My Cherry Kandy 5th Gen build

jk0311

Good afternoon VFRD. Well kids, its time for another build thread so gather round, bring your popcorn, a sense of humor, and a hefty portion of thinly veiled sarcasm. Hopefully this one wont get derailed like my ill fated SV650 build over on SVRider but we shall see with life in the midst of the COVID crazy. Here we go...

Back story: I was the proud owner of a 2019 KTM SuperDuke 1290 R. It was a present to myself and I loved it. It had TrackPack (wheelie control disable, track mode, TC adjustment), Full Akra Ti exhaust, little Rizoma bits all over, etc. In short the perfect hooligan bike. New years eve it was stolen from my driveway never to be seen again. I cried. Fast forward a few months and insurance has paid out on the SDR so Im on the hunt for a replacement. I decide a $20k bike is not something I want to do again so soon (wife helped that decision) so I settled on a VFR. Always liked the engineering in them, the cam driven gears, single sided swingarm and of course the howl of the V4. So 5th Gen hunting I went and I found one just up the road in Ocala FL. Single owner, 1900 miles and everything original. I was dumbfounded. A 20 yr old brand new VFR was soon in my garage.

The build: Ok so its practically new, but its also 20 years old, with original everything. Tires, brake and clutch fluid, chain, hoses, you fill in the blank. Needless to say it needs a through refresh. While Im at it I figure I can do some performance upgrades and make it a bit more my style which if you didnt infer from my Super Duke R, is naked roadster. Ive got a rapidly growing pile of new and gently used parts for the project and Ill outline the general scope of the build as a list so this doesn't get too run on in the first post.

1. New fluids. Motul RBF600 will satisfy brake and clutch fluids and engine ice for the coolant.

2. 2005 R1 fork swap with matching wheel and Yamaha brake calipers. Forks will be receiving a full service from Traxxion.

3. Custom triple clamps from SebSpeed.

4. Brembo RCS19 brake MC and RCS14 clutch MC

5. VFRD Two brothers replica exhaust headers with PCV and Attack performance PCV map (will be testing the PCV patch for suitability on the Y2K-01 5th gen)

6. SC Projects Conic 8th gen VFR exhaust silencer. 

7. Dunlop Sportmax Q3's

8. Penske 8983 Double clicker

9. 6th gen tank

10. 08 CBR1000RR tail and subframe

OK thats about the size of it for now. Im definitely forgetting things and there will be items added or subtracted as the build progresses and I get input from yall. Feel free to comment and lend a hand! See you guys and gals real soon with updates.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cause the maps developed for the header were done on the PC platform. Literally the only reason. I'm really familiar with dynojet product and equip but I've never worked with RB. I was a dynojet dyno operator for a time. Feel free to sell me on it. 

• Member Contributer

Number 9 looks really good on 5th gens.   Amazing only 1,900 miles.  Looks like quite a project.

13 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Number 9 looks really good on 5th gens.   Amazing only 1,900 miles.  Looks like quite a project.

Yeah the sharper lines on the 6g tank will compliment it well. The 1900 miles bit was the deal sealer. Guy literally did about 100 miles per yr. And left it in his garage the rest of the time. The FI system needed quite the cleaning when I brought her home. 

Side note: I will be selling all the fairings/ cowlings, headlight, gauges, stock exhaust, etc. I'll post in classifieds and feel free to PM me if interested. All items with exception of the left fairing are flawless and factory new. 

Cause the maps developed for the header were done on the PC platform. Literally the only reason. I'm really familiar with dynojet product and equip but I've never worked with RB. I was a dynojet dyno operator for a time. Feel free to sell me on it. 
RB let's you modify closed loop - PC don't.
Timing adjustment is also available.
Adjusting rev limiter is also cool.
I'm sure there are more pros, but this is as far as I got reading about it before deciding RB is the way to go for me. Now it's just a matter of actually buying it
Life always gets in the way and stops me from doing mine properly!

• Member Contributer

I’m interested in the gauges (mainly the tach). It’s a shame I was in Ocala, in February, and could’ve picked them up. 

Traxxion customer of 15yrs and 4 bikes. F3 frontend with their valves and springs, with a custom-length 8983 out back.

Went through the same process. My bike was basically untouched and everything needed going through. Ended up tearing mine down to the bare frame. 

Also, an SV650S owner. 

Where’s that popcorn emoji? Looking forward to reading the updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I am in awe of your skills and ambition.

On 4/27/2020 at 6:49 PM, Sweeper said:

Where’s that popcorn emoji? Looking forward to reading the updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Sweeper, here is the popcorn: :lurk:

I'll be munching and watching also.

Alright campers time for an update. Not a huge update but an update none the less. 

I got a huge package in the mail today along with a smaller one a few days ago...  what's in the box? (You read that in Brad Pitts voice from Seven didnt you?)

