Sidi Rex Air Boots

Philois1984

• Member Contributer

Any one have experience with these boots? I am thinking of purchasing a pair just for the level of protection they offer. I don't do track days or ride like I think I am on one, I just want to have the safest gear possible in the event of an accident. Is this overkill? 80_313_varianti_gallery_pop_Rex_Air_BlackBlack.thumb.jpg.10c8baab10393a0a2f523c362790c059.jpg

• Member Contributer

As long as you can try them on before you buy them. My experience with Sidi footwear is that they tend

to run on the narrow side. I couldn't wear any Sidi footgear as they are too narrow for my feet. Pain after

a half-hour or so.

They are definitely not something I would wear, but if you like them, that's all that matters.

• Member Contributer

Definitely overkill. With this “increased protection”, comes increased complexity. When you gear up for a ride, going through all the steps to get your boots on becomes a nuisance. Also, boots like this aren’t made to walk in or for comfort. That may not sound like a big deal, but, many of these boots squeak and pinch, while walking. And, their movement restrictions aren’t enjoyable, in general.

Those boots are heavily vented. Your feet will freeze in cooler temps and get soaked in rain. I never buy boots constructed of perforated leather, because the compromise is too great. They’re a very weather-specific boot. 

I just bought A* SMX Plus boots to replace my 15yr-old SMX-S boots. My old boots’ velcro no longer stuck and I felt like that could be an issue with tech in returning to the track. I could’ve bought the equivalent replacement boots, but, they have the same velcro enclosure flap. That led me to the equivalent track boot, which is what I bought, through mailorder. I love that they have the enclosure zipper on the outside, instead of the inside, like my old boots. My new boots have a ratcheting buckle to secure the enclosure flap, so no velcro. What I didn’t know and don’t like is these boots have an integrated inner boot. Now, I have to make sure I have a hold of the loop for the tongue (down inside), while slipping into the boot. Then, I have to make sure to tuck the tongue into place, under the securement flaps, and the strings are on top of the tongue, before snugging the securement string, but, not too snug or they’ll cut off circulation. Then, I have to tuck the excess string somewhere and fasten its velcro tab to its velcro pad. Then, I have to hold the upper together, while zipping it up, before folding the enclosure flap over and sticking the strap into its ratchet. The exterior fixator thing and the extra armor rigidity require much more assertiveness in getting everything precisely in place, or they won’t close up.   My old boots were simply slip on, zip them up, flip the enclosure flap over onto its velcro, and go. The armor in my new boots mean they have a pinch point in the front I feel, if I squat (not a normal position for riding, I know). Also, they loudly squeak like a Stormtrooper coming through. My old boots are more free of range and have a minor, interior squeak I’ve never been able to place, but, never has been annoying. 

The reality with boots is you need to buy enough protection for your personal comfort level and use. Buying a boot fit for a 220mph get-off isn’t really necessary for the street, especially given their practicality compromises. This is why I wear A* Corozal, instead of Tech 10’s, on my ADV bike. I simply don’t need MX protection for the offroad riding I do. I’m compromising some outright protection for some more practicality. But, the Corozal are still heavily armored. 

I echo “FJ12Ryder”. I can’t wear any Sidi footwear, motorcycle or bicycle, as they’re far too narrow and tight, anywhere below the ankle. For me, Alpinestars have the perfect amount of roominess, for all day comfort, yet, are secure. I have three pairs of their boots and they all have consistently the same fit and feel. No other boot I’ve tried, and I’ve tried on a lot, fit MY feet the way A* do. Anytime you’re in a shop or at a show and see a variety of boots on display, sit down and try on some stuff. That’ll give you an idea of how particular brands fit. Choosing intended use should come first, fitment next, then, your level of protection. Don't get drawn into brands or appearance. 

• Member Contributer

I recently bought a pair of Sidi ST boots to replace my well-worn Dainese Torques. A few observations:

The Sidis are much more fiddly to put on/take off due to the Velcro, and cam buckles. I knew this going in, and accept it, but it's still kind of annoying sometimes.

