Clutch Issues

Liam

Hi all, new to the site as i have an issue with my bike which i am hoping you will be able to help me out with, or point me to a post that may have already answered the question. 

So today i replaced my clutch friction plates and upgraded to heavy duty springs. 

I have used the EBC CKF carbon fibre clutch kit with new springs as advised by the EBC sales team. (states plates dont need to be soaked before install)

having put the bike back together i noticed the clutch lever is very, stiff, i mean as in having to squeeze hard to pull it in. 

The bike starts up fine in neutral and on the centre stand will go into gear and will go through the gears. 

When the bike is off its centre stand and the bike is put into gear with the clutch lever pulled in still the bike stalls immediately and jumps forward as it stalls. 

I can also not start the bike in first gear with the clutch lever pulled in. 

has anyone had these issues before or can offer some help as to what i may be and how to fix? 

Thanks in advance. 

Liam

• Member Contributer

Can you move it in gear with the clutch pulled in?

The clutch on these is really simple, same on my RC24 as RC79, this sounds like the push rod has crept out (they do that) and is caught up

Take the springs off and see if that’s binding ... if you only did it today the gasket should be reusable 

Thanks for the reply. No when the bike is in gear with the clutch Lever pulled in You cant push the bike. It is still in gear. 

i thought maybe having to bleed the clutch?

• Member Contributer

The clutch is locked, I’ve sent you a PM

Next step is get the clutch cover off before something gets broken 

first try bleeding the clutch hydraulics.

has the bike been sitting for a long period ??  if so, plates may be stuck together, and there is a procedure for unsticking them that does not require clutch cover removal.

Hi no the plates have just been changed yesterday, it was after changing the friction plates the issue arrived. 

have got the clutch cover off again and trying to put it back together. Making sure the pushrod and bearings are seated correctly etc. 

• Member Contributer

Before you put the cover on check the clutch moves OK

So it turns out the bearing in the pressure plate had come loose. Refit that and all seems to be working fine now. 

Thanks for all your help and advice. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Liam said:

So it turns out the bearing in the pressure plate had come loose. Refit that and all seems to be working fine now. 

Thanks for all your help and advice. 

That's weird, isn't the bearing held under tension in the pressure plate via the lifter piece and rod once the pressure plate spring bolts are tightened? The bearing should be a firm fit into the pressure plate.

Anyway, glad you have it all sorted and nothing damaged.

• Member Contributer

No damage done then ....👍

11 hours ago, Grum said:

That's weird, isn't the bearing held under tension in the pressure plate via the lifter piece and rod once the pressure plate spring bolts are tightened? The bearing should be a firm fit into the pressure plate.

Anyway, glad you have it all sorted and nothing damaged.

Yes thats what i thought. But nope. Was on the lifter piece. Very strange. Dont know how it got there. No damage that i can see thank god. Will have to take it for a proper spin soon to make sure its all good. 

Archived