VFR 750 Engine on a Lawn mower

Hi, i have build a crasy Lawn Mower with a VFR 750 engine from 1993 and like to modify the air intake box (to get the seat at a lower position) can i run whitout airfilter? do i need to change jet? do i mess up the vacuum function for throttle?

I build this last year and the top speed is calculated to go 115km/h (71,5mph) and i measure with gps on the horse track to 108km/h (67mph)

I have planned this year to lower the seat, install front brakes, change gear ratio and some more small changes..

I attach some photo and here is link to more videos: My Youtube channel

Stiga_org.jpg

Stiga_eng.jpg

• Member Contributer

Seen those on go karts,  but not on a lawnmower.  After all that work I would not be inclined to run it without a filter,  rapid cylinder wear is likely.  Since it appears that you can fabricate, you could probably rig up some ducting to a remote filter and use a flat lid on the airbox, or possibly rig a small filter for each cylinder. 

I might also suggest some riding gear and helmet if doing 60 mph on it,  it looks top heavy and those tires probably are not designed for those speeds.  You would likely win any lawnmower race you enter.

Can you still mow with it? 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

Can you still mow with it? 

Agree, very curious....does it cut grass?

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, squirrelbrains said:

absurdity on wheels ☺️

Agree. Seems like a terrible waste of a good 1993 750 engine!:wacko:

Ok, i have planned to do some sort of filter, have to redesign airfilterbox..

Also have new front wheels from gokart and steering with disc brakes from an small ATV

Engine come from a chrashed bike

I also have an 36volt electric motor with battery from a small lawn mower and i hope to fix that to.. the first question i always get is "can it cut grass?"

• Member Contributer

I have a thing for VFRs and riding lawnmowers, but this never crossed my mind, maybe I am not as demented as I sometimes feel! Good job on this, I think an electric motor for the blades is a good idea, something about the standard 3,600 RPM limit for most mower engines would not translate well to the the VFR redline.

• Member Contributer

This thread reminds me of this untimate lawnmower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZukqQw5Xlo

And It's A Honda!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

This thread reminds me of this untimate lawnmower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZukqQw5Xlo

And It's A Honda!

That's awesome! And its version 2! and does cut grass! lol... :beer:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, mello dude said:

That's awesome! And its version 2! and does cut grass! lol... :beer:

I saw this on Jay Leno's show over the weekend.  He didn't make 150 in that appearance,  but IIRC he had limited space.   Looks to me as though it's better at destroying tires than at top speed.  

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, squirrelbrains said:

next project: VFR-powered sewing machine designed to sew cat turds to a garbage can lid.

As long as we are being creative, I plan to put one of my extra gear-driven-cam engines on a Roomba to really get at all the Siberian Husky hair I have building up in my home while she is blowing her coat. :wheel::pinocchio:

• 1 month later...

Archived