Pulse Generator Confusion

Hingley

1. Hi Guys, I have a 1990 VFR750 that just does not seem to run right so I started checking the ignition system.
    based on my very limited knowledge of electrical the coils, wires and plug caps are within factory specs.
    When I went to the pulse generator that is when the fun starts.
    In the manual it says the ( PG ) Pulse Generator should be warm ( around 70 f ). On the 1990 the test is to check the ohms between the white/yellow and yellow wires as well as the yellow and white/blue wires.
    When I did this I got 298 ohms between the white/yellow and yellow wires and nothing between the yellow and white/blue wires. In the manual it says I should have read some where's between 200 and 400 ohms on both sides.
    Did I screw up somewhere?
    Does this all sound right?
    Does anyone know which wires relate to which plugs? I ask this because if I was to guess the spark at cyl #3 looked weak last fall before storage
    Thanks from co-19 land and tragic loss in Nova Scotia

• Member Contributer

Hi Hingley.

I'm sure it's a typo error in the procedure.

Once you've disconnected the 4P Black connector you now have the two coils isolated, so one coil will have the Yellow and the White/Yellow wires. The other coil will be the Blue and the White/Blue wires. So an ohmmeter reading of each coil should be very much the same. Within the 200-400 ohms as specified

The procedure is incorrectly saying to measure the Yellow-White to Blue - It should be White-Blue to Blue. See the wiring diagram attached.

Cheers.

image.png

image.png

• Member Contributer

Mr. Haynes agrees with you.  :happy:

Ciao,

JZH

You guys are right on the money

I went out to the garage tonight and sure enough you were right the manual I was using had the wire colors wrong

The part I can not get over is that my manual is the Honda factory service manual and the other one that said the same thing was  clymer

I always thought the factory manuals were the best but I guess not

In any case the pulse generator checked out as ok so now I have to refocus on the coils/wires 

Thanks guys

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Hingley said:

You guys are right on the money

I went out to the garage tonight and sure enough you were right the manual I was using had the wire colors wrong

The part I can not get over is that my manual is the Honda factory service manual and the other one that said the same thing was  clymer

I always thought the factory manuals were the best but I guess not

In any case the pulse generator checked out as ok so now I have to refocus on the coils/wires 

Thanks guys

Good news Hingley. Glad you've at least sorted out the Pulse Gen Coils.

Yes, off the top of my head, I can think of at least three other descriptions of operation that are ambiguous or wrong in various generations of VFR Service Manuals, that being the Bank Angle Sensor, PAIR Valve and Air Intake Flapper Diaphragm.

Funny, I'm just looking at a 5gen wiring diagram and the labelling of the Starter Switch and Engine Stop Switch are back the front!. :wacko: Sure doesn't make things easy at times!

Cheers.:beer:

Archived