4-piston caliper upgrade?

I need to figure out a tidy way to wire the brake light switch.  The Brembo switch has a long pigtail with bullet connectors and the VFR has the short wires with 90-deg female spades.  I don't want to hardwire the switch, I want a plug, and preferably not just male spades into the VFR connection.  Any ideas?

The BT-016 is also nearly half the price of the Metzelers here.  They're a sport tire, vs the sport touring Roadtec.  Looks like you must have bought a 180 rear, I don't see a 170 offered.  In a 180, Metzeler offers a heavy load capacity tire, and me on a VFR probably qualifies for that one.

I don't know how many miles I'll put on my VFR in a year, but I HOPE I'll get in 6000 or so.  I'll ride to work as much as I can; I drive my car very little except commuting, and I put 15000 a year on it.  (whenever my wife and I go somewhere, we take her car, which also gets a little over 15000 per year)  Anyway, from the reviews, the Bridgestones would only last a year or so, which might make up the cost difference.  Though when you get a nail in a Metzeler with 1000 miles on it, that really screws the tire budget!  (personal experience)

• Member Contributer

Why not just chop off bullet-connectors and install matching connectors that’ll fit into VFR harness?

• Member Contributer

Most "factory" option would be to modify Brembo switch to be as similar to stock as possible:

VFR750-BrakeLeverSwitch-1990b.jpg

1. So chop off Brembo pigtail, leaving 7-10mm of wire close to switch.

2. Solder on male spade connectors

3. Build an epoxy base to hold spades at proper distance, looks to be about 15mm apart

4. Connect factory harness connector.

• Member Contributer

Note that "oem/factory" and "professional" are not necessarily same thing. Factory specs are held to budget-limit and I always think it can be improved (look at R/R wiring), Even for something as simple as temporary fuel-pump jumper wire for troubleshooting, I'll use:

- pre-tinned silicone wire

- tinned connectors

- crrimped

- soldered

- adhesive heat-shrink wrapped

JumperWire.jpg

It's done this way in pro-motorsports, military, and aerospace applications for performance, durability and reliability. This is wiring manual I use for everything. I prefer to do it best I can 1st time around.  Otherwise, there's always time to do it again better. Often on side of road late at night in total darkness!!!

• Member Contributer

Note, also, that there are different sizes of spade connectors.  I think the Honda brake light switch blades are 4mm-something, not the "normal" 6.3mm (1/4").

Ciao,

JZH

Ahh, we can get BT016 Pro in 170/60ZR17 size here in Sweden at least. See what they're like first, and maybe try Roadtec 01's later on...

This is all great stuff with the brake light switch 😃

On 10/21/2020 at 6:33 PM, CharlieFoxtrot said:

Got my tire swapped to the new wheel today and ordered a set of Galfer lines for a 96 900 Monster, which are 29" and 30".  I had estimated lengths at 29 and 31, but would have to have them custom built.  I reckon this will be fine.  I'll let you know next week.

Well, the Monster lines didn't work.  The right side was OK but the left was short.  Should have gone with my gut.  Also the 90deg fittings at the caliper ends make for awkward routing.  I'm going to try 40deg banjos.  Finally, the fitting location on the calipers puts the lines touching the fender edge, whereas with stock calipers the lines naturally stay a bit away from the fender..  The fender mounting bolt at the back of the fork is a great spot for an Adel clamp, which is how I was running them anyway, but I have to plan the length right to get them to route nicely.  I think 30 and 33".

Anybody want a good deal on new front lines for a Monster?

On 11/2/2020 at 12:28 PM, CharlieFoxtrot said:

Well, the Monster lines didn't work.  The right side was OK but the left was short.  Should have gone with my gut.  Also the 90deg fittings at the caliper ends make for awkward routing.  I'm going to try 40deg banjos.  Finally, the fitting location on the calipers puts the lines touching the fender edge, whereas with stock calipers the lines naturally stay a bit away from the fender..  The fender mounting bolt at the back of the fork is a great spot for an Adel clamp, which is how I was running them anyway, but I have to plan the length right to get them to route nicely.  I think 30 and 33".

Anybody want a good deal on new front lines for a Monster?

It looks like you are in the US. Look at CoreMoto for custom brake lines. They offer just about any connection you want. I have a set on my 94, including the clutch line, and my brother has a set on his 03 919. I used fish tank air pump tubing to get my lengths with my headpin stand in.

Archived