Fuel Filter

Manny78

Looking to replace my fuel filter.  Two questions. 

1.  At 26000 miles is this something that needs to be done?.

2.  Filter doesn't seem to be available on the usual websites (Partszilla, Revzilla. Bike Bandit).  Where is everybody getting them from?

Thank you

• Member Contributer

:lurk:  I'll be watching this thread. I did own an '01 that was KIA'd by a deer at 105,000+ miles. I believe I had never delt with the fuel filter. YMMV.

• Member Contributer

I’ve not done mine yet. I bought my VFR in 1999 and it’s still fine - as far as I know!

i should say I’ve still got it - 18000 miles on her.

• Member Contributer

The filter is easy to get but not easy to get to, tank off fuel pump out to access it, I wouldn't bother if the bike is running well and the tank looks clean inside.

• Member Contributer
On 5/7/2020 at 5:46 PM, Saoirse said:

The filter is easy to get but not easy to get to, tank off fuel pump out to access it, I wouldn't bother if the bike is running well and the tank looks clean inside.

100% agree! 

I don't know the age of my previous pump and filter because I changed them out at some point for a 2001 tank and pump assembly, but the filter was fine and certainly well over 26,000 miles. 

Top filter is the '98-'99 filter, part#16900-MBG-003 and according to Ron Ayers unavailable. Part# 16900-MBG-013 is the lower filter with the curved neck and was used on 6th gen as well as recently as the '18 ST1300, so will be in stock for quite a while longer. To adapt, all you would need is the shorter straight fuel line part# 16712-MBG-010 from 2000+ VFR.

B99D7A38-EE44-46E6-A849-80BC4C6C2F2D.jpeg

If someone absolutely has to have the -003 filter, I have one NIB.

E0FA5829-2FF8-490C-9452-2DC643548E0C.jpeg

Archived