Brake lights, but not from lever?

Today at Walmart I saw some 1157 LED flashing brake lights, so I figured I would give them a shot in my 97. Threw one in, and I could get running lights, but no brakes (from either front or rear). Tried flipping it around, obviously wouldn't go in, but it lit up for the brake light. Gave up and put the old bulb back in, and it does the same thing.

Neither brake light comes on, from either pedal, but both bulbs will light up to the brighter filament if I put it in backwards.
Any idea what's going on here? Where do I even start to chase it down, since horn and indicators work, and I can get all 3 bulbs I tried to light both brake and running lights, but not brake lights when I pull the lever...

• Member Contributer

Appears the 1157 LED is not compatible with your bike, get back to original with the correct Brake/Tail light incandescent bulbs and recheck your Brake and Tail light operation.

1 minute ago, Grum said:

Appears the 1157 LED is not compatible with your bike, get back to original with the correct Brake/Tail light incandescent bulbs and recheck your Brake and Tail light operation.

That was my initial conclusion, but the original incandescent bulbs aren't working, but I know the filament isn't blown as when I tried putting it in backwards, it illuminated the brighter filament.  But they don't illuminate with either the front or rear brake.

• Member Contributer

Make sure you have the Correct bulbs installed correctly!. If you have the Tail Light working that means the bulbs Ground is good. You now need to make sure that the Brake switch be it front or rear IS supplying 12v to the Brake filament of the bulbs.

Am I right in assuming you have 2ea Bulbs that are both dual filament? Do you have a wiring diagram of your bike?

Correct, there are two bulbs, both are 1157 dual filament, and I have the wiring diagram for the bike. 

I can audibly hear the switch click when I depress the brakes, but I haven't probed it out yet to verify that the power is being sent.  What is confusing to me, is that 1157's can only go in one way (in that they will only twist and lock with the bulb in the "correct" orientation, otherwise you can't twist it), and when I put them in the wrong way, the brake light illuminates.

• Member Contributer

They are a Dual Filament globe so they must be keyed to ONLY go in the correct way, do not attempt to fit the wrong way!!!!

This is because your Tail Light is a lower wattage filament to your brighter brake lights.

Again make sure you have preferably two new globes of the correct type and wattage installed the correct way.

So, with Ignition ON you have the tail lights operational in BOTH globes - correct?

if YES. You now just need to follow the brake switch 12v feed to the brake light filament of the globes. You may have a broken wire as it's unlikely you'd have both front and rear switches faulty. 

Just also confirm you have NO blown fuse involving Brake Lights!

Correct, I didn't install them backwards, I was just testing the filaments. 

With ignition on, I am getting both bulbs to illuminate the tail lights.  

No blown fuses involving brake lights! According to the wiring diagram, for the 94-97's, fuse E runs the turn signals, front and rear brakes, and horns.  My turn signals and horns are functional, so the fuse works.  Fuse B runs the tail light - also functional.  

So I guess at this point I guess I need to tape the brake lever down and start probing with a multimeter to find some 12V power!

Unless there are further suggestions... I just really don't want to have to strip back fairings and rip open wire looms to chase wires if I can avoid it. 

• Member Contributer

OK. So your problem will be the Green/Yellow wire for the Brake Lights is not supplying 12v. Start at the connector nearest the bulbs the 3P black connector and probe the Green/Yellow for 12v when either Pedal or Lever is activated (Ignition to ON). If no 12v, then simply work your way back to the Rear Brake Light Switch. See if you can unplug the Brake Light Switch at the 2P white connector, with Ignition to ON do you have 12v on the White/Green wire at the plug. Let's know how you get on.

Best to clip your meter black lead to the Battery and red lead to probe for 12v.

Hope this diagram is per your bike?

image.png

That's the same diagram I'm using, and the colors at the bulb sockets match, so I'm gonna go with it being the correct diagram. One can only hope it's the right one when you're working on a vehicle that's over 20 years old

That's the plan, start at the socket and work my way back.

• Forum CEO

Check the mini switch under the brake lever. It comes off with a screw.  I found mine was toast on a ride in tennessee. It may have been that way for a while and just putting in the new bulb brought it to your attention.  Mine had completely disintegrated with use.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, HispanicSlammer said:

Check the mini switch under the brake lever. It comes off with a screw.  I found mine was toast on a ride in tennessee. It may have been that way for a while and just putting in the new bulb brought it to your attention.  Mine had completely disintegrated with use.

That's good advice HS but BeastlyDavis13 states he is not getting Brake Lights with either Rear Pedal OR Front Brake Lever! He might be unlucky and have two stuffed switches or more likely some sort of wiring issue.

Cheers.

be sure to check the source of power to taillights, and that starts at the ignition switch brown wire. another possibility is that one of the brake light switches is stuck ON, confusing things.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, squirrelbrains said:

be sure to check the source of power to taillights, and that starts at the ignition switch brown wire. another possibility is that one of the brake light switches is stuck ON, confusing things.

Good point you raise. He could be confusing Tail Light operation with a switch being stuck.

A simple easy check for that is to confirm that with Ignition On he ONLY has 12v at the Brown wire(Tail Lights) and NO 12v at the Brake Light, Green/Yellow wire of the 3P black plug nearest the globes.

OR closely look at each globe and see if both filaments are glowing! Should only be seeing the lighter gauge lower wattage filament glowing at Ignition On.

Refer Diagram posted above.

Couldn't find my multimeter until after dark this evening, so I couldn't chase down the issue, but I can confirm I do have just taillights, NOT brakes, it is the single, dimmer filament lighting, and I can jump the bulb and get the brighter brake lights, just not when I use a brake lever. Tomorrow I should be able to actually meter it out!

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, BeastlyDavis13 said:

Couldn't find my multimeter until after dark this evening, so I couldn't chase down the issue, but I can confirm I do have just taillights, NOT brakes, it is the single, dimmer filament lighting, and I can jump the bulb and get the brighter brake lights, just not when I use a brake lever. Tomorrow I should be able to actually meter it out!

Good luck keep us posted. Looks like a bad connection or broken wire somewhere. Shouldn't be too hard to track down! 

Alright, so I had a combination of issues going on!

First, the biggest, was the mini-switch under the front brake lever - HS, you suggested checking it. The switch itself was fine, just unplugged. The PO had a RAM mount on the brake lever bar mount, and in pulling it off, he must have had those come loose. After plugging that back in, I had brake lights, but only from the front! (Included a picture. With the Helibars, they are pretty crammed up against the riser)

The rear brake switch just needed adjusting as you had to be all the way stomped before it lit, but I think having the open circuit before may have been causing the rear brake to not flip the lights on. 

I ended up installing just one of the flashing LED's and left one incandescent in there. I guess I'm worried the cheap flashing unit could go out and leave me stranded! 

Thanks for all the help, y'all! I love when vehicles I own have active and helpful forums! Coming from a KLR and having a Jeep as well, I'm pretty set with solid forums!

20200415_183942.jpg

Archived