It's my headers courtesy of Sfdownhill and Duc2V4 and a Powercommander V courtesy of an anonymous vendor. I loaded the PCV with the Attack Performance tune and patch to make it work with my 01' while I was supposed to be working and after a good scrub of the lower engine with simple green the headers will go on! PROGRESS!

More this weekend...

20200501_160516.jpg

Hey there boys and girls, its time for another update.

So I was disconnecting the OEM o2 sensors and in the process I noticed some... fuzz under the throttle body. Yeah, some vermin had crated a nest under there. Packed it full of old carpet pieces and dryer sheets and such. So I grabbed my pick and started pulling it all outta there and guess what? That little bastard was still in there! Dead, but still there. My trusty assistant (daughter #3) was disturbingly eager to get it out of there and quickly returned from my tool box with an air blower, longer pick, flat head snap on screwdriver and ill intent in her eyes. I told her we gotta pull the tank, air box and TBs to get that guy out and she literally said "lets F'n do this"... shes 14... Im so proud. We pulled the tank and then the warden rang the dinner bell.

To be continued...

20200501_192954.jpg

• Member Contributer

I recognise that mess. Two fifth gens I've purchased with the same situation. Both had been stored in pole barns. Luckly, neither had the critters still there.

Good evening my fellow humanoids, its time for SUNDAY FUN DAY!

Well not really, but it was a day of wrenching on the VFR so it counts in my book. I launched into fork removal, brake delink and other odds and ends. The forks were of course pretty straight forward, remove clipons and controls, pull the wheel, dico brake calipers and drop the forks with the stem. These forks are crazy clean for an 01'. I dont want to contemplate what the fork oil looks or smells like but the outsides including the seals looks really, really good. Likewise with the controls, they are practically like new. On to the linked brakes...

Ok I understand the engineering logic for the LBS but good freaking god what a pain in the ass. I dont think Mr Honda would approve of the 800 banjo bolts, hoses, proportioning valves, hardline and other voodoo snake oil bullshit they shoehorned into this bike. ITS BRAKES HONDA, YOURE DRUNK ON SAKE. GO HOME! Long and profanity ridden story short, the calipers are off, the strange goo that used to be brake fluid has been drained into an appropriate rubbish bin and the bike is now much lighter and simpler to work on. Ive still got a bit too do on the back end but the front is linked brake free. Oh and I pulled the PAIR system cause it was giving me the stink eye.

And now for your viewing pleasure... my halfassed attempts at photo documentation.

20200503_153802.thumb.jpg.09594e65d623820a800bef7d2f49a245.jpg

20200503_173042.jpg

20200503_173025.jpg

20200503_165640.jpg

20200503_165636.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wow, what better thing to do in these bloody crazy days of isolation :wacko:. Good luck with the project, it's looking very nice.

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, Grum said:

Wow, what better thing to do in these bloody crazy days of isolation :wacko:. Good luck with the project, it's looking very nice.

+1

hey all,

Got injured in a work accident today.... Sheet metal-1 : Stu-0.  Spent some time in the VA hospital getting my fingers reattached. NEVER FEAR THOUGH! Ill still be working on the build, just with more help.

Soooo who wants to see the pics!? Alright you sickos here is the gore. If you have delicate sensibilities you may wanna skip.

20200506_101947.jpg

20200506_101942.jpg

on a lighter note I ordered my Penske double clicker and fork service from Traxxion today! After the accident...told ya Id keep going. Whos got front mount radiator experience? VFR750 or SV or other?

more later

• Member Contributer

Yikes......:ohmy:. M8 that's one HORRIBLE looking VFR - Virtual Finger Replacement.!

Hope you're not out of action for too long.

1 hour ago, Grum said:

Yikes......:ohmy:. M8 that's one HORRIBLE looking VFR - Virtual Finger Replacement.!

Hope you're not out of action for too long.

Pushing through the pain Grum. If I learned anything from my time in the Marines it was the mission takes priority. The bike is the mission. I'm confident that with copious amounts of painkillers and misguided dedication I'll be just fine jumping back to work... or not. Maybe the codeine is talking. Or the scotch... or both. Lol

5 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Reattached? Yikes! 

Perhaps "reattached" was an embellishment. The peice of razor sharp and oily sheet metal stopped at the bone. Reconstruct is more accurate, but it sure looked like I needed reattachment when it happened. Haha oh the shit I do to myself 

• Member Contributer

Holy Socks! Certainly a bad piece of luck. Hope you heal well and fast.

• Member Contributer

Wow - sorry to see that.   :sad:  That had to be terribly painful.  I hope you'll retain full function in them when it heals.   Best wishes for a fast recovery. 

Not sure if anyone else recalls ToeCutter's Toro build thread on VFR World a few years back.  When starting it the first time he was wiping the tank to soak up some coolant - the rag he was using got caught in the belt and pulled the end of his right index finger through the compressor sprocket amputating it.  Looked about like this.  But,  he also carried on and went on to enjoy his new ride.   :fing02:

Archived