Cracked Carb slide diaphragm

• Member Contributer

As I replaced all the o-rings in the carbs to Viton, I noticed that at least one of my carb slide diaphragm is cracked all the way through the membrane.

The part is apparently no longer available.

So now what? Can it be repaired? E-bay for used part taking the change it may or may not be useable?

I saw that Yoshi tried to get a group buy on a repair kit but that fizzled out...

What say you?

• Member Contributer

Your best option is sourced from a junkyard. 
This would still be old diaphragms tho Honda used them for bikes up to about 2007.

I'm not sure the need is sufficient to make new ones as demonstrated by the past fizzles. 
I think we need to preserve old ones before we are screwed. 

• Member Contributer

Yeah that sucks. I went back and checked the other three while I got everything on the bench. One is in pretty good shape, two have many small cracks that don’t go all the way through and one has that cracked that I can see daylight through.

Can it be repaired? I was thinking like a window exterior silicone that will stay pliable.
Or hell- how about a little dab of HondaBond?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there are at least 2 companies (JBM is one) that make replacement diaphragms that you fit onto your slides.  repairs don't work without new diaphragms.

btw: i have a set of newly-cleaned gen3 carbs with new fuel tube O-rings and float bowl gaskets for sale, ❤️

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the input.

I have found two used units on eBay from the UK, which I have ordered.

I also dropped an email with NRP in the UK to see if they can get me a set to repair.

Thanks squirrel but I have a 4th gen that I am determined to get over 100k miles (around 90k now). Once I get the carbs sorted, I need to replace the steering head bearings (have parts, but not looking forward to the job)

90k ???  i haven't seen a set of VFR steering head bearings still in good condition at anything over 35k.  yours are well-knackered and way past retirement age. 

• Member Contributer
90k ???  i haven't seen a set of VFR steering head bearings still in good condition at anything over 35k.  yours are well-knackered and way past retirement age. 

Well, there may or may not be a big fat sticky/dead/flat spot right in the center for the last 10k miles that I have been riding around...

• Member Contributer
On 4/15/2020 at 2:50 AM, MadFrog said:

Thanks for all the input.

I have found two used units on eBay from the UK, which I have ordered.

I also dropped an email with NRP in the UK to see if they can get me a set to repair.

Thanks squirrel but I have a 4th gen that I am determined to get over 100k miles (around 90k now). Once I get the carbs sorted, I need to replace the steering head bearings (have parts, but not looking forward to the job)

Great - I hope they are in good shape!

Don't throw away the broken one - it can still serve a purpose... it can be taken apart and measured.

VFRD should create a category or something for old eol parts...

• Member Contributer

FYI - NRP Carbs told me they were working on our carbs and may have something in 3-4 months.
Not sure how likely that is to happen, but if does it will be good news.

Archived