Under $30 Fuel Pump Repair/ CBR/VFR HYBRID BUILD

MOTOPILOT

• Member Contributer

Fuel pump first - it didn’t prime when the key was turned on with the run/stop switch in run position. The pump will prime even if the neutral switch, sidestand switch, clutch switch, and gearbox are not in order.

Good job, Moto Pilot

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

Was the fuel pump the problem not starting or was it the kickstand off and in gear?

Good question. Bike was in gear, if he had it in neutral the Side Stand matters Jack sh$t.

From his previous post in the 6 gen forum. "PROJECT BIKE WON'T IGNITE - GAUGES KICK ON THO"

He stated the engine would fail to ignite, and had replaced the fuel pump. Sent us on a bit of a wild goose chase for an Ignition Fault! Not simply a starter cranking issue.

Like the build videos, looking very nice.

• Member Contributer

A $28 fuel pump . . . I'll be LMAO if after all the trouble it craps out on its first try.  I learned my lesson shopping at Harbor Freight with all their cheap tools - gave up on that long ago.   If the F.P. fails at the wrong time it could have serious if not fatal consequences.   And it's not a repair that likely can be done in the field so could involve shipping the bike home if on a trip. You get what you pay for and sometimes it's worth it to pay up.  I would at least look for a used pump from a low mile bike before going his route. 

• Member Contributer

I'm not afraid of a generic part, but $28 is a bit optimistic! Out of curiosity I did a quick image search and the ebay listing says that it was made in Japan. Presumably, there's a town in China named Japan...? Still, I think the build is interesting enough. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Cogswell said:

A $28 fuel pump . . . I'll be LMAO if after all the trouble it craps out on its first try.  I learned my lesson shopping at Harbor Freight with all their cheap tools - gave up on that long ago.   If the F.P. fails at the wrong time it could have serious if not fatal consequences.   And it's not a repair that likely can be done in the field so could involve shipping the bike home if on a trip. You get what you pay for and sometimes it's worth it to pay up.  I would at least look for a used pump from a low mile bike before going his route. 

+1 from me Cogswell, well said. Just no way known would I risk a cheap and possibly nasty Fuel Pump, seeing it runs continuously with engine running, it needs to be a very durable and reliable device, frankly, the best quality you can get. Money saving is not an option with such an important device AFAIC! 

• Member Contributer

I was more concerned with what looked like cheap crimp on butt connectors at the plug for the pump. (I thought they were wire nuts at first glance) Anyone else see that on the harness side of the connector? Could have been a bad connection there all along and the movement of the plug in and out may have reconnected the wires. I'm personally not familiar with OE pumps failing on any fuel injected generation...

Archived