New bike., Tips, tricks, warnings anything really please!

vfr80001

Just bought a 2001 vfr800 with 70,000km. The bike looks and seems to be in healthy condition, but don't know much about its service history. Supposedly has had its top end rebuild (trying to track down records), and recently has fork seals, front brakes, and steering bearing done (have records) If anyone has any tips or tricks, warnings, common issues, things i should replace immediately, anything really! Any information would be helpful

• Member Contributer

Well,  you can start by posting up in the Welcome section with a picture! :goofy:  So we know you exist....

A top end rebuild on a VFR is very rare; so yes, do find out what and why.

I'd first ride her for a month and see if there is anything you dislike...  Other then that, do check the alternator, battery and voltage regulaor.  Search for "The Drill"here on VFRD and whip out that multimeter.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, vfr80001 said:

Just bought a 2001 vfr800 with 70,000km. The bike looks and seems to be in healthy condition, but don't know much about its service history. Supposedly has had its top end rebuild (trying to track down records), and recently has fork seals, front brakes, and steering bearing done (have records) If anyone has any tips or tricks, warnings, common issues, things i should replace immediately, anything really! Any information would be helpful

Welcome. x2 on the pics and intro request.

Prior to riding too much I'd suggest searching for 'the drill' on this site or vfrworld.com and perform the prescribed tests on your charging system components -and- verify what model R/R you have. It sounds like that bike has had some good maintenance, but is definitely worth inspecting the clutch fluid and reservoir, coolant condition/level/reservoir. Also keep an eye on your coolant temps - the thermostat should open at approx. 175F/80C.  From a cold start, the bike should come up to that temp, then cool slightly (5-10F). If you bike doesn't come up to that temp from cold in temperate weather, it likely means that your thermostat is failed open (mine was when I bought it). If I recall you can also feel the right side radiator, it should remain cold until the t-stat opens. If it gets warm from startup you t-stat has failed (open).

Here's some Friday optimism: Hopefully the person you bought it from wasn't mechanically inclined and has confused a valve adjustment with a 'top-end rebuild'.  I'd look for the receipt in the records you received and see if you can confirm what was actually done.

Archived