2002 Stator vs 2003-2009 Stator

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

So going to look into helping change out a stator for fellow member Duccman's 2002 VFR800. In looking at the parts fiche, it appears that the 2002 uses a different stator and flywheel than the 2003-2009 models. It appears that the 2002 parts are no longer available and when I look up the alternative part #31100-MCW-315 I cannot seem to be able to locate this one either. My recollection is that in order to use the later model stator, the flywheel would have to be updated as well. Does anyone recall if that is true or what the differences between 2002 stator #31120-MCW-D01 and the 2003+ stator #31120-MCW-D03.

• Member Contributer

Found this comment by another member in the 6gen forum. Hope this answers your query.

"Seems the stator after 24k has finally shed the ghost. The charging voltage at idle drops from 13.1V to the low 12s with either the high beams or radiator on. Last I checked a year or so ago the idle voltage was 14.2V. Since this is a 2002, the flywheel must be replaced with the 2003+ 6th gen flywheel and the updated 2003+ stator, along with the stator-to-cover screws and cover gastket. This is sold as a kit for $287 on partzilla but is on backorder without an eta. I decided to buy the stator, gasket, and screws separately for $250 from partzilla plus a used 2009 flywheel for $21 off e-bay for a total of $271."

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Duc2V4 said:

So going to look into helping change out a stator for fellow member Duccman's 2002 VFR800. In looking at the parts fiche, it appears that the 2002 uses a different stator and flywheel than the 2003-2009 models. It appears that the 2002 parts are no longer available and when I look up the alternative part #31100-MCW-315 I cannot seem to be able to locate this one either. My recollection is that in order to use the later model stator, the flywheel would have to be updated as well. Does anyone recall if that is true or what the differences between 2002 stator #31120-MCW-D01 and the 2003+ stator #31120-MCW-D03.

Is that guy in Birmingham Alabama - Custom Rewind still in business? Mbe that is a possibility? I seem to remember that the guy has MS and difficult to talk to, but does good work. Also, only works by phone call and you send a personal check.... .

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, mello dude said:

Is that guy in Birmingham Alabama - Custom Rewind still in business? Mbe that is a possibility? I seem to remember that the guy has MS and difficult to talk to, but does good work. Also, only works by phone call and you send a personal check.... .

Ironically I have a rewound stator from my 2009 done by Custom  Rewind  and a new 2003+ stator but that is the dilemma these parts are a plenty, hence my question of needing the flywheel to go along with it. Otherwise, we’d have to pull his stator, get it sent in, wait for it to return and then install it. Since he’s moving from California to Colorado he doesn’t have the time to do that while he comes to California to pack up and go back to Colorado.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, mello dude said:

Yes,  that is all accurate.   He rewound my stator and did a great job.   

Oddly,  at Custer in 2018 we had an 02 have its stator crap out (as well as an 06.).  A Honda replacement was ordered for both and went right in the 02.  No telling if the flywheel had been replaced previously.  I didn't think it would fit for the aforementioned reason.   At any rate,  if you call Custom Rewind,  be patient.   He's a nice guy and does good work.   I really have to tip my hat to someone who's struggling with such a serious health issue and is carving out a living doing a good service for our community.   Its been a whilel since I last checked  - I think their website was inactive and they had migrated to Facebook.

• Member Contributer

Duc2V4

I replaced my flywheel on my 02 when I replaced my crispy stator  a few years ago as the bigger flywheel allows more power to be produced for the charging system. The biggest pain was tightening the flywheel back up. In the end I dropped it in 6 gear and got my son to stand on the rear brake to tighten it. I also updated to a SH847 series R/R from Roadstercycle.

Although there will be sighs across the forum I fitted a Ricks stator as I couldn’t find another one easily in Australia to replace the burnt crisp. To date it has worked flawlessly, could also be the fantastic series R/R from Raodstercycle which I would say is the best improvement to the electrical charging that you can do for the VFR. Reduce loading on the stator and a direct charging path back to the battery. I now have a spare stator on the shelf which will hopefully be there over many years and not required Unless I need a paperweight!

• Member Contributer

I have an 02 as well and I dont know if the PO ever touched the stator... all is good with charging system at the moment... but one of these days(years?) I'll pop the cover off for a look.  How would i know if its been replaced with the 2003+ model?  Does anyone have measurements of the bigger flywheel or another visual way to confirm?

I figured when the time came I would sent my stator off for a re-wind for ease's sake... but if the current stator lets go in the middle of the summer, I may not be patient enough 🙂

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, rhoderage said:

I have an 02 as well and I dont know if the PO ever touched the stator... all is good with charging system at the moment... but one of these days(years?) I'll pop the cover off for a look.  How would i know if its been replaced with the 2003+ model?  Does anyone have measurements of the bigger flywheel or another visual way to confirm?

I figured when the time came I would sent my stator off for a re-wind for ease's sake... but if the current stator lets go in the middle of the summer, I may not be patient enough 🙂

Hi rhoderage.

M8 your bike is confusing me. Are you saying your very nice Black and White model is a 2002? We didn't get that limited edition version in Australia till around 2009 if my memory is correct.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies folks, since I already have a 2003+ stator, I went and found a 2003+flywheel on eBay and have that on it's way.  Seems the easier and more practical thing to do.

• Member Contributer

Grum - I wanted to buy an 09 because I loved the white/black scheme... but I found an 02 locally that the PO had repainted in that colour scheme, and I got it for thousands less than I could find an 09 at the time.  So yep its an 02 with 09 colours.

20190812_183716.jpg

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, rhoderage said:

Grum - I wanted to buy an 09 because I loved the white/black scheme... but I found an 02 locally that the PO had repainted in that colour scheme, and I got it for thousands less than I could find an 09 at the time.  So yep its an 02 with 09 colours.

20190812_183716.jpg

Ah I see, very sneaky but clever. She's a great lookin ride m8.:fing02:

Cheers. :beer:

• Member Contributer
On 5/7/2020 at 8:44 AM, Grum said:

Found this comment by another member in the 6gen forum. Hope this answers your query.

"Seems the stator after 24k has finally shed the ghost. The charging voltage at idle drops from 13.1V to the low 12s with either the high beams or radiator on. Last I checked a year or so ago the idle voltage was 14.2V. Since this is a 2002, the flywheel must be replaced with the 2003+ 6th gen flywheel and the updated 2003+ stator, along with the stator-to-cover screws and cover gastket. This is sold as a kit for $287 on partzilla but is on backorder without an eta. I decided to buy the stator, gasket, and screws separately for $250 from partzilla plus a used 2009 flywheel for $21 off e-bay for a total of $271."

Is that my post?  I reckon I said something very similar back in the day.

I think even still have the flywheel removal bolt/tool in my toolbox.

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, kaldek said:

Is that my post?  I reckon I said something very similar back in the day.

Sorry m8 you can't take the credit for it, just can't remember where I found it. But I certainly recall it wasn't a kaldek quote.

Cheers.

Archived