Will a 5th Gen FRONT wheel fit on a 3rd gen?

Hey y'all-- 

I want to put 4-piston calipers on my 90 VFR, and I figure I'll swap to a wheel with floating rotors while I'm at it.  Will an ~01 VFR800 wheel fit?  And will the rotors line up with the stock caliper location?

Thanks

kevin

• Member Contributer

Nope.  The difference is that the fork spacing was made wider in '98 and the wheel hub made wider, too,

There are wheels with floating discs which are the same size as your FL's wheel, though.  The wheel from the 4th gen VFRs as well as from the NC30 would fit.  A couple of years of the CBR600F, but not all (F2 and F3, I think).

Ciao,

JZH

Well, poop.  I have an RC36/2 wheel. so I'm good there.  Unfortunately I also have a set of new Braking brand VFR800 front rotors.  I guess they're going on eBay; at least I got a great deal on them and should make a good profit.  Unfortunately I won't likely get such a deal on the RC36-2 rotors.

Thanks for setting me straight.

kevin

• Member Contributer

Charlie, are those rotors stock ones or fancier aftermarkets?  Pic maybe?  I'm not interested in the stock ones....

They're fancy ones!  They're Braking STREMX05, which is an old number.  The current number is STX05. I confirmed this with braking and can fwd you the email from them.  They're forged aluminum centers with stainless rotors.  They have been bolted to a wheel but have never been used.  I have the original box.

http://www.braking.com/catalogue/dettaglio_prodotto.php?codice_articolo=STX05

rotor-vi.jpg

They don't seem to be readily available in the US.  They're an Italian company and sellers tend to be from Italy.  Expect to pay $400/pair or more for new.  I'd sell them for $250 + shipping.

• Member Contributer

Are these ABS or standard? (ABS compatible will have one rotor with 3 small drilled and tapped holes interspersed between the 6 mounting holes to mount the ABS pulse generator ring).  Otherwise they are identical to and also fit standard models. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks, Charlie, I'm looking for a type with scalloped rotors, petal edges I think they call them.  Those look like quality pieces though.

Archived