My Cherry Kandy 5th Gen build

jk0311

19 hours ago, jk0311 said:

I know! If you like that, youll love this..

For a long time now I have been custodian of my great uncles collection of photos and medals from the war. He was a fighter pilot in 3 Squadron RAAF and learned to fly in England on the spitfire, before going to North Africa to fight against Rommel. His main aircraft was the Kittyhawk though but on the 20th Oct 1942 he was killed in action. As a kid though, I loved watching Baa Baa Black Sheep and seeing that blue Corsair fight the japs. .... now we're riding jap bikes !

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, mello dude said:

Oil cooler looks great, but I wonder if it would work too well and keep the oil below optimum operating temperature? Just a thought.... 

BTW - what was the source for the cooler?

I had thought about the cooler being too efficient but down here in sunny Florida my typical riding OAT is somewhere between 95-105 F all the damn time. So Im hoping it will be just fine. If not Ill fab up an obstruction to block airflow and bring the temps back up. CXracing is where I found it.

Good morning campers.

I didnt have a ton of time this weekend to work on the VFR and Im still waiting on some parts to arrive so I did what I could and started the deep clean/ powder coat prep.

May have taken a few bits off... 

20200516_115159.thumb.jpg.43e627476770fe7a66edee503a03017f.jpg

throttle bodies off... starting to see the carnage of the dead vermin

20200516_120753.thumb.jpg.213acbe2b4d7fd431ea2d17762d34643.jpg

and there he is... well kinda

20200516_121334.thumb.jpg.d30b656f3d864b72a254984b9ff33f6e.jpg

and the damage he caused

20200516_121339.thumb.jpg.4ec1def62a7625caed15d29390b05cbb.jpg

Fun fact: Simple green reconstitutes dehydrated mouse guts quite well. I regret not getting more gloves...The result was not appetizing and therefor did not rate photos. Engine is mostly ready for paint (satin black rattle can) and there are only a few checklist items before the frame, swingarm, and other bits head to PC.

all clean

20200516_172829.thumb.jpg.bfbab4aab8271002c25ecf2860e80b51.jpg

• Member Contributer

:offtopic:

There have been mouse nests in two of the five fifth gens I've bought.

While considering a purchase in eastern Ohio a VFRD thread earlier described finding a nest in the airbox of a machine he'd recently bought. So I had the owner of the machine I was considering check for the same on his. Sure enough, he did find and remove a nest.

After that machine met a deer on the way to Duluth, MN, I bought, sight unseen, my current fifth gen from Virginia. The male owner was out of town so his wife presented the machine stored in their pole barn. Once we got it started I was so confident it was a great machine, I asked to ride it around her yard about 100 yards (meters) just to make sure it was rideable. Gave her the cash, put it on my trailer and took it to Franklin, NC for T-Mac. Once off the trailer I started it up and it ran rather more roughly that I remembered it in the barn. So I checked the air box and sure enough, there was a huge nest in there with string, paper towels and other "nest stuff".

Seems those varmits are every where. Also seems they have very good taste in mc's - especially fifth gens.  

• Member Contributer

Make sure you change the O-rings on the 2 coolant fittings on the heads, 2 on the left side of the block, and thermostat housing. I’m thinking you’re doing a new thermostat, since you’re there. AS3 make beautiful hose and clamp kits, as well. 

11 hours ago, ducnut said:

Make sure you change the O-rings on the 2 coolant fittings on the heads, 2 on the left side of the block, and thermostat housing. I’m thinking you’re doing a new thermostat, since you’re there. AS3 make beautiful hose and clamp kits, as well. 

Oh yes they are all on order as well as AS3 hoses and clamps. Thanks for lookin out though!

Good morning and happy Friday to you, my faithful followers.

Got some more goodies in the mail yesterday. Two 6th gen tanks (couldn't decide which was in better shape so I bought both), Galfer wave rear rotor which at this point Im not 100% sure Ill use so it may go up in classifieds, bearing sleeve so a triumph axle will fit in the VFR hub/eccentric, and some of the AS3 silicone rad hoses I need. Still waiting on quite a few things to show up at the shop before the "build" portion of this build can begin but on a lighter note my hand is healing crazy fast and when the heavy stuff comes in I should have no problems working on the bike! 

