Oil Filter Leaking...........

ohwhell

• Member Contributer

I have an oil filter strap wrench with works in a pinch. Also have the cup types, which I found didn't grip the filter body well enough. My son worked in a lube shop for a while and his tip was to put a rag in the cup prior, and it grips like crazy then. Sometimes have to get it off the filter with a few taps of a hammer along the edge.

Hand tight has always worked well for me. Wrench only for loosening. Lube the o-ring and have a clean mating surface as mentioned. I also use the same filter for my VFR as I do with my Civic and Ridgeline. Mobil One M1-110

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, HughJebolzak said:

I have an oil filter strap wrench with works in a pinch. Also have the cup types, which I found didn't grip the filter body well enough. My son worked in a lube shop for a while and his tip was to put a rag in the cup prior, and it grips like crazy then. Sometimes have to get it off the filter with a few taps of a hammer along the edge.

Hand tight has always worked well for me. Wrench only for loosening. Lube the o-ring and have a clean mating surface as mentioned. I also use the same filter for my VFR as I do with my Civic and Ridgeline. Mobil One M1-110

I have always used the cup/cap type for installation and removal of Honda oil filters on my fifth gens. I can use an extension on my ratchet that fits into the square hole on the filter cap. I can feed the extension between the exhaust header from the front wheel well back toward the cap. I take great care to not over tighten. 

The cap can be rather loose so I really appreciate the tip to use a rag in the cup to take up the slack.

Thanks HughJebolzak! 

• Member Contributer

Use a thin rag. There is not a whole lot of slack to be taken up. Like I said, I often have to knock the cup off with a few light taps of a hammer or pliers whilst the filter is still on the engine threads. Just use this to loosen the filter enough to free it up (or tighten it to spec). I've been using this little trick on all of my engine oil filters for some time now. Works great.

• 2 months later...

make absolutely sure ur not over filling with oil... i had same issue on a brand new 2014 vfr and it was all because i had to much oil in her... pressure through the roof when over filled... i also switched to a purolator one oil filter they have the absolute BEST gaskets!!!

Archived