Grip replacement

Hi there,

I've got an AU spec 2015 with the factory heated grips. The grips are showing quite a bit of wear on the top and I want to replace them.

The question is - is the heating element independent of the grips or is it part of an assembly? Could I replace just the grips with some aftermarket progrips or similar?

Cheers all.

• Member Contributer

Whilst I can't conclusively say, but it appears the heaters are embedded into the grip. Had a look at my 2014 and the grips are not that large in diameter anyhow, and, if you have a look at your R/H grip you'll notice the wiring going directly into the rubber grip.The Service Manual appears to show removal of the grips and heater wiring as an assembly.

Part Numbers for them are - 35510-MJM-D12 Right Heater Assy. And 35520-MJM-315 Left.

Not looking forward to ever having to replace mine, but they look O.K. Maybe it's because I've never set the grips to above level 3.

Mate - You're in Queensland! You'd never need heated grips:wink:. Lucky you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers from MrGrum56!!!!

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, MrGrumpy83 said:

Hi there,

I've got an AU spec 2015 with the factory heated grips. The grips are showing quite a bit of wear on the top and I want to replace them.

The question is - is the heating element independent of the grips or is it part of an assembly? Could I replace just the grips with some aftermarket progrips or similar?

Cheers all.

I removed my Kaoko throttle lock recently and in doing that I peeled back the rubber grips slightly, if my memory serves me correctly the wiring element for the heated grips seems to be on the metal part of the grip not attached to the rubber grip. Just had another look as I am reluctant to contradict Grum 🙂 there are very thin white wires wrapped around the metal part of the grip seperate to the rubber. A great deal of caution would be needed in replacing the grips. Not sure how the connection would work as I can see where it goes directly in to the grip as Grum says.

• Member Contributer

I have had Pussy/Ripper Grips for the last few years. They seem to protect the originals and the grip heaters are unaffected. If your grips are still passable try some Ripper Grips.

13 hours ago, VFR78 said:

I have had Pussy/Ripper Grips for the last few years. They seem to protect the originals and the grip heaters are unaffected. If your grips are still passable try some Ripper Grips.

Do these just go over the top of the factory grips??

15 hours ago, Grum said:

Mate - You're in Queensland! You'd never need heated grips:wink:. Lucky you.

It's rare for sure, and if I didn't have them I'd definitely survive, but they have been handy on winter trips to Toowoomba/Stanthorpe!

• Member Contributer

Mr Grumpy,

Yes. The Rippa Grips just slip over the standard grips. Use a little soapy water. You will need to trim the Rippa Grips for length, with some scissors, to make them look shmick. Try Motorrad Garage website for supply. They have a warehouse in Sydney and are about $20. You could probably also get them from a local shop.

Archived