ECU to Speedo Serial Link

Coxylaad

Hi,

Does anyone have any information on the serial link between the ecu and the speedo? 

Anyone one know any details of the protocol that it uses, message format etc?

any information would be greatly appreciated

• Member Contributer

Try the Swiss guy who makes the cool electronic cruise control for the 7th gen.  I'd expect he knows...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Do you have issues with the Instrument Panel? What's the benefit of knowing its data format or protocol?

From a close look at the circuit diagram, as best as I can establish, this is the info sent down the Serial Buss from the ECM. All other Instrument Panel functions have independent inputs or internal function eg the Clock.

- Gear position.

- Oil pressure LED

- MIL diagnostic LED.

- Traction Control off LED. (If your model has it)

As to the data format I would imagine only the Honda engineers would know.

• Member Contributer

Oh, BiKenG might know about this as well.  I know he swapped instrument panels around on his VFR1200-based bike.

Ciao,

JZH

I've been speaking to Ken (BikenG)  about it. 

between us we are looking at deciphering the serial protocol so we can run different clocks and still retain the infomation provided by the ecu.

There is nothing wrong with my clocks, other than I think they are too big to fit my project bike. 

Who is the Swiss guy?

• Member Contributer

Ah, he's not Swiss; he's Polish, but I believe he lived in Switzerland at the time he developed the VFR1200 cruise control.  See this thread: https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/83266-veefour-electronic-cruise-control-installed-and-tested/

Veeefour.  His name is Prez.  Haven't seen him around for a while.  Good luck--tell Ken I said hi!

Ciao,

JZH

Archived