RFI: Any of you lot have experience with the Motogadget M-unit? I am considering using it to eliminate a handful of relays, fusebox and clean up some wiring. Ive used Motogadget turn signals on my MT09 and other bikes but haven't used something like this bit of tech before. 

Yeah I put an m unit on my guzzi build. It neatens up the cabling but I would also think that it's a waste without going to button switches. 

15 minutes ago, Knumbnutz said:

Yeah I put an m unit on my guzzi build. It neatens up the cabling but I would also think that it's a waste without going to button switches. 

Funny you should mention button switches. I'm also planning on getting an M button and using it for all switchgear. If your not familiar it allows a single CAN line back to the M unit for all the buttons on both the left and right side of the bars. Should clean it up nice. Thanks for the input Knumbnutz.  

10 hours ago, jk0311 said:

Funny you should mention button switches. I'm also planning on getting an M button and using it for all switchgear. If your not familiar it allows a single CAN line back to the M unit for all the buttons on both the left and right side of the bars. Should clean it up nice. Thanks for the input Knumbnutz.  

Yeah I looked at using one of those but since none of the wires going to the button switches carry current, i used small wire which wasnt really a hassle. Moreover, it was me being a tight ass not to bother buying the little m button thing.

Im using another M Unit on this VFR build too, theyre great and saves on electronic relays for the indicators and headlight relays and also fuses them all. I really can't understand why manufacturers don't do something similar instead of fuse blocks and relays...

On 5/16/2020 at 9:40 AM, Knumbnutz said:

For a long time now I have been custodian of my great uncles collection of photos and medals from the war. He was a fighter pilot in 3 Squadron RAAF and learned to fly in England on the spitfire, before going to North Africa to fight against Rommel. His main aircraft was the Kittyhawk though but on the 20th Oct 1942 he was killed in action. As a kid though, I loved watching Baa Baa Black Sheep and seeing that blue Corsair fight the japs. .... now we're riding jap bikes !

Great post!

After the war the powers that be, rather than capitalising us being the best, invested billions in Germany and Japan, making them the industrial powerhouses of the western interests to fight the Soviet union. This made the japs and germans the absolute best engineers for 50 years. My vfr baby from 1998 is built better than anything I've seen since. Yep, newer bikes are lighter or more user friendly, but bikes are just powerful engines sitting on 2 wheels, and they got it right. Our western accountants, who put our British motorbike industry out of business are now even forcing those beautiful engineering standards to the scrapheap. Dont blame the Chinese,  they just build what they're asked to build and they do it very well! I challenge a new 2020 vfr owner to be where I am with a beautiful bike that with some minor TLC will be just the same in 20 years from now 🙂

• Member Contributer

Looks like excellent work all around, it's going to be a nicely outfitted 5th gen.

BTW, any chance those fairings are still available??

• Member Contributer
On 5/27/2020 at 4:34 AM, Rio800 said:

Great post!

After the war the powers that be, rather than capitalising us being the best, invested billions in Germany and Japan, making them the industrial powerhouses of the western interests to fight the Soviet union. This made the japs and germans the absolute best engineers for 50 years. My vfr baby from 1998 is built better than anything I've seen since. Yep, newer bikes are lighter or more user friendly, but bikes are just powerful engines sitting on 2 wheels, and they got it right. Our western accountants, who put our British motorbike industry out of business are now even forcing those beautiful engineering standards to the scrapheap. Dont blame the Chinese,  they just build what they're asked to build and they do it very well! I challenge a new 2020 vfr owner to be where I am with a beautiful bike that with some minor TLC will be just the same in 20 years from now 🙂

Yes my 5 year old 8th gen is falling apart.......

C7A28A76-9E75-432B-BBDA-7F40CBCCABC0.png

Hey there ladies and germs,

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been crushed at work and family stuff has gotten in the way of my best laid plans. On a positive note I picked this up today....

20200529_151045.thumb.jpg.00dc155cb5cff80b0ea5b0f70f639b6a.jpg

20200529_151057.thumb.jpg.b1c83249d9abf27eab8ad8db49d704cb.jpg

20200529_151105.thumb.jpg.038895cca781f6ee06fe31dbdd8d2f7e.jpg

Happy day. Time to scrub those SuperCorsas and run her in!

