new 2014 models

Joel

Question

Just goofing around on CycleTrader, I've found several seemingly brand new 2014 VFR 800s sitting on dealership showroom floors.  Is there some kind of hitch?  I've called one dealership to verify the details and he confirms brand new out of box.  Why would there be brand new 2014 models still in showrooms?

Thanks for the feedback.  I thought about the battery and the possibility of the tires being dry-rottted.  I assume and will ask if it comes with the normal factory warranty.  8200 (screen name) is thinking like me...a lot of bike for the money.  Heck, I'm 58 years old.  I do NOT have to have the highest performance and latest gadgetry...just looking for a bargain.  I've seen one in Texas (long drive) for close to $7K even.  The ones closer to home are listed at more like $7,700, but i'd say they'd be willing to deal.  I don't want any of the stuff offered on the Deluxe except that I would like a center stand.

19 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Production based on exptected sales exceeded actual demand surely...

If the price is right and they fit a new battery, I'd have no qualms buying it...

Nobody wants VFR800's or mid-displacement (782cc) sport-tourers with the curb weight of a liter bike right now. All the cool kids are riding ADV bikes these days.

I've seen 2014 base models listed for ~$7k and the Deluxe for ~$8k... BRAND NEW! Thats A LOT of bike for the money.

People spend that much for a 400cc, 40hp, made-in-Thailand Ducati Scrambler Sixty2!!!

Heck, a brand new CB650R lists at $10k!

• Member Contributer

A new 2014 in the box, RED, base model for $7k is pretty damn attractive.....

• Member Contributer

I paid just under $7k for my new VFR750FL in 1990...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

There was (probably still is) a '14 Deluxe for sale at a local dealer with 6,xxx miles for $8,500.  *However* - it has factory top case and luggage, Dam exhaust, risers, factory hugger, custom seat and peg lowering kit.  New tires.  Probably over market, but that's a lot of goodies in the mix.  Was tempted just as the virus thing hit,  but glad I passed on it. 

And to further JHZ's point, in Dec of '99 I paid $8,500 for my then new 5th gen.  In inflation adjusted terms  prices for bikes have plummeted over the past 2 decades.  

• Member Contributer
54 minutes ago, thepretender said:

Not that I need one but what key words are you using to find brand new ones? All I can find are used ones though a couple have very low miles.

"Not that I need one"          Yah right.....  :goofy:

Like Dutchy said, production exceeded demand.  And as 8200rpm said, most people aren't looking for a bike with the VFR's qualities and specs.  That's been the "curse" of VFRs for a couple decades now.  Most people want a sportbike, cruiser, adventure bike, or a tourer, not a great all-arounder.  It's funny though, because anyone who really knows bikes, when you tell them you ride a VFR, they invariably say, "Those are great bikes."  Yeah, I know, thanks.  😉 

Watch out for shops that advertise new bikes several hundred dollars lower than competitors, even if they're in different regions.  Some dealers will advertise the actual price of the bike, plus dealer doc fee, tax, and title.  But some advertise a price then tack on freight and assembly, so the selling price is 5-10% higher than advertised.

CycleTrader is my go-to in searching for new and used bikes.  You can select a variety of search factors.  Many shops, but certainly not all, advertise their new and used bikes on CycleTrader, but if you find a bike that isn't on there, the site is at least a decent barometer for what normal asking prices usually are.

BTW, and this is off-topic, if you're searching for cars and trucks, try autotempest.  The search parameter selections are terrific, and it searches multiple sites for you.  If there's something like this for motorcycles I'd love to see it.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, TimC said:

That's been the "curse" of VFRs for a couple decades now.  Most people want a sportbike, cruiser, adventure bike, or a tourer, not a great all-arounder.

I would not qualify the VFR as an all-arounder, to me it's a purpose built sport-tourer.  The ergonomics are a bit too aggressive in my opinion.  At least in the 6th and 8th gen, those are the only two I've ever had long term seat time.

19 hours ago, Calculon said:

I would not qualify the VFR as an all-arounder, to me it's a purpose built sport-tourer.  The ergonomics are a bit too aggressive in my opinion.  At least in the 6th and 8th gen, those are the only two I've ever had long term seat time.

Good point, but it's been my only bike for almost 14 years, so it's been a great all-arounder for me.  😉 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, TimC said:

Good point, but it's been my only bike for almost 14 years, so it's been a great all-arounder for me.  😉 

That's the most important part about getting any bike, that it works for you.

In truth, I would love it if Honda took the VFR 800 motor and made a standard similar to the BMW R1250R.  Just a nice standard bike with luggage options and comfortable ergos... I'm getting old.

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, Calculon said:

That's the most important part about getting any bike, that it works for you.

In truth, I would love it if Honda took the VFR 800 motor and made a standard similar to the BMW R1250R.  Just a nice standard bike with luggage options and comfortable ergos... I'm getting old.

Hi. Have you considered the VFR800X? Same DNA, better ergos. Cheers.

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, aztecmeca said:

Hi. Have you considered the VFR800X? Same DNA, better ergos. Cheers.

Unfortunately not sold in the US (or Canada I believe, not sure about Mexico though).

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Skids said:

Unfortunately not sold in the US (or Canada I believe, not sure about Mexico though).

What?? You don't get the "X" version of the VFR?? That's a pity. Yes, Mexico has both the 800 and 1200 versions.2016 Honda VFR1200X Adventure Motorcycle (CrossTourer) | Review at HondaProKevin.com - YouTube2017 Honda VFR800X Crossrunner Review - YouTube

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, aztecmeca said:

What?? You don't get the "X" version of the VFR?? That's a pity. Yes, Mexico has both the 800 and 1200 versions.

We can get the 1200 version but I'm not really interested in that.  I would consider the Crossrunner if it were sold here but I really don't want an adventurish style, I want a standard, like this but with the V4.

image.png.1d29611ada6b404ec8c2f8ac0311520e.png

25 minutes ago, Calculon said:

We can get the 1200 version but I'm not really interested in that.  I would consider the Crossrunner if it were sold here but I really don't want an adventurish style, I want a standard, like this but with the V4.

Same here.  There are still-new 2-3 year old VFR1200X bikes for sale at US dealers, and it's a nice looking bike IMO.  But I'd rather have the Crossrunner 800, which we didn't get.

Also, the BMW R1200R is probably my next bike, and probably within the next year.  I should have pulled the trigger on a good deal on one this past winter.  It was ideal.  I love my VFR and I'm riding it a lot these days, but I still regret passing up that particular R bike.  I go back and forth which generation I want to buy, but I'll probably get a water-cooled 1200, '16-'18.

Sorry to have thread-jacked your topic, Joel!

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, aztecmeca said:

What?? You don't get the "X" version of the VFR?? That's a pity. Yes, Mexico has both the 800 and 1200 versions.

"They" don't.

Over here in Europe, we do. I'm on my second! 😆 :beer:

• Member Contributer
On 6/9/2020 at 7:00 PM, aztecmeca said:

Hi m8, I'm sure it's my search skills that are lacking, but looking on the Honda Motorcycles Mexico website, I can't find the VFR800X available, just the 1200X.

There have been a few US members who have expressed an interest in the 800X and maybe importing one from Mexico would be an option for them.

Can you please confirm that they are on sale from new in Mexico?  :beer:

Archived