New Member 1983 RC15 Renovate or Full Restoration?

AdiPet

Hi, new member first post. I bought this 1983 RC15 a few years ago as a project and put it in the back of the garage. I did get it running  on a temp fuel supply after cleaning the carbs etc. And it sounded nice with no unusual top end noises. I’ve now decided to do something with it. My original plan was to get it road legal and then consider whether a full restoration is worth it, I’d value opinions on that. 
Initial skirmish identified partially seized front caliper piston, rusty fuel tank inside, and a holed and leaking exhaust system.

I’ve stripped the front calipers and they’ll go again with new seals etc. The tank will get phosphoric acid treated and then sealed with Slosh hopefully. I have a spare but it’s not in the correct colour. If you want a laugh have a look at the video of the tank fixed to my cement mixer for cleaning agitation! 

The exhaust is much more concerning, I had to do more damage to the cans on removal to make sure I protected the collector as much as possible. My question is do you think the collector box is a factory part, an aftermarket or one that someone has made? This collector box has no mountings to the frame.If I’m careful I think I can rescue the collector.Also do you think the silencers are worth repairing? New identical ones are available from Italy but cost a fortune. Alternatively what silencers/ pipes/sizes have members used to replace the original equipment? 

All of the above begs the question is the bike worth a full restoration or should it just get a sympathetic rebuild with some non genuine items? 

I’ve really enjoyed all of the fantastic tips from knowledgeable members on here and I would welcome any views please.

Thanks from the U.K. ! 

50281161-EEDB-441F-ADAC-7398468076F9.jpeg

CA40CE7A-E3AA-4D87-B031-D89F312C6480.jpeg

EE11772B-0105-4010-B88D-37F7DAEF68A6.jpeg

C06C7341-C90C-474C-A4A1-E39210DE3292.jpeg

F2BE77B0-CDED-4464-9C62-42EF736A35BE.jpeg

12409E1C-7A52-48FC-9FE2-73D8C768857D.jpeg

• Member Contributer
44 minutes ago, AdiPet said:

Hi, new member first post. I bought this 1983 RC15 a few years ago as a project and put it in the back of the garage. I did get it running  on a temp fuel supply after cleaning the carbs etc. And it sounded nice with no unusual top end noises. I’ve now decided to do something with it. My original plan was to get it road legal and then consider whether a full restoration is worth it, I’d value opinions on that. 
Initial skirmish identified partially seized front caliper piston, rusty fuel tank inside, and a holed and leaking exhaust system.

I’ve stripped the front calipers and they’ll go again with new seals etc. The tank will get phosphoric acid treated and then sealed with Slosh hopefully. I have a spare but it’s not in the correct colour. If you want a laugh have a look at the video of the tank fixed to my cement mixer for cleaning agitation! 

The exhaust is much more concerning, I had to do more damage to the cans on removal to make sure I protected the collector as much as possible. My question is do you think the collector box is a factory part, an aftermarket or one that someone has made? This collector box has no mountings to the frame.If I’m careful I think I can rescue the collector.Also do you think the silencers are worth repairing? New identical ones are available from Italy but cost a fortune. Alternatively what silencers/ pipes/sizes have members used to replace the original equipment? 

All of the above begs the question is the bike worth a full restoration or should it just get a sympathetic rebuild with some non genuine items? 

I’ve really enjoyed all of the fantastic tips from knowledgeable members on here and I would welcome any views please.

Thanks from the U.K. ! 

Very ingenious way of agitating the tank.

• Member Contributer

Hello there!

That collector box is a B&Q jobbie methink....

Have you lifted the cam covers and inpected the cams and followers?  If they are OK then I'd just repair the exhaust as much as you can.  Sped as little as possible to make her presentable as a full on restauration will be a sinkhole...

But you have your priorities right in ther sense you adress brakes first!

suspension will be shot, so ride at the speed you normally would and see if you can live with the handling...

The bigger the whole, the more exhaust putty/gasket repair one needs...

My luck was that @timmythecop was kind enough to mail me a decent set from the USA....

Thanks for the thoughts. Interesting recreation of the now non existent collector box! Has anyone got a photo of the genuine original collector. 

I’m a little surprised and disappointed that a bike approaching the no need for an MOT 40 years old era isn’t worth saving? Why do you think that is? 

• Member Contributer

Oh, if I gave the "not worth saving" impression, sorry.

Ofcourse she is, but not at all cost.

Thanks, will take it bit by bit. I think I’ll try and get it mechanically sound and safe first and only then consider a fully cosmetic strip and paint. 

Do you think there is any demand for a sensibly made reproduction collector box? 

I’m really struggling to identify any cost effective non genuine silencer cans, any thoughts?  I’d only consider the Italian reproduction ones if I go the whole hog resto at a later date. 

• Member Contributer

I fear your options are severely limitted by the grace of your MoT tester no?  Looking for BSA or EU markings and doing a DB level test?

