10 years . . .

• Member Contributer

This a.m. I looked at my profile and noticed that I joined the forum 10 years ago today.   Thinking back, I had not been on a forum previously and no idea what I was getting in to.   I also signed up on the "other" VFR forum, but it never quite clicked for me - I've spent most of my time here.  Along the way I've been able to take some great trips to attend meets, see things I probably would not have as well as find out loads of information to do mods and repairs that I would never have known about.  But most importantly have been the people.  I've made some lovely friends that I keep in touch with and occasionally get to ride with - the people on here have been the best!  I guess with any forum it's "easy come, easy go" - members simply disappear in to the mist - life or interests change and they move on.  Some have been ones I really enjoyed and wish would have hung around, but that's life.  However new ones come to take their place and new friends can be made. 

Mostly I would like to say "Thank You" to Miguel for creating and putting his energy in to this forum for us all to enjoy.  I've had the pleasure of meeting and riding with him.  I'm not sure he knows how much effect he's had on people's lives by doing this for us.  It's a big commitment of time for him - we should all be grateful.  Don't take it for granted. 

I hope we're all still doing this 10 years from now - in some regards I have my doubts - mainly because the tide is turning against what we like to do.  So I take every ride as a blessing and consider it a success when I roll back in to the garage with the bike as nice and shiny as it was when I left.  2020 will probably not be a year for us all to be out much, but am looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones in 2021. 

So a big THANK YOU to Miguel - it's been a great ride!  :fing02:

Shiny side up

• Member Contributer

Cheers Cogswell, happy anniversary. This forum is an excellent place to be. I also am here 10x as much as I am on VFRW. This group is very much my style and speed. Thanks for the wealth of your contributions over the years.

• Member Contributer

Happy anniversary to my Swell brother. Very well said about this fabulous website. I feel the same regarding the genius of Miguel. VFRD has become a second family for me. 

And it has been my pleasure to hang with you at the SumSum s. I was just recently reliving the ride up The Black Canyon of the Gunnison River with another Honda rider (Goldwing) in my neighborhood. That was one of the Rides Of My Life. The hares on the back of my neck still rise when I think of that trip.

Take care and ride safe Cogs. 

• Member Contributer

Well spoken Cogs, have to agree, Miguel is doing the heavy lifting around here keeping this up and running for all of us to enjoy, and be wiser about our bikes. Many Thanks Miguel.

3 hours ago, adkfinn said:

Cheers Cogswell, happy anniversary. This forum is an excellent place to be. I also am here 10x as much as I am on VFRW. This group is very much my style and speed. Thanks for the wealth of your contributions over the years.

Yes indeed, I belong to 2 bike forums, this one and a First Gen. V4.  Both are member supported, which kinda resonates with me and how I approach riding and belonging to a certain group. Nothing wrong with VFRW, seems to be a well run site with some knowledgeable people, but I've never felt the urge to join. Although I to just passed the 10 year mark, up until last Oct. I had met just 2 VFRD members, one in Portland Maine in 2010, the other in London, England in 2015. Last Oct. I rode down to Abingdon VA. for the Fall ride, and well, met a bunch of like minded members who convinced me (unknowingly) that I needed to make it to at least one vfrd meet a year. So, lets get this show on the road🙂

• Member Contributer

Very well said.  I remember meeting you at the 2010 meet in Troutdale, along with several other members of this site.  I've enjoyed riding around the backroads in the PNW with you ever since.  I just wish we had more time to be able to get out and do this more often.

.....and thanks again to Miguel and all the other members of this site who continue to keep it alive and going!

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, FromMaine said:

Well spoken Cogs, have to agree, Miguel is doing the heavy lifting around here keeping this up and running for all of us to enjoy, and be wiser about our bikes. Many Thanks Miguel.

Yes indeed, I belong to 2 bike forums, this one and a First Gen. V4.  Both are member supported, which kinda resonates with me and how I approach riding and belonging to a certain group. Nothing wrong with VFRW, seems to be a well run site with some knowledgeable people, but I've never felt the urge to join. Although I to just passed the 10 year mark, up until last Oct. I had met just 2 VFRD members, one in Portland Maine in 2010, the other in London, England in 2015. Last Oct. I rode down to Abingdon VA. for the Fall ride, and well, met a bunch of like minded members who convinced me (unknowingly) that I needed to make it to at least one vfrd meet a year. So, lets get this show on the road🙂

Meet you in the middle once we are allowed to ride? 

• Member Contributer

Cheers to you Cogswell. :beer:CONGRATULATIONS on a decade of decadence!!!

There's a great core of wise old farts on this forum, which I include you in. I've learn't a lot from the wisdom that only comes from experience and old age:fing02: Thanks for your wise inputs old fella!

Thanks for all your efforts Miguel.

Cheers from the upside down crew 14,000k's away. Safe riding everyone.:fing02:

• Member Contributer

Great post Cogswell, and once again thank you Miguel. As someone who is "between" VFR's for the first time in more than 30 years, this is still my go-to forum. So great to have so many knowledgeable and passionate members, and so little nasty behavior (which actually is sometimes entertaining here because it so rarely happens).

