4th Gen rear hub question

• Member Contributer

I did all my forward bearings last year, so this Spring with time on my hands I thought I'd go through all the rear ones. I went through the suspension/ dogbone and swing arm without issue. Then I checked the rear wheel for play and with a dial micrometer to make sure the rear rim was true. Everything seemed fine but thought I would have a look at the rear hub and throw in some fresh grease. Well even with the swingarm in a vise I could not remove the collar under the nut, part #8 in the diagram. After 2 days I gave up and figured I would just put the swingarm back on as there was no obvious issues with the bearings. When I tightened the nut back up the factory indent did not line up with the groove, it was about 1/4 turn shy and seemed to seat as I could not get anymore on it. Backing it off 3/4's left it loose, so I tightened it up again and measured the distance from the outside lip of the nut to the end of the bearing spindle at the groove. I averaged 2.30-2.35 mm for this over several tries. If someone has a Vernier and a few minutes could they measure theirs and post here. I just want to be reasonably sure I'm close after having a go at it. Thank you.

https://www.servicehonda.com/oemparts/a/hon/506ca831f870023420a3fe2b/rear-wheel

DSCF3410.thumb.JPG.49ff27c6cc20102fd2c3fda92fe61f7b.JPGDSCF3411.thumb.JPG.79fb8b54da5294a6a8e2b633ebac0499.JPG

• Member Contributer

I have a consistent 1.1 mm on a 1996. I was surprised about the number - will look again in the morning with better light

• Member Contributer

The sprocket carrier can be a bear to remove.  You need a puller--a mallet really won't do it.

Some bearing info here: https://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/BBearings.htm  That information was obtained from a 3rd gen, but it's the same rear bearing arrangement as the 4th gen.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, RC36B said:

I have a consistent 1.1 mm on a 1996. I was surprised about the number - will look again in the morning with better light

Thank you, I'll back the nut off tomorrow till the factory mark lines up with the groove and measure, just out of curiosity. I think the torque value is 141lbs, I'll see what it looks like at that setting.

• Member Contributer

Checked the rear rim for slop by hand, no wobble, then with a dial indicator (.002 difference 360 degrees at the bead). So All I really was going to do was clean and fresh grease.

Archived