With a bit of piping skills, any exhasut could be made to fit.

What are the outer diameters of your headers (into the collectorbox)?

Found this image

Knipsel.JPG.ca67f08d9ea0fbeb16ae1fe9104bc98c.JPG

Thanks that image is very helpful, my b&q jobbie certainly doesn’t have the internal plumbing like that! I’m going to see if I can mock one up from the design of the b&q one. I think at this stage it’s not about performance particularly but a structurally sound and functional. It’s a needs must in the absence of any collector to buy. Out header diameter is 32mm. However the collector front pipes are smaller than the rear ones as these have the graphite gaskets. I’ve ordered the gaskets so I can measure and buy some tubing. 
I’m keeping an eye on ebay for a pair of suitable cans. 

• Member Contributer

I checked with "those in the know", but unfortunately a collector for a VF400 or VF500 will not fit the 750. I have one each in the attic.. 

Smaller holes you can try and repair with 2component metal putty. Prepping is key.

I repaired a VF400 collectorbox this way. I sawed small aluminium plates to fit over filled holes and added a 2nd layer of metal putty...

Rattlecan black to finish.

No lifetime guarantee.   🙂

The big advantage you have with the VF750 if you are in the UK is they imported a lot of them expecting to make a killing and then didn't because a) it was expensive (justifiably as it was not built down to a price,  and b) the saga of the chocolate camshafts that really hammered the image. But they did sell them eventually. They are not collectable now so it will have to be a labour of love. Nice ones still come up from time to time for silly money but as far as I can tell they don't sell. Plastics, petrol tanks and exhausts will be the hardest parts to find. When I was looking for OE collectors for the VF500 bikes I had, Ebay US was the best. Southern states don't use much, if any salt, so you could get really good collectors from there. Postage was a pain but the boxes themselves were cheap enough. Hopefully the same for the 750. Original end cans will be really hard to find. Marvin might make copies. They are OK and look nice when new but are not great quality. 

I like the 750 and would have had one if I hadn't realised the later model updated 86 500 was better. The 750 never got any updates unless you count the VFR..

I agree that a full resto is a complete waste of time and money IF you actually want to ride the bike. Just get it rideable and have fun, I always say ask how many miles will you do on it? I had a VF500 which I babied and bought millions of parts for even spare engines. I had it for 9 years and I did the grand total of about 4000 miles on it. I then sold the lot for a huge loss. Doh!

Good luck, the journey will be great. 

• Member Contributer
On 4/24/2020 at 9:27 PM, AdiPet said:

Thanks from the U.K. ! 

Found this rc15 for sale on Bonhams. Might help with the restore or full restoration decision.7D88A393-777C-411D-B40C-8D928E0F90D9.thumb.png.c24850c45bb3fa36dd65ce44b3e62493.png

• Member Contributer

And by Jove, your collector box is NOT a B&Q jobbie!!!

image.png.d4db3b0d8c29515913108ee4e3e1fdc7.png

It is an aftermarket from back in the day.....  BSM/Janton, which merged into JAMA..... :beer:

• Member Contributer

Yeah that collector is garbage  will kill flow for all 4 headers. I’d look at a gen1 VFR750 set of headers & see if they’d fit. There were aftermarket stainless ones made, might turn up a set with a search. 

• Member Contributer

FWIW, In the US, the 83 was a VF750F, In 84-85 it was a VF700F, a sleeved down version of the Interceptor meant to beat the Harley tariff on bikes over 700 cc.

The part number for the collectors and the mufflers are exactly the same, but a search for a VF750F collector/ muffler in the US is unlikely to show the 84/85 listings. I'll post one listing as an example, this is a pretty nice one, but he only ships to the US. He did note it will fit a 750/700, but others are listed for 700 only. If you had to have it, PM me and I'll see what I can do. There are other, less pristine but intact examples that will ship internationally

.https://www.ebay.com/itm/84-Honda-VF700-F-VF-700-Interceptor-front-muffler-pipe-exhaust-headers-collector/272771752157?hash=item3f8276a0dd:g:ZV8AAOSwQYVZclrb

A few years back I bought an 83 sight unseen while in the middle of the Atlantic working. It was in about the same condition as yours when I finally got to see it. It had a full Kerker system with a few holes in it, faded paint, neglected Master cylinders and calipers, rusty bits everywhere, but it was complete, fairings and all.

