Smelled the smoke, then saw the smoke... now what?

Scott45

I was all geared up for a spring ride and got halfway out of my driveway when I smelled the acrid odor of burning electrical things.  I stopped, engine still running and to my recollection no dashboard warning lights, and looked down and happened to visually catch the slightest wisp of white smoke drifting up from between my dash and handlebars.  Engine still running, I watched for a few seconds more and tried to "smell around" whilst still in my helmet and saw another wisp make its way up from the same general location.

I shut the bike down, pushed it into the garage and, hoping to get lucky and just see a burned/melted part to replace, started taking off front end parts to see what I could see.  6th Gen front ends are not easy to take apart.  Since I have no idea what I'm looking for or what could have caused the smoke without affecting the engine or causing a dash light I'm coming to you guys for help on where to start.  I'm not afraid to take most things apart but I'm not very confident with electrical problems.

If it matters, my mechanic had a bear of a time replacing a burned out headlamp and reported having to take off a lot of plastic to finally do it.  Maybe he or his hired bubba was too rough in there and something got out of alignment? 

Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

Remove a lot of plastic to replace a bulb?  Does he have hands the size of a coal shovel?

Yes, it can require a nimble hand, but RTFM prior makes life easy...

Tricky to diagnose "white smoke" remotely (unless in the Vatican), so hoping that the "short" it is nothing major.

• Member Contributer

You're lucky... electrical fires can be devastating... this occurred when R/R quick disconnect over heated...

Inspect ever wire and connection for heat resistance... have quick access to the battery in case you see more smoke...

TcvPjD3.jpg

TUwDVzA.jpg

• Member Contributer

On a 6th gen the harness runs around the perimeter of the frame on its under side behind the steering stem. If the stator / RR connectors have been positively ruled out as shown above, (they are common failure points and where I would look 1st),  if it were mine  I'd  pull the front fairing off and remove the airbox to gain access to everything.  Looking down in there will be easier if the tank is off,  but not necessary.  Then get a hand mirror people use for their contact lenses and thoroughly inspect the harness / connectors for signs it's been hot or chafed  wires. Do the same behind the instrument cluster  - headlight relays etc.  Do a Youtube search for VFR front fairing and you'll find an excellent video that will walk you through its removal. 

At one meet I was at,  a 6th gen had a low beam burned out.  Over the span of 45 mins, 8 people tried to remove the connector from the bulb until it finally  gave it up.  It's not so much getting a hand in there,  its getting sufficient grip in such a tight space and at such an awkward angle to squeeze the tab that releases it. It really is a PITA on a 6G. 

On my 6G, I've had each and every connector on it apart and treated the pins with Oxgard  (NOT dielectric grease).  Over it's 30,000+ miles I've had no issues with them.  I inspect them every other year,  particularly before a long trip.

Let us know how this comes out. 

Thanks for the info guys.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Regarding the main headlight replacement on the G6, the secret is to slightly push in on the connector, pinch the two taps on the sides, and then pull the connector off while pinching.  I was amazed at how easily it came off after I had spent quite a lot of time and frustration (not to mention money as I eventually had to give up and pay the mechanic) trying to just pull them off without pinching. 

The problem was with the main headlamp connector.  It wasn't completely melted down but something cooked off in there enough to slag one side of it pretty good.  The shop is going to replace it for me so should be up and running soon.  Glad it wasn't a huge deal - just a hard place to get tools into.

Archived