No Power

Jenny

So someone tried to steal my VFR800, 1998 model. They cut the ignition wire, see photos. Have re-terminated them and nothing....no power at all not even the clock. Battery is good and so are the fuses. Not keen on going to mechanic cause I want to sell it so don’t want to spend money....any suggestions?

5D1277DB-22BD-425D-899B-F10DC6FE2D19.jpeg

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, Jenny said:

So someone tried to steal my VFR800, 1998 model. They cut the ignition wire, see photos. Have re-terminated them and nothing....no power at all not even the clock. Battery is good and so are the fuses. Not keen on going to mechanic cause I want to sell it so don’t want to spend money....any suggestions?

5D1277DB-22BD-425D-899B-F10DC6FE2D19.jpeg

The rotten bastards, sorry to hear about that. Can you confirm that what you are holding in you hand is a Red wire, a Red with Black trace and a Blue with Orange trace. And are the wires still connected to the Ignition Switch, so your picture is just the severed loom from your switch?

If it just a severed loom then you only need to join wire to wire noting the colour code for each wire.

There is a good chance that your 30amp Main Fuse A at the starter relay could be blown. You would have wanted to remove this fuse (or disconnect the battery) during repair as you are dealing with HOT wires (12v direct from your battery)

Good luck get back to us once you've confirmed the Main Fuse condition.

Do you have a wiring diagram of your bike?

12 minutes ago, Grum said:

The rotten bastards, sorry to hear about that. Can you confirm that what you are holding in you hand is a Red wire, a Red with Black trace and a Blue with Orange trace. And are the wires still connected to the Ignition Switch, so your picture is just the severed loom from your switch?

If it just a severed loom then you only need to join wire to wire noting the colour code for each wire.

There is a good chance that your 30amp Main Fuse at the starter relay could be blown. Check that.

Good luck get back to us once you've confirmed the Main Fuse is Ok.

Do you have a wiring diagram of your bike?

Yes all the wires were still connected and were just severed - joined them all back up using the correct colour coding. Checked both 30amp fuses and they are okay (well don’t appear blown and don’t appear corroded).

Yes I downloaded the manual from this site, have checked most connectors for power and nothing has power until we get back near the battery.

Could it have caused some short somewhere? Or caused a problem with the RR or even blown the stator (I’ve had a blown stator before)?

• Member Contributer

There's no doubt that severing these wires and having them dangling around that the Red wire direct from your main fuse could have shorted to frame.

You need to grab a voltmeter and confirm you have 12v at both sides of the main fuse, check both fuses. Confirm you also have 12v at the Clock sub fuse A.

You need to follow the RED wire from it source being the Main Fuse A that you are getting 12v on this wire right up to the Ignition Switch. Check this wire first.

Wouldn't be surprised if the pricks trying to steal your bike haven't broken a wire directly off the Ignition Switch, you might need to check how the wires are right at the switch.

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, Jenny said:

Could it have caused some short somewhere? Or caused a problem with the RR or even blown the stator (I’ve had a blown stator before)?

Short yes, but this would take out your Main fuse. Should have no impact on Stator or R/R.

34 minutes ago, Grum said:

There's no doubt that severing these wires and having them dangling around that the Red wire direct from your main fuse could have shorted to frame.

You need to grab a voltmeter and confirm you have 12v at both sides of the main fuse, check both fuses. Confirm you also have 12v at the Clock sub fuse A.

You need to follow the RED wire from it source being the Main Fuse A that you are getting 12v on this wire right up to the Ignition Switch. Check this wire first.

Wouldn't be surprised if the pricks trying to steal your bike haven't broken a wire directly off the Ignition Switch, you might need to check how the wires are right at the switch.

Thanks, will check all that and come back to you. Appreciate the info.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you got your bike back 😀  I too am having the same problem...NO power when ignition switched on.  Main fuse is OK as is starter relay fuse  and other sub-fuses.    My problem  was not the result of cut wires.  One day it started and the next time it didn't.  Was wondering if the starter switch could be the issue.  Are these known to just fail, out of the blue.  Never an issue before..  Thanks. 

As I mentioned on the other site if the bike goes dead it's usually loose battery cables.  The clock has it's own wire and fuse so if it goes dead that's a good clue.

• Member Contributer

Call me cautious but might I mention, new user, stolen bike, girls name & what appears to be a male hand in the picture. 

Can anyone vouch for this user, before sharing info on how to steal & or fix stolen US model VFR’s.  Euro versions from Y2K have anti-theft HISS technology. 

Archived