8th Gen forks and brakes on a 6th Gen

richieg

Question

Looking at ditching the combined brakes on my 2003 and I like the look and simplicity of the 8th setup. Anyone know if 8th Gen forks or even just the fork lowers will work on a 6th gen?

Would like to retain the 6th front wheel and brake rotors for the time being (to keep cost and barriers to this going ahead) so hoping it will still fit with 8th gen forks and front brakes. Anyone know for sure? What about mudguard???

Also, the 8th Gen forks look like this hey have more adjustability... Are they much of an upgrade of 6th gen?

I'm hoping the 6th master cylinder will work with the 8rh radial brakes. Anyone know for sure?

Rear brake wise, I'm thinking of either only using outer pistons or using a different size master cylinder. Is there much of a difference performance wise?

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

14 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, richieg said:

So far I've just got hold of a set of 8th gen front calipers. I can see why you went with the brembos as the tokico calipers look pretty basic and I've read about lots of issues with their aluminium pistons not servivng British winters.

I've ridden my Crossrunners through 4 British winters without any such issues. 

Not sure who's writing the stories but perhaps they need to hose down their bikes a bit more often. 

On 4/23/2020 at 11:08 AM, richieg said:

Looking at ditching the combined brakes on my 2003 and I like the look and simplicity of the 8th setup. Anyone know if 8th Gen forks or even just the fork lowers will work on a 6th gen?

Would like to retain the 6th front wheel and brake rotors for the time being (to keep cost and barriers to this going ahead) so hoping it will still fit with 8th gen forks and front brakes. Anyone know for sure? What about mudguard???

Also, the 8th Gen forks look like this hey have more adjustability... Are they much of an upgrade of 6th gen?

I'm hoping the 6th master cylinder will work with the 8rh radial brakes. Anyone know for sure?

Rear brake wise, I'm thinking of either only using outer pistons or using a different size master cylinder. Is there much of a difference performance wise?

Thanks!

You can mount 8gen fork lowers directly to your 2003 fork tubes, Honda kept the upper tube length, diameter, and spacing of the triples identical between 6th and 8th gen. The problem you're going to run into trying to retain the wheel and discs is that the 6th gen has 296mm discs that mount with 6 bolts, and the 8th gen has 310mm discs that mount with 5 bolts. So using the 6th gen wheel and discs, the brake pad won't actually make full contact with the disc. And trying to use larger diameter 8 gen discs won't bolt to a 6 gen wheel to try and retain the wheel. Best option is finding a used front end from a salvaged 8 gen on eBay. 

And if you're referring to the front fender when you say mudguard, Honda reused the front fender from a 2016 cbr1000rr on the 8th gen vfr, so you can find any number of those from oem to after market carbon fiber on fleabay. 

Adjustability on 8th gen forks are no different from the 6th gen IF you find the 8 gen standard forks. If you find the 8 gen deluxe forks then you do get extra adjustability. For compression I believe. 

You should be able to reuse your 6th gen master cylinder but I'm not 100% on that because I'm using nissin radial master cylinders. 

For the rear brake, I swapped an entire 8 gen swing arm onto mine, which are already delinked as you know, so I just had a single custom brake line made that I ran to an 8th gen rear master cylinder.

Best of luck. 

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Grum said:

Are my eyes playing tricks on me (I am over 60 and wear glasses!! :blink:) or is there something strange about the lower caliper bolt, it's doesn't appear to be fully seated. Or is it the wrong length and is there a spacer under the head of the bolt?

The bolt head looks different to the upper bolt, just doesn't look right to me!:wacko:

Otherwise it's a great looking upgrade.

I think, the owner was doing a trial fitment with this setup, because he had another set of calipers on there, and if I remember correctly this pic was from that trial. He had 1000RR calipers on there, before these. 

• Member Contributer

This is his bike, as I couldn’t find him here. One of the baddest VFR’s on the planet, IMO. 5th Gen engine, 6th Gen chassis, 8th Gen running gear, and very well executed with great detailing and aftermarket bits. 

218BE761-C212-4E98-AECE-3F9FE32E0E24.jpeg

Hi Minicarver

Thanks a lot for the invaluablefor info - shame about the wheels being incompatible but as it happens I do prefer the Lok of 8th gen wheels. I would probably want a matching set I think I read somewhere that you can just change part of the rear hub rather than the entire swingarm.

The parts required keep growing!

Yes mudguard is English English for fender... Lol.

So far I've just got hold of a set of 8th gen front calipers. I can see why you went with the brembos as the tokico calipers look pretty basic and I've read about lots of issues with their aluminium pistons not servivng British winters.

• Member Contributer
On 24 April 2020 at 11:51 PM, ducnut said:

69124B57-E63E-441B-8548-1C7510EF79D4.jpeg

Are my eyes playing tricks on me (I am over 60 and wear glasses!! :blink:) or is there something strange about the lower caliper bolt, it's doesn't appear to be fully seated. Or is it the wrong length and is there a spacer under the head of the bolt?

The bolt head looks different to the upper bolt, just doesn't look right to me!:wacko:

Otherwise it's a great looking upgrade.

You should be able to reuse your 6th gen master cylinder but I'm not 100% on that because I'm using nissin radial master cylinders. 

My 6th Gen has 14 stamped on the master cylinder and the 8th Gen also has 14 stamped on it but the part number is different. Not sure if there are any other differences but I'm also interested in fitting a radial master cylinder.

The Brembo stuff looks nice but £££...

Which Nissin radial master cylinder did you use? Was it a used part of another bike?

• Member Contributer

Christian Wade Black has done it on his 5th/6th/8th Gen mashup. He’s around here and on VFR 800 Owners Group on FB. 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, ducnut said:

This is his bike, as I couldn’t find him here. One of the baddest VFR’s on the planet, IMO. 5th Gen engine, 6th Gen chassis, 8th Gen running gear, and very well executed with great detailing and aftermarket bits. 

218BE761-C212-4E98-AECE-3F9FE32E0E24.jpeg

Its rare a 6th gen gets my attention, but the above knocks my socks off.... I offered to buy it at one time.... 

• Member Contributer

Those are not 8th Gen front brakes.

Just sayin'

39 minutes ago, richieg said:

Hi Minicarver

Thanks a lot for the invaluablefor info - shame about the wheels being incompatible but as it happens I do prefer the Lok of 8th gen wheels. I would probably want a matching set I think I read somewhere that you can just change part of the rear hub rather than the entire swingarm.

The parts required keep growing!

Yes mudguard is English English for fender... Lol.

You can just swap rear axles and the 10 spoke 5 lug 8 gen wheel will bolt right up to your 6 gen swingarm. I liked the look of the new swingarm too much to go that route. 

Unfortunately the brembos didn't work out. There was something with the spacing of the brake pad internally in the caliper that made them offset the rotors and I got a large amount of chatter under braking so I went to stock tokico calipers. But if you cross reference the part numbers, Honda uses the exact same calipers on their cbr1000rr and 600rr bikes, delinked with radial calipers and 310mm discs they work really really well. I've got close to 10k miles on them so far after a cross country trip this past winter. 

I hadn't heard about the British winter issues, Being in the southeast of the states I don't have to worry about British winters, but there might be an aftermarket caliper piston set that will make them stand up to Winter conditions better? 🤔

Archived