replacement master cyl? Chinese or CBR900RR or...?

Hey y'all-- 

I've got the front brake master cylinder apart on my 90 VFR and there's a spot of pitting on the bore.  I'd like to replace it, but they're not available from Honda.  There are a lot of Chinese ones on eBay, has anyone here used one?  I really don't like the idea.  I can get a new one from Honda for a CBR900RR, which seems to be the right bore size.  Has anyone used that on stock VFR calipers?  Or do you have any other suggestions?

thanks

kevin

same mc as yours on dozens of different honda models from the 80's and 90's and 00's.  so it's still possible to avoid any cheepo chinese crap on your bike.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, what squirrel sez.  Just match up the bore size and style you want.  I do this often, if you look at pics carefully and check for mileage (good breakers list that) you can score on used masters.  Shit, the last two I bought I didn't even need to rebuild, they were pristine...  and cheap!  You can also check "sellers other items" to see what condition the bike was that it came off of.

My bike is a beautiful original with 15K mi, but it has corrosion in the bore.  It worked fine, but now that I've seen it, it's going to bother me.  If I was going to buy a used cylinder, I'd want one off a bike with 200K miles so I know it never sat...  I guess I can grab something used and see how it looks inside. 

Or K&L sells new cylinders in the 900RR style, for around $160.  IDK where they're made, but I trust the name a lot more than ebay junk.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, CharlieFoxtrot said:

My bike is a beautiful original with 15K mi, but it has corrosion in the bore.  It worked fine, but now that I've seen it, it's going to bother me.  If I was going to buy a used cylinder, I'd want one off a bike with 200K miles so I know it never sat...  I guess I can grab something used and see how it looks inside. 

Or K&L sells new cylinders in the 900RR style, for around $160.  IDK where they're made, but I trust the name a lot more than ebay junk.

Typically on the side of the casting there is the ID of the bore size.  What does it say? Guessing 14mm or 1/2 inch. I'm sure the peanut gallery here would have extra that could sell you a newer model one cheap that would work. 

Honda has kept the same basic design for decades... 

• Member Contributer

Yes, 12.7mm.  Going to a 14mm wouldn't be the end of the world, but it wouldn't be the right size.  You'd be making it harder to apply the brakes with the same force--sometimes called a "wooden" feeling.  Going smaller is much worse, because the lever can hit the bar before you're finished braking...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

4th gens are 1/2" and I don't remember the 5th gens, I think 6ths are 14mm......

I'm also thinking about a 4-piston caliper upgrade with appropriate new master cylinder for next winter.  Floating rotors with a wheel that looks stock will probably be the most expensive part of that.  

I rode an RC36 with Brembos a bit back in the 90s and it was eye-opening compared to the 92 I had just sold at the time.  (A couple of weeks after I sold the 92, it got smashed while parked and I was helping the new owner find a replacement VFR)

That guy's bike also had no exhaust but an automotive chrome exhaust tip mounted to the collector box.  Loud as hell but sounded awesome!  However, it made less power on a dyno than my completely stock 87 VFR700 did during a dealer's dyno day.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, mello dude said:

4th gens are 1/2" and I don't remember the 5th gens, I think 6ths are 14mm......

5th Gen is also 1/2"

• Member Contributer

There you have it Charlie, if you need the bike fixed today, you can get a newer '94 thru '01 and be riding....

i have a master and clutch if you interested from my 2002 i went radial.  it has 10k miles i also have aftermarket levers in black with red accents.

Archived