Fender eliminator

I did a quick search but was not able to find an answer - what is the best way to modify the OEM fender for a DIY fender eliminator on a 5th gen? I am assuming there aren't any aftermarket fender eliminator kits for this bike.

Thanks!

-David

• Member Contributer

The factory fender was trimmed on my bike when I got it. It isn't great up close, but it is decent overall and cleans things up enough that I haven't been bothered by it. I will get you a pic or two if you want, just let me know.

2 minutes ago, adkfinn said:

The factory fender was trimmed on my bike when I got it. It isn't great up close, but it is decent overall and cleans things up enough that I haven't been bothered by it. I will get you a pic or two if you want, just let me know.

That would be great!  I am assuming they relocated the license plate light to keep everything legal?

• Member Contributer
On 5/6/2020 at 2:34 PM, dbandler said:

That would be great!  I am assuming they relocated the license plate light to keep everything legal?

I'll get you a few pics this evening.

Edit - Took me a hot minute to remember how to embed images from Dropbox - here you go:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Member Contributer

I did this long ago, just a hacksaw job.. ditch the OEM plate light, make a bracket and added a LED light

and just carefully drill into the fender, cram the light/plate assembly as high as it will go square, bolt it up. 

tailcloseup2J-S.jpg

tailcloseup3K-S.jpg

LEDandplatemount-S.jpg

I've done the same fender trimming job as pics above and it cleaned up the trail a little bit, but be mindful that if you ride in resin and dirt a lot, you'll get sone of that flying over obviously. It isn't too bad though

• Member Contributer

pics added above, i don't think my edit 'churned' the post. she's dirty (spring in VT is not a tidy endeavor). If you go the chop chop route - DEI makes lite'n'bolts that I've used on other vehicles in the past with good luck, saves you having to cut a third hole, find a way to mount something in a tight spot, etc.

https://www.designengineering.com/lite-n-boltz-plate-kit/

• Member Contributer

I did basically the same chop job on my '99 years ago, but then I started noticing cracks in my expensive Thurn clear tail light and eventually found an unmolested full fender to replace it. It's literally the most stock thing on my bike, and I don't mind one bit!:beer:

64525BEF-00CA-4578-8491-0B4E2E3424CF.jpeg

Archived