Hello from the Cotswolds, UK

RedNineOne

Hi all from here in the UK where I'm the happy owner of a Red 1991 Gen 3 with 50k miles on it. It used to be a mates bike, but I took it to the TT last year and fell in love with it - that engine has so much character - so bought it off him when another bike caught his eye. History was fairly non-existent before 40k when my mate picked it up, so it's a slight early-life gamble, but one I was willing to take given he'd had 10000 happy miles from it. Been lurking here for a while reading up on stuff and getting some great advice.

Given the sketchy history (and a lumpy idle), the bike is currently in a state of disassembly as I work though it in my garage; Forks have been completely stripped and rebuilt, same for the Carbs which I'm putting back together as we speak. I've also done the valve clearances in the last couple of weeks too. You'll gather I'm not shy of spannering and am really rather enjoying it; fortunate as there's several more jobs I'm looking to do too; Caliper rebuilds, Rear Disc replacement, RegRec, Dash Lights.... big list! Anyway I'm really looking forward to getting the thing going again once the worlds current challenges ease a little. Thanks all, stay safe 🙂

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the forum! That's the nice things with these older bikes - not too much black box going on. Good old fashion skills go along way 🙂 

Please let's so some pictures... :lurk:

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the North Sea :beer:

Great introduction, but w/o a picture we donot know for sure you exist! :laugh:

Here it is from when I was at the TT last year. Not currently quite as pretty with most of the body work off and carbs out in the garage, but I'll post a few more piccies as I build up a bit of a major-service story on it. I'd ultimately like to do a bit of basic restoration on it - few rusty bits that need repainting, and the usual suspects like engine covers / rad with peeling black paint, but I want to get it mechanically sorted first. Ironically I was planning to use it as a winter commuter (and probably still will to some degree), but it's sooo much better than just a commute bike; I really enjoy riding the thing 🙂

IMG_2367_-_metafree.JPG

• Member Contributer

Wow that  looks nice.  I've always wanted a 3rd gen.  Please post more pics as it progresses. 

• Member Contributer

I need a 3rd gen too...

I really want one again - they are still nice looking in a more classic way than the 4th. Of course it does not look like bikes today but for something 29 years old...

The build quality and materials are not found in any bike today... of course part of that is a really heavy bike - is't about 5-10 kg heavier than the CBR 1000RR, which actually is a heavy bike too...

I look forward to a bunch of workshop photos

Take care and thanks for sharing

• Member Contributer
On 4/18/2020 at 3:40 AM, RedOne said:

(and a lumpy idle),

I've been reliably(?) informed that a lumpy idle is normal... exactly how lumpy I couldn't say, but more lumpy at least than your average honda accord.  So if it isn't perfect after your carburetor work don't be discouraged, it might be as perfect as designed.

Besides all the help you'll find on this site, v4dreams has some good suggestions on maintenance. https://v4dreams.com/index.html

We'd be happy to follow along with your work if you want to start a thread in third and fourth generation forum. Have fun. Pretty bike.

• Member Contributer

Hello, nice looking bike, where about in the Cotswolds are you, I used to live in Witney a lovely part of the world

On 4/19/2020 at 2:15 PM, Gebruiker said:

I've been reliably(?) informed that a lumpy idle is normal... exactly how lumpy I couldn't say...

It was lumpy enough that it almost sounded mechanically unkind with cylinders fighting themselves. I don't believe it's anything major, but I did decide time to investigate 🙂 

On 4/19/2020 at 4:37 PM, scottbott said:

Hello, nice looking bike, where about in the Cotswolds are you, I used to live in Witney a lovely part of the world

I'm NW Cotswolds with Tewkesbury / Chelt as the closest big places really. Yes, some nice riding around here,.

I'm optimistic it'll be running again this week - carbs went back on last night - so I'll pop a story up in the forums when I get a chance. Cheers all.  

• Member Contributer

What is a lumpy idle?

My 4th gen and VF500F2 idle just fine....

• Member Contributer
On 4/21/2020 at 11:47 AM, Dutchy said:

What is a lumpy idle?

Sorry, I've been trying to upload a short audio clip of my own idle. Lumpy. The upload isn't working. No matter. It's just not a super smooth idle, like on a four cylinder car. I'm pretty sure it'll never be that smooth.

• Member Contributer

The lumpy idle is part of what makes the 750 sound like a small block Chevy.

Ciao,

JZH

Archived