6th Gen valve cover sealant

ShawnVFR

Hey guys, looking for some help here. My 2003 VFR 800 VTEC is leaking out of the valve cover seals, I've ordered seals for the covers, 8 bolts and for the coils. The maintenance manual calls for a 'sealant' in the little semi-circle points between the gasket and the head, just wondering what everyone recommends? Thanks.

Honda just wants you to use a high-quality RTV (room-temperature-vulcanizing liquid gasket) in the semi-circles.  Locktite makes good stuff.

I use a tiny line of RTV along the entire mating between the valve covers and the gaskets when I reinstall the valve covers (after valve clearance check/adjustment) because I once had a leak after doing the work.  I was test riding the bike after a valve adjustment and it started leaking oil from the forward cylinder head.  I discovered that the engine-generated vacuum pull (on throttle off overrun) had actually pulled part of the valve cover gasket inward and once it (the gasket) was displaced from its normal place it stayed there and oil was freely leaking from the gap.  So from then on I've used a thin line of RTV to securely locate the gasket into the valve cover before re-installing on the cylinder head.

And I want to be perfectly clear: I don't put anything on the surface between the gasket and the actual cylinder head top.

I assume you checked to see if valve covers were torqued down  correctly.  I have never had any problems with all my v-4's.  It is very un honda like.

Archived