Help Me Spend $300 on my VFR

Calculon

• Member Contributer

I received a very generous cash gift from my in-laws a while back.  They gave me $300 in the form of an Amazon gift card.  I was thinking of getting something for my 07 Interceptor but after browsing through the site nothing really piqued my interest.  My bike is mostly stock with the exception of a gps mount and a pigtail to charge the battery.  Any thoughts... add a url if you find anything please.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, jstehman said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OJXGUQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_p8hOEbXC6QE2Q

Slightly more than $300

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Now that is perfect.  I just bought one of those this winter for my Versys and really like it.  It's a bit over budget plus you can buy them direct for the VFR right now for about $350 so I'm probably going to have to pass.

• Member Contributer

I noticed the red bead on my fifth gen was worn through. I called Sargent and they have the seats on sale. 20% off. $352.

I put these on all of my fifth gens. They are quite comfortable. The one I'm replacing has had somewhere north of 150,000 miles on it. I've transferred it to whatever machine I'm riding at the time. The transfer takes about 30 seconds.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, jstehman said:

Another good idea.  I don't need any short cuff gloves, I have three pairs at the moment but I do need a nice set of gauntlet gloves.  Looking for something that isn't super thick.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

I called Sargent and they have the seats on sale. 20% off. $352.

I know and this would be perfect but they don't sell through Amazon.

Another good idea.  I don't need any short cuff gloves, I have three pairs at the moment but I do need a nice set of gauntlet gloves.  Looking for something that isn't super thick.
I have the sp2 Astar gauntlets. Love em, but they get pretty warm in the summer

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Sell your Amazon gift card for cash:

https://www.cardcash.com

...cry one small tear for the 10% brokerage fee

...then buy a sweet SEBSPEED custom clutch cover:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/68201-clear-clutch-window

Thank you, in-laws!

You've got 2 bikes, i'd suggest something you can use on both. Heated gloves are a game changer for me when it gets cold, and well under budget. Nice tank bag maybe?

Or just pony up for some maint items, like fluids, tools, etc.

Garage upgrades are HUGE, putting in a ton of LED 4' long shop lights is the number one mod i've done recently. I spent ~$120 on a bunch straight out of china, and I can work all hours on projects without eye fatigue or silly mistakes because i can't quite see what i'm doing. I have a 2 car garage with split doors, ran 8 of these. 2 along the side wall, 2 in the middle, 2 along the other side wall, and 2 in the side without garage doors.

https://www.amazon.com/Hykolity-Linkable-Workshop-Workbench-Equivalent/dp/B07TM97LWY/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1AOLTJWLMKIXJ&dchild=1&keywords=4'+led+shop+lights&qid=1587653922&sprefix=4'+led+shop%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-9

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Calculon said:

I have a pair of Knox Nexus gloves, great gloves. Don’t feel thick at all once worn in which doesn’t take long at all.6A39433E-4020-43FA-8D16-AF203A0ED8C5.thumb.jpeg.57cca09eb7c9f511dea2ae8741e7e424.jpeg

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, Philois1984 said:

I have a pair of Knox Nexus gloves, great gloves. Don’t feel thick at all once worn in which doesn’t take long at all.6A39433E-4020-43FA-8D16-AF203A0ED8C5.thumb.jpeg.57cca09eb7c9f511dea2ae8741e7e424.jpeg

I have these but the index finger tips wore out. Not sure if they changed the design but are yours full leather with a touch screen capable material on top or is it the thin touch screen material as the finger tip? I'm a Knox glove wearer and they have been my go to glove for some time now but my Nexos didn't hold up like my previous pair,  Biomech. If I knew those would no longer be produced, I would have bought a dozen pairs! They were/are my favorite glove I've owned. I thought the Nexos would be a good replacement but alas I am a little disappointed in how they designed the index finger tip. 😞

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

I have these but the index finger tips wore out. Not sure if they changed the design but are yours full leather with a touch screen capable material on top or is it the thin touch screen material as the finger tip? I'm a Knox glove wearer and they have been my go to glove for some time now but my Nexos didn't hold up like my previous pair,  Biomech. If I knew those would no longer be produced, I would have bought a dozen pairs! They were/are my favorite glove I've owned. I thought the Nexos would be a good replacement but alas I am a little disappointed in how they designed the index finger tip. 😞

To be perfectly honest I didn’t know the answer to your question as I never mount my phone on the motorcycle. I just went and looked and the gloves do have a different material on the index finger. I just tried using them with the iPad and they didn’t work. Not a problem for me but I’m sure it would be for some. So far there seems to be no sign of any wearing. I had a pair of Kjus ski gloves that cost over $200 and didn’t last long. Just replaced them with Hestra’s so will see how they go. Good quality kit is always so bloody expensive. Photo attached of the Knox index finger.BBD3AFFA-84E5-4771-A945-26C7056F3DD4.thumb.jpeg.22578668c463b502c71df60323ddc7c4.jpeg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

To be perfectly honest I didn’t know the answer to your question as I never mount my phone on the motorcycle. I just went and looked and the gloves do have a different material on the index finger. I just tried using them with the iPad and they didn’t work. Not a problem for me but I’m sure it would be for some. So far there seems to be no sign of any wearing. I had a pair of Kjus ski gloves that cost over $200 and didn’t last long. Just replaced them with Hestra’s so will see how they go. Good quality kit is always so bloody expensive. Photo attached of the Knox index finger.

My Knox Zero3 have full leather on all fingers and the touch material over the top of the tips, probably for waterproof integrity. I wish my Nexos were made the same way. I like them but can't wear them with holes in the finger tips. I'm going to attempt to repair them, we'll see how that works out. The other aspects of these gloves have proven to be great. Palm sliders, Boa lacing system, knuckle and wrist protection, all worth the price of admission. Thanks for the reply.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the ideas.  Got it narrowed down to three items.

A centerstand for my Versys 650, or an aftermarket windscreen for my Versys.

But before I decide on either of those two I'm now leaning towards the Sargent seat on the VFR.  Negotiating with the wife for her to take the Amazon card and I just buy from Sargent directly.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just thought I'd put closure to this thread.  I'm getting the Sargent Seat for the Interceptor.  Just making a deal with someone over at VFRWorld for their slightly used seat, going to actually save about $150.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Calculon said:

Just thought I'd put closure to this thread.  I'm getting the Sargent Seat for the Interceptor.  Just making a deal with someone over at VFRWorld for their slightly used seat, going to actually save about $150.

That is how I acquired my first two Sargent Seats. But mine came from VFRDers. Sort of makes my first new Sargent a little extra special. I'm still using my second one (a two-part seat); my first, a one piece which I prefer - no longer avaliable, was loaned out and never returned. (Sigh)

Great choice!  A Sargent was one of the first mods I did to my 6th gen, which was used but bone stock when I bought it.  That seat was part of a group buy when I bought it, so even then I got a bit of a discount.  I've thought about sending it back for new foam and recovering, but it's still pretty comfortable and in great shape all these years later.  It's probably the only aftermarket brand I'd consider on future bikes.

• Member Contributer
On 5/4/2020 at 8:32 PM, TimC said:

Great choice!  A Sargent was one of the first mods I did to my 6th gen, which was used but bone stock when I bought it.  That seat was part of a group buy when I bought it, so even then I got a bit of a discount.  I've thought about sending it back for new foam and recovering, but it's still pretty comfortable and in great shape all these years later.  It's probably the only aftermarket brand I'd consider on future bikes.

That just proves you got a smart ass.

Archived