a file.

• Member Contributer

Its possible the klak is clutch knock at idle...  you see over time
slop develops allowing the gear teeth to knock about and thus the
noise... actuate the clutch lever which aligns the inner basket with outer

basket and see if the noise changes pitch which should eliminate the CCT...

the only cure is to eliminate the slop with new clutch parts... namely replace

the clutch guide p/n 22116-MR7-000 and clutch bearing p/n 91024-MB0-003...

• Member Contributer

If it is the CCT, and if it's the rear cylinders CCT your lucky! that's the easy one to replace.

Good day Members,

Thank you for the responses. I decided to tackle this first. 

I removed the rear one as you remove the heat shield with the right foot peg. i cleaned it out and retensioned it. The sound remained at 60 Degrees. 

With all the panels off, I could hear the sound coming from the front of the engine.
Decided to remove the tank, airbox and then remove the CCT on the top section without removing the throttle-bodies. I did find that the little metal gasket hole I couldn't see through and it seems as if the tensioner was dry. I made the hole in the CCT gasket a little bigger, retensioned and fitted it back. Bike idled to roughly 75 degrees and then i revved her a little. No noise. Will go ride it today and provide further feedback. 

11 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

Its possible the klak is clutch knock at idle...  you see over time
slop develops allowing the gear teeth to knock about and thus the
noise... actuate the clutch lever which aligns the inner basket with outer

basket and see if the noise changes pitch which should eliminate the CCT...

the only cure is to eliminate the slop with new clutch parts... namely replace

the clutch guide p/n 22116-MR7-000 and clutch bearing p/n 91024-MB0-003...

is it recommended to change these parts out at a certain mileage interval as a guideline or only change these out once they start making noise. 

15 hours ago, moccie said:

Hi yaas

I've seen a video of the same problem,  it was a CCT issue.

That's the problem with noise when the engine warms up.

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15852101

00:10 Engine cold start

00:21 Warmed

There have occasional reports of this problem in the sixth Gen.

And replacing the CCT is very labor-intensive.

Mine sounded the exact same but found it was the front one. Will go test ride today and see if the noise comes back. 

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, yaas said:

Good day Members,

Thank you for the responses. I decided to tackle this first. 

I removed the rear one as you remove the heat shield with the right foot peg. i cleaned it out and retensioned it. The sound remained at 60 Degrees. 

With all the panels off, I could hear the sound coming from the front of the engine.
Decided to remove the tank, airbox and then remove the CCT on the top section without removing the throttle-bodies. I did find that the little metal gasket hole I couldn't see through and it seems as if the tensioner was dry. I made the hole in the CCT gasket a little bigger, retensioned and fitted it back. Bike idled to roughly 75 degrees and then i revved her a little. No noise. Will go ride it today and provide further feedback. 

After going through all the trouble of replacing the front CCT and you didn't fit a new one! Sorry, but I think that's a bad move. I've never heard that just retensioning the CCT as being successful in the long term. I tried it once on a rear CCT and it didn't last, only fitting the new one sorted it out.

1 minute ago, Grum said:

After going through all the trouble of replacing the front CCT and you didn't fit a new one! Sorry, but I think that's a bad move. I've never heard that just retensioning the CCT as being successful in the long term.

The tensioners in South Africa you cant find pirated and have to buy form Honda only. Honda South Africa doesnt have stock of them and they dont know when they going to get due to the covid issues. All our customs has been stopped as well for any international postage. This was meant to be a temp fix until they can place the order for me. I was thinking of going ebay as well in the hopes of finding a new one and having it in SA in about 2 or 3 weeks. 

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, yaas said:

The tensioners in South Africa you cant find pirated and have to buy form Honda only. Honda South Africa doesnt have stock of them and they dont know when they going to get due to the covid issues. All our customs has been stopped as well for any international postage. This was meant to be a temp fix until they can place the order for me. I was thinking of going ebay as well in the hopes of finding a new one and having it in SA in about 2 or 3 weeks. 

Understand your issue. Good luck and hope the retensioning works for you. At least you've confirmed what is creating the noise.

Yeah i think thats the most important part. Think I'm going to hunt for a good secondhand one in the meantime that comes off a lowmileage wrecked bike untill Honda has stock.  Wasnt comfortable with the retensioning either. 

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, yaas said:

Yeah i think thats the most important part. Think I'm going to hunt for a good secondhand one in the meantime that comes off a lowmileage wrecked bike untill Honda has stock.  Wasnt comfortable with the retensioning either. 

Wrecked bike could be a good option. The CCT's  are the same as used in the 8gen 2014 - 2017 so if you find a wrecked 8gen you would most likely find one with low mileage.

Good Luck.

Archived