Hey there ladies and germs,

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been crushed at work and family stuff has gotten in the way of my best laid plans. On a positive note I picked this up today....

20200529_151045.thumb.jpg.00dc155cb5cff80b0ea5b0f70f639b6a.jpg

20200529_151057.thumb.jpg.b1c83249d9abf27eab8ad8db49d704cb.jpg

20200529_151105.thumb.jpg.038895cca781f6ee06fe31dbdd8d2f7e.jpg

Happy day. Time to scrub those SuperCorsas and run her in!
And the tone of that v4 is only superseded by the Ducati. Awesome ride man
Makes it easy to forget the vfr...

1 hour ago, WackenSS said:

And the tone of that v4 is only superseded by the Ducati. Awesome ride man emoji16.png
Makes it easy to forget the vfr...

Thanks! I'm happy with her. Ahh the VFR will not be forgotten. Got the forks back from traxxion yesterday and the penske should be coming soon as well. It's all a process and I didnt have a rideable ride hence the Tuono. I've been lusting over my buddies RSV4 for about a year and he finally peer pressured the shit outta me into this beast.... didnt take much though lol

At least you take care of what is most lacking in the vfr - suspension! Your vfr is in for a treat
The tuono is very sporty in it's setup bordering on stiff, I guess the viffer will be a nice and comfy yet capable go-to for the other cravings one gets from time to time.

Looking forward to the rest of the project

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning fellow Viffer peeps,

I want to apologize for the momentum kinda dying here for the last few weeks. I walked into work last week and was informed that I, along with the entire fabrication crew, would be laid off due to lack of work and vendor supply train interruption all caused by the lovely COVID 19 virus. Ive been scrambling to find viable ways to keep my family fed and housed but this has left little time to post or work on the VFR. I know Im remiss in my duties and I will strive to provided updates as they come up but the squeeky wheel gets the grease and my teenage kids are hella squeeky about food and having a house blah blah blah. One day they will realize dad was right, all you need is an uninsulated garage, in Florida, in the summer, a few motorbikes, and an unrelenting drive to ignore "grown up" responsibilities in lieu of testosterone fueled two wheeled adventures.

On that note my Penske double clicker came in yesterday! what a beauty she is! My powdercoater seems to have dropped off the map so PCing the frame and swingarm may have to wait. Additionally still waiting on the T-stat, rando hoses, triple trees and some other bits to come in.

Thats all for now

• Member Contributer

Your priorities are in the right place pal. Sorry for the bad news. I have family members in similar situation. We are all in this together. Hope you hang in there.

• Member Contributer

My 2015 Tuono factory and 1999 VFR 800 are natural stablemates. I have a Penski Rear shock and traxxion dynamics fork cartridges with adjustable rebound fork caps in my VFR. No complaints. My 98 had full Racetech valves forks and an Elka shock and was not near as good.

If you could do me a favor though...I would love it if you can send me the data on fork oil levels and viscosity that would help me a lot. Need to service the forks soon.

20171015_090153.jpg

20190908_112016.jpg

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

If you could do me a favor though...I would love it if you can send me the data on fork oil levels and viscosity that would help me a lot. Need to service the forks soon.

Oil level and weight from another rider or the service manual can certainly be good as a starting point, but it'd be more useful to think about your weight / riding style and make adjustments to these values to make the suspension a better fit *to you*!  Of course you should check that Traxxion Dynamics doesn't specify a certain weight of oil for their cartridge.  They may not... but worth asking them what they may recommend and why.

• Member Contributer

Dan, at Traxxion, can easily pull your invoice and grab the info off it. Their valving is specific to the suspension oil they use, so it’s crucial to use the same again. 

• Member Contributer
On 6/17/2020 at 1:43 PM, ducnut said:

Dan, at Traxxion, can easily pull your invoice and grab the info off it. Their valving is specific to the suspension oil they use, so it’s crucial to use the same again. 

Previous owner had the suspension done. I'll check the paperwork that came with the bike and call Dan. thanks 

Archived