How do I know?

2 hours ago, Dutchy said:

It will mute the air induction sound no doubt.

Snorkel can be removed no problem; even in rainey weather.

The K&N is an AIR filter right?  Not an oil filter; these were reported to fail/split. The ones witha nut on top.

Hi Dutchy....yup its the air filter.

Funny I have never used a K&N oil filter 🤔 Always use Wix oil filters, they have a better filter media, better valving and more media as well.

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, Ken said:

Does anyone happen to have the Mosfet R/R part number to order as well as the replacement harness plug to the R/R?

You want a Roadstercycle SH847 Kit. It comes with everything you need. It’s a Series R/R, which is the latest technology and considerably better than MOSFET.  
https://www.roadstercycle.com

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Ken said:

Does anyone else do the screen from an old OEM filter over the snorkel on the air box to keep out the larger debris?.I have done this to every bike I have ever owned and you can easily double your filter life.An Engineer friend of mine a number of years ago had a device to measure air flow, we did a before and after on my Triumph 955i Daytona with the air box screen mod and zero difference.

Hi Ken.

Your air filter mod concerns me a bit! Haven't heard of others doing it, It's no doubt great for keeping your air filter clear of large particles, as well as stopping nesting vermin living in your airbox.

But I have concerns about air flow, especially at high RPM's, given that the area of the wire relative to the air holes, guessing you could see a reduction in area nearing 50%!!. I found an online calculator and for a 750cc engine at 10,000rpm you're roughly drawing in 50litres of air every second! (See attached).

Also the effect of any debris/insects caught on the snorkel screen will have a far greater effect at reducing air flow than the same stuff falling on the internal air filter, due to the internal air filters far greater surface area. I'm sure if Honda thought that a pre air filter filter was a good idea they would have installed one on the snorkel. In my experience the stuff that clogs up your air filter over time is mostly fine dust/dirt particles which would get through your screen anyway.

It would be very interesting to see the effect of your snorkel filter on a Dyno chart especially in the high rpm zone.

Be interested in hearing what others think of this mod.

Just a thought.:wacko:

Cheers.

image.png

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Ken.

Your air filter mod concerns me a bit! Haven't heard of others doing it, It's no doubt great for keeping your air filter clear of large particles, as well as stopping nesting vermin living in your airbox.

But I have concerns about air flow, especially at high RPM's, given that the area of the wire relative to the air holes, guessing you could see a reduction in area nearing 50%!!. I found an online calculator and for a 750cc engine at 10,000rpm you're roughly drawing in 50litres of air every second! (See attached).

Also the effect of any debris/insects caught on the snorkel screen will have a far greater effect at reducing air flow than the same stuff falling on the internal air filter, due to the internal air filters far greater surface area. I'm sure if Honda thought that a pre air filter filter was a good idea they would have installed one on the snorkel. In my experience the stuff that clogs up your air filter over time is mostly fine dust/dirt particles which would get through your screen anyway.

It would be very interesting to see the effect of your snorkel filter on a Dyno chart especially in the high rpm zone.

Cheers.

image.png

Clear and concise as usual Grum, sounds like a bad idea with good intentions to me.   Air filters aren’t that expensive are they.

• Member Contributer

I cannot remember why, but I do recall there were issues with the K&N air filters. One of my machines came with one when I bought it. I replaced it with Honda OEM. And yes, they are cheap for what they do to keep your engine running "long time".

16 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Ken.

Cheers.

image.png

Wow....have not thought if my model from that standpoint.Thankyou

What I may do is give it a good run on the next warm day....self isolating as well😉

Then maybe directly after remove snorkel screen and try to note any discernable difference.

To remove would be literally minutes so not a big deal

Archived