Has anyone had DMR suspensions BD40 shock on for a while?

wiremanjon

• Member Contributer

I’m just about sold on giving this shock a try as well as the BD-20 fork cartridges, but am a bit nervous as this isn’t an industry wide part. Has anyone had one for a while? And if you have, how’s it holding up?

I installed the Andreani ones.  I love them.   Same as his. i bought these because they were gold colored.  Jamie rebuilt my ohlins shock.  He does good work.  I mite be persuaded to sell them.  i have some f4 forks which i want to use because I can use the nissin 4 piston calipers.  the forks have new seals bushings and ohins fork oil.  Used for 6 track days only.

Cartuccie_misano_andreanil.jpg.52618d28d9199680b98ea3aaecacb651.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've been eyeballing a set of those Andreanis for my Duke...  though I think it's probably not an ideal time to order anything internationally! I'm happy with the F4 internals I put in my VFR forks and Jamie did an excellent job on the shock he built for me. I'm a pretty big guy and the suspension upgrade was absolutely transformative. 

I just ordered some mupos cartridges and rear shock from wrs in italy for my rc51. Hoping things get better so i enjoy riding at least this year because there is no motogp and nothing else to do but dream. There are some companies in the states that carry andreani.

• Member Contributer

The companies that sell them with springs set for your weight all reference a lead time... I assume that means they get them from the manufacturer, which means Italy. I can wait: my wish list is hardly the biggest thing going at the moment.

On the other hand, I've been doing plenty of riding. I live in the country and it's not like anyone is getting too close to me on the bike. Judging by the number of bikes I see on the road, it's not just me.  Seems like a pretty safe activity under the circumstances. I get limiting travel, but if I start and end my day at my own home and the closest I get to anyone is the gas pump, I think I'm following the spirit of the thing.

• Member Contributer

I bought one of Jamie's rebuilt CBR shocks before he started making his own... and also sent him my forks to have the internals replaced... was  worth every penny, I think its been maybe 4 riding seasons and all good. Can't wait to test again this summer!

• 3 months later...

DMR has been fantastic with after the sale support and help so please don't take this review in a negative light.   

I'm 1500 miles into my DMR outfitted Fork cartridge and BD40 shock bought last fall on my 07 installed by me.  I honestly bought the kit as my tires have been feathering front and rear awful.  (otherwise for my use the bike always felt okay to me).   I'm around 200 lbs all geared up.

A few hiccups on install of the rear shock that were quickly sorted with a return (make sure you request he installs a 45 degree fitting to clear interference with the PVC stay bracket with the oil reservoir line).  

From what i understand and the literature provided with the product, he recommends about a 4 years 20k interval on the rear shock rebuild with standard shock parts and a nitrogen charge yearly?  Fork oil is easy enough so i'll probably change that sooner than 4 years.   he states parts for the shock  are standard sizes and I'm assuming oil piston head parts?   N2 can be charged without removal of the shock from the bike (pending access to valve on reservoir cap).

Install went well, i didn't follow instructions closely enough and had to fix some minor fork cartridge issues internal spacing issues. (completely on me,  and now sorted).   preload on springs and fully threading caps correctly.

Only issue i haven't' really ridden the bike on anything but back and forth to work and a few weeks of me getting in my own way with Preload adjustments (Jamie doesn't recommend messing with the values unless your chasing a problem/symptom).  I didn't have any just needed an excuse to use the mototool sag tool on the suspension.   Anyway its back to what he recommends and feels good.  (Again i haven't pushed the bike between home and work (dead straight 30 miles)

If i had t do it again for my use i'd probably just send in my stock stuff and have it valved and refreshed.  (Would be about 500 bucks total cheaper) and i have a CBR if i make it back to the track next summer.  

I don't think you'd have any problems having a local shop accomplish the maintenance on the Cartridge (not that it should need anything but fork oil changes) and the shock.  Or send to Jamie for the refresh.  

Hopefully that helps? 

Also, the parts when i ordered last sept were made to order.  I didn't actually receive them for a about 4 to 6 weeks (not sure if that's sorted now as I think i was one of the first for the shock). 

cartridge came in about 2 weeks.

Just something to ask about if you are looking to order.  

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 8/4/2020 at 1:28 AM, triharder said:

Install went well, i didn't follow instructions closely enough and had to fix some minor fork cartridge issues internal spacing issues. (completely on me,  and now sorted).   preload on springs and fully threading caps correctly.

I just did my forks and installed his BD-40 shock as well. I’m having trouble getting my sag numbers. My bike has 55mm of sag in the forks before I even sit on it. It rides well but I’m giving up too much travel. Jamie says to investigate as this shouldn’t be. What was your mistake? Perhaps we missed a step as well, though I adjusted it exactly as written up. 

Unfortunately not much help on this end. 

the spacer between my fork cap and the threaded shaft was not spaced correctly on one side.  I must have hit a burr in the thread as i tightened until i felt resistance too soon.

That was my only fix and I didn't pay much attention to this detail at assembly as i thought i would be adjusting the sag numbers once sitting on the bike.

I re conducted the measurement to set the sag settings per the pamphlet.  this completely changed were my preload collar and shaft sat in the cap (I also corrected the threaded screw to sit flush at the fork cap).  some confusion on my end had me screw it in till it stoped and back it out 1.5 turns.   (that is not the procedure in the pamphlet which has you make the screw 1.5 turns out from flush with preload cap).

Jamie came back and told me not to adjust anything unless i'm experiencing a condition that warrants an adjustment.

I used Honda Fork oils (weight per jamie recommendation), new bushings and new seals as provided by Jamie.  Also my fork oil level was as he recommended in pamphlet. 

Unfortunately I don't know what could be your issue?  

You did re-use the bottom out caps on reinstall right?

I couldn't get sag numbers anywhere near the recommendations in manual or online.  That's when Jamie said those are not numbers you need to achieve (I was thinking I could start at the street spec and tighten up the preload until i wasn't hitting the zip tie.  Jamie said this isn't correct procedure for this fork. 

Unfortunately i haven't ridden in a few weeks and haven't really rode anything worth providing feedback on.   (I had been working on trail braking on my commute and was managing to screw that technique up). 

Archived