What did you do with your VFR1200 today?

Skids

• Member Contributer

Seems like some of the other models have a thread like this, but not us, so here goes.

Today I replaced the OEM brake discs with a set of EBC discs. Also fitted new EBC HH brake pads and fitted them all back together with sets of Pro-Bolt SS bolts (disc, caliper & ABS ring).

One of the discs had become ever so slightly warped so as I have plenty of time on my hands right now, seemed a good opportunity. Now all I have to do is find an "essential" journey to go and bed them in!

IMAG0969.jpg

IMAG0970.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tracked down a pesky coolant leak...turns out the water pump weep hole is more than weeping, so I ordered a new one. At least I’ll get the coolant flush and refill done at the same time...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Managed to find an excuse to bed the front discs in today; as our restrictions have been eased a little recently, I went to see my daughter. Took the 1200 on a x-country route and bedded them in nicely.

There is not a single ride I do on this bike that I don't get off and think; "jeez, I love this bike!"

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Skids said:

There is not a single ride I do on this bike that I don't get off and think; "jeez, I love this bike!"

Same here.  10 years and 120,000km later and I still say it.  I turned down my wife's suggestion earlier this week that I should look at a new bike b/c maybe prices will be better.   Never gave it a second thought. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Wow 267,000mph that's one hell of a bike. Gotta be a Red one of course!:wheel:

Yeah, the 1200's limiter is set at 265,000mph, so he was taking a bit of a risk there. 😜

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Finally managed to fit my Helibars and they really do seem to make a difference but only time will tell. I may also need a new/higher screen as the wind is definitely hitting me in the face now with the higher bars. 

• Member Contributer

Went on a rideout Friday evening with my son on his CB650R. Beautiful evening for riding ending with a nice Asian meal. The Helibars are a definite boost to my moral; I can ride with ease now, no more strain on my wrists.

My son's a physio at Royal Papworth hospital so I met him there end of his shift then we rode from Cambridge over to Haverhill, down to Finchingfield (most beautiful village award winner) then across to Buntingford for our meal. Only an hour or so but it was great to finally get on a rideout with him.

Took both wheels off the bike this afternoon so I can get new Metzeller Roadtec 1's (heavy weight version) fitted Tuesday.

• Forum CEO

found a blown fork seal, replaced it and replaced the fork oil.  Scratched my head on how to take apart the cassette to inspect the valving.  I am thinking of revalveing the cassette but I have no clue how they come apart. I have only worked on older cassettes.  I never liked the compression feel of the forks. 

Decided to get my luggage resprayed the other week.. the panniers were flaking paint since I got the bike 2yrs ago due to a dodgy respray earlier in their lives and the 45ltr top box was black.
Now all looking much more presentable

42d8f3f15a1bf2b55bf3b4919cc8ca99.jpg
a53e2dfc422c0a84fa7e35b6958cfdfa.jpg

Gotta get some rubber sticky tape to reattach the rubber backrest to the top box and it’s done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good with matching paint. 

Cheers mate

Yeah the mismatched topbox in black just made the bike look a bit strange IMO. Took me far too long to get around to getting it painted but super chuffed it’s struck off the list (at long last!).

Next on the list is; custom seat retrim, decat and power commander
Also giving serious consideration to bar risers ..might make for a more comfy riding position on the longer journeys.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, RedlineDrifter said:

Cheers mate emoji1362.png

Yeah the mismatched topbox in black just made the bike look a bit strange IMO. Took me far too long to get around to getting it painted but super chuffed it’s struck off the list (at long last!).

Next on the list is; custom seat retrim, decat and power commander emoji1377.png
Also giving serious consideration to bar risers emoji848.png ..might make for a more comfy riding position on the longer journeys.

The Helibars on mine are definitely worth it, they saved the bike for me as it was becoming increasingly difficult to ride for long periods with the strain on my wrists and back.

Rather than decat and PC, have you considered getting the ECU flashed? You can have the restrictions in the first 3 gears removed and the top speed limiter, plus other things too. There's a guy in Holland able to do it remotely via your own laptop/PC. There's a link in my sig below. I'm not recommending him as I don't know him, just pointing him out. There's also Don Guhl in the US who has a good track record with members on here but you have to remove the ECU and send it to him in the US.

