Grade246

I recently picked up a 98 vfr800 and it has a micron slip on but for me it's a touch too quiet (need to not only hear but feel that v4 in my bones and soul) it sounds great just on the quiet side.

So my questions are :

Is there a louder "slip on" 

if I buy  headers will that increase performance and volume because I still like power and noise. I want louder but not reading

IMG_20200516_173504.jpg

IMG_20200516_173523.jpg

IMG_20200516_173513.jpg

• Member Contributer

Microns of the final era (the company went bust a while ago) were very quiet, so almost any aftermarket end can will be louder!  Plus, anything you find on eBay will probably be in need of a re-pack, so will be even louder than when new.  Two Brothers Racing used to make some nice pipes, and D&D was always considered the loudest.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I believe the Micron can be opened up. If you look in the tail end you should be able to see a hex/allen screw an inch or so in on the left or right side.

Its up to you but you may try to take some packing out or play around with the baffle, ie more holes or bigger holes.

Or

Get those WiLD Headers. 

• Member Contributer

I wouldn’t mess with the can you have, because all the 5th Gen stuff is becoming non-existent. That Micron is virtually irreplaceable. If anything, get on eBay and buy one of the hundreds of generic cans that can be found on there. They’ll slip right into place, so long as you get the same inlet diameter. Shorter canister and larger outlet diameter will give you all the obnoxious you’d want. Then, when you grow tired of that, you can slip the Micron back in place. 

• Member Contributer

I bought a Micron shortly after I bought my '99 in 2000 and sold it immediately because it was too loud. Nice throaty sound, but obnoxiously loud.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it seems the 5th gen slip ons are slim pickings these days. The Micron you have looks pretty good on there.

I did a fair amount of looking before buying a Danmoto GP Extreme Slip-On. It was cheap, it works and it’s what I have on it until something else comes along. If you like loud this might be an option for you.

5CEE5403-173C-472B-A823-5FBECC42570C.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I will need another member to confirm, but I thought I saw that 8th gen slip-ons will fit 5th gens.... 

Kinda opens the door...

:beer:

Archived