5 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Hmm, that color doesn't match the description: "5th gen in the best color ". 😀

Don't forget red is the fastest too.

• Member Contributer

Hmmm . . .

Possible deducts from the price

2nd or more owners? 

Looks like the brake lever is bent (how did that happen? - usually in a tipover)

Is the clutch cover scratched? - might 'splain the above . . .  Those covers are not cheap.

If it was tipped over, is that Honda plastic or Chinese?

Where's the seat cowl?

If it were me I'd want the stickers gone, that can be a PITA (or not - sometimes they just peel off . . .).  Unfortunately the paint can fade around them so even gone their outline is still visible.

I'd want to know what's going on with the front fender - why is that black patch on there - hiding a crack, or similar? If it's paint definitely another deduct

The rubber plug on the R side of the frame where you insert the screwdriver to adjust idle is missing

On Y2K's and '01's there should be a rubber plug right behind the seat in the plastic to plug the square hole the cowl inserts in to.  Says "VFR" on it.

What are the date codes on the tires?  If before 0117 (1st week of 2017) you'll likely want new ones - another possible leverage item

Don't forget maintenance items on a 20 year old bike.  Note some of the threads about the hoses / thermostat under the throttle body.  Unless a fussy owner those have probably never been touched. 

They seem to have settled in the range of about $2,500 to $3,500 even for a really mint example.  There was a Y2K that sold last summer that had a (very rare) Wolf exhaust, 8 spoke wheel, Helibars and Corbin seat for $3,000.   this one has none of that - I'd try to negotiate to the lower end if I could.   Maybe someplace in the middle, with average wear and tear for 40,xxx miles.  With millions suddenly unemployed, there are going to be tons of bikes to choose from - probably don't need to pay top Dollar. 

• Member Contributer

The bike doesn't look like it's had the best of care, so plan on doing lots of maintenance. You'll drop $500 into that in a minute......

Maybe around $2300 tops, I would go to try for $1900.

But really, when I go for a certain bike, I search the planet for the best example I can find, in reality I would pass on that bike if the plan was to keep for myself.... there's always others....

Archived