About to

Hi All,

I'm about to pull the trigger on an 2013 1200 in black with 18k miles on the clock, is there anything that I should be looking for aside from the usual service history etc?

Also, will I need to reflash the ecu to get it running properly low down/derestrict or would this have already been sorted in this year model?

Apologies if these are annoying newbie questions!

Hi All,

I'm about to pull the trigger on an 2013 1200 in black with 18k miles on the clock, is there anything that I should be looking for aside from the usual service history etc?

Also, will I need to reflash the ecu to get it running properly low down/derestrict or would this have already been sorted in this year model?

Apologies if these are annoying newbie questions!

There was a manufacturer recall for the drive shaft I confirmed had been done on my 2011 example before I bought it.. the code is “3EF”. Quite a bit of chatter about this recall on forums, so I knew to look out for it.
I ended up phoning Honda HQ for my region and gave them the VIN, they ran a check and gave me all the details with no resistance. They even told me about another service action which had been performed under warranty; “3EL” Engine Abnormal Noise Inspection.
I’m unsure if either of these recalls apply to 2013> examples tho.

Power restriction feature in 1st n 2nd gear I think remained present throughout VFR12F production. So unless it’s had some tinkering by a previous owner (which could be verified with a test ride I’m sure ) the bike will need a Bizzazz device or similar to derestrict it. I run my bike in standard form with the power restrictor and it’s never been a problem for me, you have to request a lot of throttle to get it to interfere.. 3rd gear and upwards it’s disabled obviously.

General visual inspection all round, get your torch and shine it in all the hard to see places, make sure the bike has been suitably loved and garaged (not lived its life outside under a cover as some examples do).
Some options spec’d from new can make living with the bike nicer; heated grips, centre stand, luggage.. but they can all be bought as aftermarket add-ons.
Can’t really think of anything else in particular TBH.

Is the example you’re considering a manual or auto version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/14/2020 at 2:34 PM, RedlineDrifter said:

There was a manufacturer recall for the drive shaft I confirmed had been done on my 2011 example before I bought it.. the code is “3EF”. Quite a bit of chatter about this recall on forums, so I knew to look out for it.
I ended up phoning Honda HQ for my region and gave them the VIN, they ran a check and gave me all the details with no resistance. They even told me about another service action which had been performed under warranty; “3EL” Engine Abnormal Noise Inspection.
I’m unsure if either of these recalls apply to 2013> examples tho.

Power restriction feature in 1st n 2nd gear I think remained present throughout VFR12F production. So unless it’s had some tinkering by a previous owner (which could be verified with a test ride I’m sure emoji6.png) the bike will need a Bizzazz device or similar to derestrict it. I run my bike in standard form with the power restrictor and it’s never been a problem for me, you have to request a lot of throttle to get it to interfere.. 3rd gear and upwards it’s disabled obviously.

General visual inspection all round, get your torch and shine it in all the hard to see places, make sure the bike has been suitably loved and garaged (not lived its life outside under a cover as some examples do).
Some options spec’d from new can make living with the bike nicer; heated grips, centre stand, luggage.. but they can all be bought as aftermarket add-ons.
Can’t really think of anything else in particular TBH.

Is the example you’re considering a manual or auto version?

Thanks for the info, will check on the recall especially.

It's a manual and comes with the luggage and heated grips.

it's coming via a dealer who will be doing the valve check service before it comes to me (I will be buying it remotely tho so won't actually see the bike in the flesh until it's delivered (might be mad!). They seem to be pretty up front and have sent photos of two little scuffs that, they say, is the only damage.

Thanks for the info, will check on the recall especially.  

It's a manual and comes with the luggage and heated grips.

it's coming via a dealer who will be doing the valve check service before it comes to me (I will be buying it remotely tho so won't actually see the bike in the flesh until it's delivered (might be mad!). They seem to be pretty up front and have sent photos of two little scuffs that, they say, is the only damage.

Manual with luggage, heated grips and in black too. Very nice

Sure, purchasing remotely without physical inspection has its risks (I’ve done it once before) but if it’s from a dealer you’ll have some protection in case you find horrors upon taking delivery (check as much as poss before you sign for it), and presumably some warranty support in the months that follow should it be needed.

I bought my VFR12 from a stealer , sorry I mean dealer . Happy to pay a bit more and have the protection given the value of the bike. Alas, my VFR has been truly issue-free as I’m sure yours will be too. They are amazing well designed bikes and solidly constructed.

Welcome to the club my friend

Archived