Rectifier or stator?

gig

• Member Contributer

New battery, thought I had a parasitic drain, not losing much daily. Then checked charging volts while running, idle in 12s, up to 13.05 at 2000-2500, over that then back into the 12s.

Stator correct?

Thx

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, gig said:

New battery, thought I had a puristic drain. now losing much daily. Then checked charging volts while running, idle in 12s, up to 13 at 2000-2500, over that then back into the 12s.

Stator correct?

Thx

Bit of trouble understanding the above! Do you suspect you have "parasitic" current drain? You shouldn't be seeing greater than 1.2ma (amp meter inbetween battery neg terminal and neg lead) ignition switched off.

If you do have parasitic drain and because your charge voltage is low, this could mean a faulty R/R. Pulling main fuse B will isolate the R/R then recheck your current drain.

Otherwise as Squirrelbrains suggested you could measure the Stator AC output or you could do an ohm meter check of the 3 stator output wires measured to frame, you must have No continuity between the wires and frame, this is generally the way the stator fails, output wires short to frame. Check you have low resistance between each of the 3 output stator wires.

• Member Contributer

16 hours ago, gig said:

New battery, thought I had a parasitic drain, not losing much daily. Then checked charging volts while running, idle in 12s, up to 13.05 at 2000-2500, over that then back into the 12s.

Stator correct?

Thx

9 hours ago, jstehman said:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/84719-the-drill/

Check grounds

Check connectors for heat damage/fuse b

Starter solenoid, rr connector to stator

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Could be any piece of the puzzle of the charging system - or an all the above combination...... battery or stator or R/R or effed wiring/connectors...... Run "the drill"  ... gimme numbers 

That said, the 5th gen OEM R/Rs do have a high fallout and the dropping voltage at revs is a clue.... 

----------

BTW - I see you have your bike listed as a VFR848 ----What's the stuff on that?

thxz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks Mello, its got a new battery, newish R/R and wiring. Ill do the drill today, and post the numbers

848 rear wheel, eccentric, brake conversion

Thx

Archived