PAIR, Flapper, and Snorkel Mods

max13456

Question

Probably the millionth time this question has been posted here, has anyone unplugged their PAIR line and did the Snorkel/Flapper Mod?

If so did you notice any change in how the bike feels? In lower rpms or higher rpms? Appreciate any response, thanks!

17 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, max13456 said:

Probably the millionth time this question has been posted here, has anyone unplugged their PAIR line and did the Snorkel/Flapper Mod?

If so did you notice any change in how the bike feels? In lower rpms or higher rpms? Appreciate any response, thanks!

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, max13456 said:

Oh no not this again! What's the best oil and filter to use? OK just stirring the pot a little:wacko:

Some interesting info. I have removed the Air intake Flapper system from my 8gen for two reasons.

1. The 2017 8gen doesn't have the system any more, Honda have removed it.

2. Just wanted to remove some of the clutter under the tank area.

Since removing the system I've had NO degradation of Fuelling and Performance, bike runs beautifully in all aspects since removing the system some 20,000ks ago, subjectively speaking!

I think the Snorkel mod is useless. Just adds to a bit more induction noise.

Have not played with the PAIR system. Though I hear it helps in preventing any backfiring as you throttle off, possibly not an eviromentally good mod! As its job is to burn off unburnt fuel entering the exhaust.

• Member Contributer

I got pair block off plates. The backfire on deceleration was excessive, and getting rid of the nasty 20 year old hoses is a positive for me. Emissions testing is a joke

Snorkel mod is mostly for induction noise, as stated above. I prefer it removed. 

Flapper is debatable. Mine is disabled and hardware removed to maximize top end airflow. My next mod was chopping airbox lid like Mohawk's done. I'm also waiting on the next run of performance headers which should help her breathe better as well 

• Member Contributer

At least the millionth time... Still, bandwidth is pretty cheap these days. 

The snorkel and flapper... I guess my take is that if you don't have at minimum something like the performance headers that are being made, it's wasted effort at best... Unless you like a noisy intake, in which case, have at it. 

The pair valve on the other hand is worth your time. There are a lot of ways to go about it... From marbles in the hose to block off plates. I left the stock reed plates in place but put a couple of those rubber vacuum caps on the nipples. That was the least effort that still allowed me to remove the solenoid entirely. 

Just my opinion, but I think pair valves are utter nonsense: the motorcycle equivalent of the smog pump. They're only lingering on because bike emissions laws lag WAY behind and they just haven't bothered to rethink it. 

• Member Contributer

I did the snorkel (iirc) and I definitely did the Pair removal on my old 4th gen and noticed no difference. Even the pops and cracks on Decel didn't lessen. 🤔

I did the flapper and snorkel on both my 5th and 6th gen and didn't notice anything.

My current 5th gen has the flapper mod done but the Snorkel is still attached.

Your mileage may vary

7 hours ago, slowbird said:

I did the snorkel (iirc) and I definitely did the Pair removal on my old 4th gen and noticed no difference. Even the pops and cracks on Decel didn't lessen. 🤔

I did the flapper and snorkel on both my 5th and 6th gen and didn't notice anything.

My current 5th gen has the flapper mod done but the Snorkel is still attached.

Your mileage may vary

You won't get rid of the pop and crackle on a 4th gen because it has carburetors. I recently got mine running smooth and it pops and crackles more on decel.

One piece of advice. Use caps for vacuum ports and lines that are disconnected. The old bolt and electrical tape trick doesn't last and you can create a vacuum leak.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, coupedupsubie said:

You won't get rid of the pop and crackle on a 4th gen because it has carburetors. I recently got mine running smooth and it pops and crackles more on decel.

It's my understanding that the PAIR system introduces fresh air into the exhaust ports to burn off any unburned fuel vapor/exhaust gases. The fresh air ignites the leftover fuel vapor in the exhaust. 💥

Whether the Fuel vapor gets in there by Fuel Injection or by Carburetors seem to me is inconsequential. 🤔

Back to my 4th gen, when I did the pair removal I bought a kit on Ebay with the block off plates and rubber vaccum caps. I only did it because I was dyno-ing the bike and wanted an accurate A/F reading.  

Somewhat related yet unrelated ... I was just looking at some of the YouTube stuff on this, and of course, EVRYONE's opinions vary. One of the posts there I watched made me chuckle though, and the guy does the flapper mod, but just disconnects the vacuum line, and stuffs it down in front of the airbox? I am sure this creates a decent vacuum leak, at least under certain scenarios?

Anyways, my question is about the air filter/airbox. I noticed in his video, his filter was quite different than mine? Mine came with a K&N in it, and thought nothing of it until seeing this video. Mine is just a filter area as a smallish rectangle, maybe like 4-5"x8-10"ish?? Meaning the base piece that sits in the bottom half of the airbox is only around maybe 20-30% of the base area ... in his bike, it was 100%. The entire base was a filter element. Lots more surface and filter area to allow air in. So, it still looked like a K&N, or same type of element, again just a LOT more filter area. Not sure what the stock looks like. Actually, just looked ... it is more like the K&N I got, but still has a bigger area for the filter than the K&N does? Prob just with a paper element instead of cloth? Most sites just show you some generic pics of their filters, so wondering which companies filters are done like this? Element being 100% of the base mounting into the airbox?

Thanks in advance!

9 minutes ago, boOZZIE said:

Link or pic

Pipercross is 100% surface area , foam filter

I'll try to post something up later today if I dive in there, or later this week if I don't. I can take a screen shot of the YouTube showing the 100% surface filter, but I thought it looked more like a K&N cloth type filter than a foam one? Anyways, thanks for the update. I'll put something up in the near future.

• Member Contributer
On 5/12/2020 at 10:31 PM, max13456 said:

Late to the party.. .but for the halibut.. 

• Member Contributer

spacer.png

This is the Pipercross... Snagged one off ebay while the dollar to pound ratio was fairly friendly. 

6 hours ago, MJH said:

I'll try to post something up later today if I dive in there, or later this week if I don't. I can take a screen shot of the YouTube showing the 100% surface filter, but I thought it looked more like a K&N cloth type filter than a foam one? Anyways, thanks for the update. I'll put something up in the near future.

8 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

This is the Pipercross... Snagged one off ebay while the dollar to pound ratio was fairly friendly. 

Is it foam, more like a Uni filter, or more of a cloth material like the K&Ns? That's basically what the filter looked like in the YouTube video I referred to. Which I thought looked much like the K&N materials?

Making me feel like the K&N is a rip off! As far as how much filter you get for the money ... but I didn't pay for it regardless.

• Member Contributer

Was it one of the unicorn K&N filters like I've got?
TJ8mJC3l.jpg

Also, anyone know why my Pipercross filter is different colors than all of the others I always see?

IMG_7600.thumb.jpg.7ea4249c45d1cafde8ae1a0538565e59.jpg

IMG_7601.thumb.jpg.475860eb869d4596266cbbcaf0e9e3f3.jpg

Yeah, it looked more like the K&N in the last post. Mine had a K&N in it when I bought it, but it's filter area is more like a smallish rectangle in the middle of a rubberized base surrounding it.

Archived