Rim options for the V1000R SC16?

TheSerge

Hi,

any experiences with swapping rims?

Would like to go for 17 or even 18's. I like the look of the RC30 rims but would also be open to other options.

Show me what u got! 🙂

thx,

sash

• Member Contributer

spacer.png

5.5 x 17 VTR1000F rear rim with 170/60-17

Modified VF500F hub with custom spacers.

CBR929RR rear brake with custom brake stay.

3.5 x 17 CBR1000F front with 120/70-17

1991 VFR fork lowers and brakes with CBR1000F fork tubes.

Custom spacers.

CBR600F2/F3 rims are easier, but I wanted 3 spoke on this bike and just to be different.

spacer.png

CBR1000F 3.5 front and 5.5 rear going on a VF1000F.  Modified CBR1000F rear hub with custom spacers.  Front custom spacers and slightly modified front wheel.  

Both of these options I lose speedo drive.  Don't care, would read wrong anyway.  F2 wheel is the only way to retain a speedo cable off of the front wheel. 

Thank Captain, amazing high quality reply! 

What you mean with "CBR600F2/F3 rims are easier"?

Excuse my bad english: Do i get it right that you would  go for the F2 wheels if the requirement was a 17' front and back upgrade that requires the lowest effort and is poosible with out of the box parts that need no specific customization?

• Member Contributer

Less machining and custom work on F2/3 wheels.  There are numerous paths, but they all require some custom parts, mostly spacers.

F2/3 rear with F2/3 hub is the easiest route probably.  Rear brake will be the hardest, but there are options.

If you can do without the speedo, F3 or 90-93 VFR front wheel is the easiest.  Swap out bearings/seals for smaller axle and custom spacers to center the wheel.

• Member Contributer

I have an F3 front wheel and F2 rear wheel available, in Illinois, USA. PM if anyone is interested. 

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, DonR said:

I like the look of the stock rims but not the sizes. So I swapped the rear 3.5" rim to the front and had a 17" x 5' rim made for the rear.

VF1000R Rim.jpg

Is that an RS hub on the rear?  Did you have bolts made?

Anyway, that is a great solution that I have seen before in different variations.  But probably not a very cheap one.

Archived