High idle at startup?

Sparkie

My 2014 vfr800 has been idling high at startup for a little while.  27,000 miles on it.  It starts up at 2000 rpm, then goes back to 1100 after a few minutes.  I seem to recall it had a high idle of around 1500 when new.  Is it starter valves?  Fast idle wax unit?  It's been 40° to 50°F, could it be from the cool weather?

• Member Contributer

That’s exactly what mine does ...no problem 

• Member Contributer

Yep sounds weather related so NOP

What are the rpms when the water temp is first displayed?  should be close to idle level

Probably not necessary, but I like to see the water temp displayed before taking off

Idle stays around 2,000 til water hits 120, then starts dropping.  It's at 1100 around 130°. This was today, 60° out.

Sometimes high idle is more like 3000 rpm when it's cold.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Sparkie said:

Idle stays around 2,000 til water hits 120, then starts dropping.  It's at 1100 around 130°. This was today, 60° out.

Sometimes high idle is more like 3000 rpm when it's cold.

Hi Sparkie.

Did a test for you on my 2014 8gen.

- Ambient temperature = 11degC (51.8degF)

- At start up Idle went to 2500rpm, it took 1min45secs for the temp gauge to register at 35degC (95degF).

- RPM dropped back to 2000 at approx 42degC (107.6degF)

- Normal Idle RPM of 1200 at approx 60degC (140degF) after approx 3min30sec.

As long as it's settling down to 1200rpm when warmed up, you're all good. The warm idle adjuster knob is just above and forward of your clutch slave cylinder.

Update:. I put the noise killers back into my exhaust and the problem went away.  It seems that a vfr with open exhaust running at 3000 rpm in a garage sounds much louder than one with a silenced exhaust.  😉

Archived