Singapore - Need advice

DocBusa

Hi Folks:    I am an American, but been working in Singapore for several years and now "stuck" thanks to COVID.  Regardless, I have had a 2011 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo here for the past 2.5 years.   I really don't ride it enough as I also own a scooter (Burgman 400) that I ride almost every day.  So, I decided to sell off the Ducati (13.6 km total and in MINT condition - lots of extras).   But, enter pandemic and the market is flat.   Recently, a local fellow offered me a 2012 VFR1200F DCT as an equal trade (https://sg.carousell.com/p/honda-vfr1200f-dct-1002924424/?t-id=12102749_1588687709922&t-referrer_browse_type=search_results&t-referrer_request_id=qOJ4NNEKx-vvAH3U&t-referrer_search_query=vfr1200f&t-referrer_sort_by=popular) .   The VFR has 29,000 KM and looks to be bone stock, except the topbox.  Has the Honda side panniers and the center stand.  While I really like the Monster and put a lot of $$$ into it, it is not very practical around here, especially with a pillion (aka wife).  I have read some basics about this bike and watched some youtube.   I rode it around a parking garage today and it seemed smooth (albeit heavy!).   Can anyone help guide me as to what to look for, ask, etc.  He was a very nice young guy, 4th owner, had it just one year.  Was dropped at stand still on one side, but looks fine to me.  My bike is in better shape and lower miles, but my asking price is nearly identical to his.   My main worries are....    considering I am stuck on a small island with 100 km (62 mile)/hr speedlimits, is this an OK choice?  Is it good for hauling a passenger?  If it is really reliable and comfortable, I could ride it from here to Thailand after COVID passes....    

Anyway, I am leaning towards doing the trade, but I hate to go in blindly.  Any/all recommendations GREATLY appreciated!  Thanks   

Please note, Singapore is tricky for parts!!!  I usually get my Ducati parts back in the USA and carry back to Singapore in my luggage.  Who knows when I will be able to do that again.....    The Ducati just at $600 SGD of service done and it is running like an absolute BEAST (new sprockets & chain, air box mod, race computer/exhaust, etc.).   Anyway, I am torn.  Really looking forward to you VFR guys educating me on this one.  Thanks in Advance!

• Member Contributer

The owner of this website has a 2010 VFR1200, and he's put some miles on it. I'm sure he would be an excellent choice to give you honest, objective answers to your questions. 

I just sent him a PM with a link to this thread, hopefully he will chime in.

11 minutes ago, FromMaine said:

The owner of this website has a 2010 VFR1200, and he's put some miles on it. I'm sure he would be an excellent choice to give you honest, objective answers to your questions. 

I just sent him a PM with a link to this thread, hopefully he will chime in.

Thank you VERY much.  In Singapore, it is tricky....  I am not sure what model year the bike actually is....   I hope 2012, but it might be a 2011.  Anyway to tell the difference?   It's not so easy to tell by registration (they go by the date of Certificate of Entitlement - don't ask.....)

• Member Contributer

The year of manufacturing is in the VIN #

• Forum CEO

I have no experience with the DTC, mine is standard.  I had fueling issues in 1st and 2nd gear, I solved that with an aftermarket pipe to rid myself of the exhaust flap thing that seems to be the issue, and then I got full power by using a gear tricking device that always reads 3rd gear or higher.  Seems the lower gears had bad maps, i forgot what they call the device it just plugs into the gear indicator wire harness.  It was like the revs would drop out between gears and it was really unnerving.  I have no idea how the DTC handles that its all fly by wire and might not even be a problem at all.  

The wieght is a problem if your used to carrying lots of corner speed, obviously its different now.  The biggest thing is being smooth on the throttle, the bike is front heavy, it wants to turn but the wieght makes flicking it side to side problematic, it is really stable though. However on really bumpy roads its not so compliant, stiff forks and shock.  I have 70k on mine and its been a very reliable comfortable bike, I have been in downpours and its just fine in the heavy rain.  Some guys reprogram the ecu to get full power in all gears, and to map the fuel for more power and less smog compliance.  I am happy with the way it fuels now. I use Pilot road tires for good milage and a good trade off for grip.  Dont turn in like a sport tire but offers good grip, I am not that fast anyway. 

Hi Miguel:  Thanks for the well thought out reply.  This is the kind of info I have been looking for.  It is a bit more challenging since I am a world away in Singapore where the weather is ALWAYS 90+ degrees, humid, and salt air.  Seems polymers and metal alike disintegrate quickly.  I think I will go for the VFR just for a change of pace.  But, it always sucks to put so much "love" (aka $$) into your machine to get it dialed-in perfectly, then sell.....    Of course, the Ducati has it's fair share of issues here as well.   I really do appreciate the post.  I will post-up what I decided to do....  probably tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  Thanks

• Member Contributer

I echo Miguel's comments. I owned a 2010 VFR1200F from 2010 through 2017. Not the DCT but I have ridden the DCT version belonging to another VFRD member. My comments:

It is ~600lbs. The weight is low, but it is not light. Greeeeat motor, can't beat a Honda V4, ~140hp. If you are going to work on it yourself beware, the plastic is a real PITA to get off, and twice as annoying to put back on. The bike loves sweepers, rails through turns. Never left me stranded, very reliable.

The DCT works very well, as advertised. You can go fully automatic or paddle shift with the levers on the left handlebar. I prefer manual clutch and gears, but your taste may vary. The only time I felt the DCT was inferior was at parking lot speeds where I wished I had a clutch.

Anyway, I traded that bike for a Ducati. You may want to do the reverse!

Oh, and the device Miguel mentioned that tricks the ECU into thinking it is in 3rd gear or higher is from Bazzaz.

• Member Contributer

I'd echo what's been said so far.

Mine is a 2014 model and it had some 'lumpiness' in the first couple of gears so I also fitted an aftermarket end can (a DAM, from Belgium), removing the flapper valve cable at the same time and this seemed to cure the problem.

I've had some £££ spent on the suspension too which helps to improve the turn-in, but also make sit easier to hold a line out of a bend. TBH, it transformed the bike IMO.

I originally wanted DCT but couldn't pass the bargain that my bike was. The only downside I found on my DCT test rides was as St Stephen said; low speed/low gear manoeuvring where on a standard bike you'd balance the clutch against the rear brake to control speed. I didn't find a way to do that on the DCT but I guess with practice and a light touch on the throttle, you could probably manage it.

Best of luck whatever you decide.  :beer:

Thanks guys!  Well, I did it!   I traded the Ducati for the VFR1200F DCT....    So far, I am really enjoying the Honda.  The Monster was fun around town, and it will take me a while to get used to the VFR, but so far so good.   The DCT is a BLAST!   I have not had to work it around a parking lot yet, but around the car park where I bought it, I was ok.   The bike felt heavy at low speed maneuvering, but the DCT was ok.   The rear brake feels really weak though, takes a lot of pressure to give a meager amount of stopping power.  Is that normal?

Thanks again!

Archived