52 minutes ago, Skids said:

The Helibars on mine are definitely worth it, they saved the bike for me as it was becoming increasingly difficult to ride for long periods with the strain on my wrists and back.

Rather than decat and PC, have you considered getting the ECU flashed? You can have the restrictions in the first 3 gears removed and the top speed limiter, plus other things too. There's a guy in Holland able to do it remotely via your own laptop/PC. There's a link in my sig below. I'm not recommending him as I don't know him, just pointing him out. There's also Don Guhl in the US who has a good track record with members on here but you have to remove the ECU and send it to him in the US.

You put the helibars on in the end then?

I have definitely noticed the difference in mine, it's a much nicer riding position. It feels like Honda intended this to be a sportsbike that can perhaps tour, rather than a sporty touring bike if that makes sense!!

MCT trip in just over 2 weeks, I'm closely eyeing up the MCCruise electronic cruise control for next...

• Member Contributer

Yes, bars went on last week and it is such an improvement for me.

What suspension work are you having done?

Thanks bud. Defo gonna give Helibars a closer look after seat retrim

I have read some of the threads for an ECU flash, and it is interesting me. Restrictions in first 3 gears has only ever interrupted me once over the last 2yrs of ownership (I’m clearly not giving it enough beans ) but as I’ve been lucky enough to take in a few of Germany’s derestricted roads and no doubt will do again I would like the top speed limiter removed

I wonder how the costs stack in comparison. Any idea how much a reflash on the ECU would be from one of those guys?

I’m thinking a PC is about £500 and having a map written + dyno runs would be £200-300?

While I’m sure it’s safe I would be concerned with any “drop out” during the remote flash, unless files are copied locally and whatever is written on to the ECU can be reverted in case of confliction. I used to work for a major OE using SWDL in a past life so I have a little awareness that unexpected things can sometimes happen while updating values in onboard ECUs (and, worse case scenario, a dead ECU would a nightmare to have to sort out).

Plus I was thinking it would be quite nice to retain the ability to remove the PC and recoup funds from it separately or if poss use it on another bike should I ever come to sell the VFR. That said, if a flash is half or a third of the price of a PC then perhaps I could be tempted to consider it.

Something to think about for sure!

• Member Contributer

The reflash is cheaper than PC + Maps/dyno, I think by more than 50%. There are links to both Guhl and Sebsteef in my sig block, try contacting them.

The reflash is cheaper than PC + Maps/dyno, I think by more than 50%. There are links to both Guhl and Sebsteef in my sig block, try contacting them.

When the time comes I will for sure give them a shout and pull the info together to decide. Thanks for sharing matey, really appreciate it

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 11:48 AM, Skids said:

Yes, bars went on last week and it is such an improvement for me.

What suspension work are you having done?

Pretty much same as you I think, MCT internals on the front and Wilbers shock with preload on the back.

I am starting to note the power restrictions in 1st to 3rd. It's actually very hard to lift the front wheel. I think a reflash will have to happen.

The weather isn't as good as it was though, I got wet!!
 118786780_10157787431612896_5116613891306693934_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=XOadDeVKxYIAX-Jsn2W&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=cde5d9cfc09305011cc60a9cb627c019&oe=5F8A20E9

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, rtho782 said:

Pretty much same as you I think, MCT internals on the front and Wilbers shock with preload on the back.

I am starting to note the power restrictions in 1st to 3rd. It's actually very hard to lift the front wheel. I think a reflash will have to happen.

The weather isn't as good as it was though, I got wet!!

You wont regret the suspension work, same as mine. The guys at MCT are excellent. 

Are you aware there is another option than Don Guhl for the reflash? There's a link in my sig to Sabsteef, based in Holland but he can work remotely via a laptop with a cable you have to buy. Please note I'm not recommending him, I've not had mine flashed (yet) but he is an alternative. There may be others.

• Member Contributer

Woooohooooo.

Just wait til he test rides it and gets rid of your chicken strips. You can then claim it was you! :goofy:

Enjoy the transformed ride home.  :beer:

Archived