R/R upgrade

jstehman

Today I finally set out to change the regulator and the wiring.

I ordered an FH020aa super kit from roadstercycle.com

Hey look it's Mello Dudes adapter plate!

Crimped and soldered the stator wires. Jeez Honda, ya coulda gave me another inch or so to work with!! There is only a few inches of stator wire coming through the frame

Got everything hooked up and :

So far so good!

I have also discovered the power wire coming from the key ignition gets unbearably hot so I'm sure I have that to fix laterfbd7fbd57fbed267ab3681f05a94d9e4.jpgf75cf9e63e9797408a729f7778100a18.jpgb8ac2c5d8359be49cb90fec5d54bc194.jpg6fbc424c40ab4404b71734fd58aab0b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Love the plate! I ended up not using one. Two things as an observer: First, get to that ignition key wiring right away! Mine was so over heated that it fried when I was approaching an intersection at night and flashed my brights at a turning truck. As soon as I hit the highbeam the entire bike went dead, leaving me to coast through the intersection while praying. Second, and maybe you already addressed it, but fix and heat shrink your stator wires shown circled in your pic below. Could cause arcing to each other or the frame. Enjoy the R/R! Jack seems like a great guy and I'll be using him again and again in the future for a few other bikes.43be3209d7366440b91a5366c88994a8.jpg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Love the plate! I ended up not using one. Two things as an observer: First, get to that ignition key wiring right away! Mine was so over heated that it fried when I was approaching an intersection at night and flashed my brights at a turning truck. As soon as I hit the highbeam the entire bike went dead, leaving me to coast through the intersection while praying. Second, and maybe you already addressed it, but fix and heat shrink your stator wires shown circled in your pic below. Could cause arcing to each other or the frame. Enjoy the R/R! Jack seems like a great guy and I'll be using him again and again in the future for a few other bikes.43be3209d7366440b91a5366c88994a8.jpg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

The heat shrink tubes are a little longer than they need to be.. the actual connection is farther down about 1.5"

And the whole thing is enclosed in a PVC sheath from roadstercycle.

And of course, that regulator would not have bolted up if it wasn't for mello dudes plate.

9 hours ago, jstehman said:

The heat shrink tubes are a little longer than they need to be.. the actual connection is farther down about 1.5"

And the whole thing is enclosed in a PVC sheath from roadstercycle.

And of course, that regulator would not have bolted up if it wasn't for mello dudes plate.

Ah. I thought that was a burnt/melted wire sheath looking at it on my phone. Looking at the picture again, I see it's just the yellow wires themselves; my bad.

I was able to install the R/R without an adapter plate. It will bolt in by sliding the unit a bit forward using one of the R/R bolt holes, and placing a washer in the back bolt mounted outside the unit. It's been fine for a few months now.

20200215_134538.jpg

Archived