I do go to my Multistrada and RC-51 sites for help, but VFRD is best of class. Great look and feel, no ads, member supported. Instead of another Veefalo we should all pay for Miguel's health insurance!

Well you made me look, and I was really surprised to see I joined in early 2005--I was sure it was less than 10 years ago! Everyone in the photo below is a VFRD forum member. Just say "egg" to any of them and they will immediately remember this moment. Thanks again Miguel. 

IMG_1328.JPG

• Member Contributer

Cogwell - congrats on your 10 years here... I have enjoyed your posts as well... 

You made me go look when I joined up, holy xxxx 2006, whao 14 years..

I must check on 5 or 6 mc forums everyday, and definately agree VFRD is the class of all. 

Best tech people of motorcycling anywhere.... people willing to jump in and help.... 

And of course as with eveyone... a big thanks to Miguel...  :beer:

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, adkfinn said:

Meet you in the middle once we are allowed to ride? 

Yes. I'll send you my details. We are under stay at home until end of May now. If it does lift by then I'll be busy first couple of weeks in June but anytime after.

Congrats on the anniversary!

I just checked my own profile - joined May 22, 2006, which was actually about 3 months before I bought my 6th gen.  I used to be very active on VFRD, and just a little active on the 'other' VFR forum.  Made some good friends here, met up and rode with some great folks, attended a few TMacs, made a friend who helped with my bike's maintenance, and learned how to do a few things myself.

Even though I've not been here much the last several years, VFRD has been very important to me.  Thanks to Miguel for his dedication and hard work!

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, TimC said:

Congrats on the anniversary!

I just checked my own profile - joined May 22, 2006, which was actually about 3 months before I bought my 6th gen.  I used to be very active on VFRD, and just a little active on the 'other' VFR forum.  Made some good friends here, met up and rode with some great folks, attended a few TMacs, made a friend who helped with my bike's maintenance, and learned how to do a few things myself.

Even though I've not been here much the last several years, VFRD has been very important to me.  Thanks to Miguel for his dedication and hard work!

Hey Tim, I remember our first TMac. That was quite a weekend. Every VFRD meet up I've attended been a fabulous experience. Fabulous Flolks in Fabulous Places.

I've been enjoying this asylum for 12+ years and I've learned so much and had so much fun.

Thanks y'all.

• Member Contributer
On 5/1/2020 at 7:48 AM, Cogswell said:

Mostly I would like to say "Thank You" to Miguel for creating and putting his energy in to this forum for us all to enjoy.  I've had the pleasure of meeting and riding with him.  I'm not sure he knows how much effect he's had on people's lives by doing this for us.  It's a big commitment of time for him - we should all be grateful.  Don't take it for granted.

So a big THANK YOU to Miguel - it's been a great ride!  :fing02:

Shiny side up

All great comments but I want to highlight this, Miguel and the other moderators run a great site. I bought a Ducati about 2.5 years ago and they've got a good forum, https://www.ducati.ms/, but I spend 4x the time here still.

My own 14 year anniversary on vfrd is in a few days. Thanks all.

• Member Contributer

Thanks to all the replies and kind wishes - even some PM's from you - it just reinforces what I already know about so many of you - a great group of people.  How lucky - one of or maybe the best genre of bike ever made and then to have such a great forum to support it.  It's amazing that members that have moved on from the V4 formula still visit here regularly.  That alone says a lot.

But speaking of support, I'm going to put a call out to all of you that able to provide support.  We're in a worldwide economic emergency that's been really hard financially on millions in virtually every country.  With certainly some if not many members here affected, not everyone is in a position to support the forum - the rest of us that are able need to step up and throw some money in the hopper to help Miguel keep this going for us.  He cannot be expected to go it alone.  It's a significant financial commitment to rent server space and do all the admin the site demands.  We spend a lot more money on going out for burgers each year - by comparison a contribution to the forum is a major return on investment for us.  

So, here is my ask:

Bottom line is that we need people who can to step up and put in their financial support while we still have this forum.  There are likely fewer that can contribute this year and maybe even for the next few yeas, so we need everyone that is able to step up.   It can't last without that support, so if you haven't so far, look deep and donate what you can and help your brothers and sisters here who are less fortunate.

Thanks to all. 

Cogs

33 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Bottom line is that we need people who can to step up and put in their financial support while we still have this forum.  There are likely fewer that can contribute this year and maybe even for the next few yeas, so we need everyone that is able to step up.   It can't last without that support, so if you haven't so far, look deep and donate what you can and help your brothers and sisters here who are less fortunate.

I just made a long-overdue donation yesterday.  I've not been here much in several years, but since I've been here a bit recently, I figured it was time to pony up a little.

I think as I started riding less, and spending more time on social media, my time here really dwindled.  But I've been riding more in the last year, and I'm pretty fed up with social media lately.  VFRD is a terrific alternative, where the biggest controversy and heated argument is likely to be about what kind of oil to put in a VFR.  😄

Archived