First I checked the cams, many early Honda V4's had cam wear issues, but not all. Some that did eventually had them replaced by Honda, but not all. Have a good look at yours before proceeding to far. Mine were fine, the bike had 16K miles IIRC. Satisfied that I could make it mechanically sound I just did the normal new to me bike maintenence, clean the carbs, brake system through the UltraSoinic, fork rebuild, drop the shock, clean and grease the rear suspension, bit of paint here and there, recover the seat etc. The only real problem I encountered was one of the PO's had rejetted the bike, badly. Even though it had a full Kerker system and a K&N air filter it ran like crap with larger jets. Installing the oem size cured any running issues immediatlely. When finished I rode the bike 2600 miles to North Carolina and back, with an additional 700 miles on 129, 151, 215, Wayah Road, 276 etc. It was a hoot to ride. When I got back it was time to bin the tires, they were radials, but a mismatched set of IRC in the back and a Conti on the front, neither which were not made anymore. The 18" rear and 16" front made for challenge as far as sourcing decent rubber. A bit of research showed that a VF1000F 17": X 3.5" rear rim was a direct swap with the VF750F rear with the exception of using the 750 rotor on the 1000 rim. This opened up the tire selection quite a bit and I fitted a set of Bridgestone S-20's on the bike, this was the best thing I did to improve the bike. I've often wondered if a VF1000F2 rim would work, basically the same bike as the VF1000F US bike but with a full fairing, different seat and other minor tweaks. We never got them here, so not much info or hands on experience available, but maybe someone over your side would know. In the end I think you could have a fun bike for not a lot of expenditure, so fix it up and ride the clappers out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 1:04 PM, Dutchy said:

And by Jove, your collector box is NOT a B&Q jobbie!!!

image.png.d4db3b0d8c29515913108ee4e3e1fdc7.png

It is an aftermarket from back in the day.....  BSM/Janton, which merged into JAMA..... :beer:

Wow, that’s really interesting. Looked quite well made originally. I’m in the process of trying to fabricate a replica as finding an original at reasonable cost and condition is nearly impossible 

On 4/27/2020 at 2:42 AM, FromMaine said:

FWIW, In the US, the 83 was a VF750F, In 84-85 it was a VF700F, a sleeved down version of the Interceptor meant to beat the Harley tariff on bikes over 700 cc.

The part number for the collectors and the mufflers are exactly the same, but a search for a VF750F collector/ muffler in the US is unlikely to show the 84/85 listings. I'll post one listing as an example, this is a pretty nice one, but he only ships to the US. He did note it will fit a 750/700, but others are listed for 700 only. If you had to have it, PM me and I'll see what I can do. There are other, less pristine but intact examples that will ship internationally

.https://www.ebay.com/itm/84-Honda-VF700-F-VF-700-Interceptor-front-muffler-pipe-exhaust-headers-collector/272771752157?hash=item3f8276a0dd:g:ZV8AAOSwQYVZclrb

A few years back I bought an 83 sight unseen while in the middle of the Atlantic working. It was in about the same condition as yours when I finally got to see it. It had a full Kerker system with a few holes in it, faded paint, neglected Master cylinders and calipers, rusty bits everywhere, but it was complete, fairings and all.

First I checked the cams, many early Honda V4's had cam wear issues, but not all. Some that did eventually had them replaced by Honda, but not all. Have a good look at yours before proceeding to far. Mine were fine, the bike had 16K miles IIRC. Satisfied that I could make it mechanically sound I just did the normal new to me bike maintenence, clean the carbs, brake system through the UltraSoinic, fork rebuild, drop the shock, clean and grease the rear suspension, bit of paint here and there, recover the seat etc. The only real problem I encountered was one of the PO's had rejetted the bike, badly. Even though it had a full Kerker system and a K&N air filter it ran like crap with larger jets. Installing the oem size cured any running issues immediatlely. When finished I rode the bike 2600 miles to North Carolina and back, with an additional 700 miles on 129, 151, 215, Wayah Road, 276 etc. It was a hoot to ride. When I got back it was time to bin the tires, they were radials, but a mismatched set of IRC in the back and a Conti on the front, neither which were not made anymore. The 18" rear and 16" front made for challenge as far as sourcing decent rubber. A bit of research showed that a VF1000F 17": X 3.5" rear rim was a direct swap with the VF750F rear with the exception of using the 750 rotor on the 1000 rim. This opened up the tire selection quite a bit and I fitted a set of Bridgestone S-20's on the bike, this was the best thing I did to improve the bike. I've often wondered if a VF1000F2 rim would work, basically the same bike as the VF1000F US bike but with a full fairing, different seat and other minor tweaks. We never got them here, so not much info or hands on experience available, but maybe someone over your side would know. In the end I think you could have a fun bike for not a lot of expenditure, so fix it up and ride the clappers out of it.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum from The Land Of Interesting Weather. You obviously have great taste in mc's. You've come to the right place for Honda V4 information.

Good luck with your restoration.

5 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

Well that's one less thing to worry about for sure.

That top end looks as dry as a bone though. 

Not been run for two years so not too surprising thankfully. Will spin it up without plugs when I’m ready to build oil pressure up first. 

I would put a smear of moly grease on the lobes too or chuck some oil at the top end before you run it. The oil pressure can be slow to build in my experience.

Archived