They are much stiffer, and take some getting used to when shifting, and using the rear brake. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

They are not as comfortable for walking around, but it's not horrible. I wouldn't want to go on a hike with 'em, but for just normal walking around I can deal.

I was willing to sacrifice a bit of convenience, and comfort for the extra protection since I ride fairly aggressively. Wether that's for you is your call.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the info guys. I have fairly wide feet so that sounds like it disqualifies them straight away. In all honesty I wasn’t getting drawn in to the looks of the boots, they are way too flashy for my tastes, I was just wanting the safest boot. Will stick with my Gaerne boots for now, very comfortable but very little shin protection.

• Member Contributer

Gaerne are nice quality boots. If you’re happy with their fit and quality, then, I’d search their product lineup for that bit more protection you’re looking for. I think, it’s a safer solution than going to the outer fringes of boots, from another brand. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks Limey I just checked these out, certainly top shelf but just what I was looking for, found them for $590 😳which seems good compared to everywhere else I found them. Not sure how this brand has escaped my attention before this. Thanks again.

2F7633B0-32FF-4975-A817-2A37E0EED627.png

• Member Contributer

Yeah, they're not cheap but you can send them back to the factory and have panels replaced, have them resoled, etc. 

Buy once, cry once. 

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

+1 on the Daytona's. I'm on my 2nd pair of Road Star GTX's.   Rock solid boot and comfortable enough to walk around in.  I have wide feet and wear 10.5 US.  I ordered Euro 45 and they were a bit roomy towards the front of my foot.  I added a nice pair of insoles and the boots are perfect.  So comfortable.  They will need to get broken in, but after that, you will have one of the best all around boots that money can buy.  

On 4/10/2020 at 2:52 PM, TheLimey said:

If you truly want the safest boot money can buy, you need to look at Daytona boots. 

https://www.daytona.de/en/index.php?section=mediadir&cmd=detail&lid=3&eid=89

These aren't the same as the "older Security" boots, which is why I assume they're the "Evo G3"s? The older ones had a bit more of a hard/fiberglass inner boot than these seem to? 

Great for racing or the track, speaking for the ones I had/have(including several "crash tests"), forget about walking around in them, except for at the track ... which usually consists of a few hundred yards ... each way!

No bias, but I worked for a place that sold Daytonas, and ended up with a used pair of the TransOpen GTX ... still wearing them 20 years later. Have even used them as my "snow boots" ... nothing to do with M/Cs, just saying. For everyday/sportish type use, the RoadStar GTX, or or the TravelStar GTX are likely they're most versatile boots. Expensive? Yes! Worth it? Yes!!

On 4/10/2020 at 3:50 PM, Philois1984 said:

Thanks Limey I just checked these out, certainly top shelf but just what I was looking for, found them for $590 😳which seems good compared to everywhere else I found them. Not sure how this brand has escaped my attention before this. Thanks again.

Not sure if it's a "track/race" boot you're looking for, or just the best protection money can buy? Either/or, this boot has you covered! Another nice thing is, you can just buy the outer shell, in a variety of different color combos, used to even be able to special order what you want ... so the customization possibilities were endless as well!!

• Member Contributer

I will pile onto an old thread here as well, I used to wear Sidi race boots as my "regular" boots...the only reason I'm not wearing them now is I got rid of them thinking I'd never ride again.  Mostly I wanted the protection, but also because they fit under jeans just as well as over leathers.  They are quite obviously motorcycle race boots with toe sliders and people who don't motorcycle are going to think they're odd looking.  But 95% of the time I am also going to be in a motorcycle jacket, carrying a helmet, etc. and obviously on a motorcycle anyway.  If you care what you look like walking into a restaurant, step one is don't travel there by bike!  

Some other brands I've tried are a little thicker and don't fit under jeans as well.  So my vote would be to go for the Sidis if they fit, maybe in a less obvious color scheme if you can.  But Sidi makes some touring-oriented boots that have racer-like protection under them without looking like you are trying to race.

I am waiting on some Sidi touring-oriented boots that offer racer like protection without looking too racer-ish.  Hoping they too fit under jeans!

20200923_152634.thumb.jpg.f0d44e5146a49e7f36ec59b17ab4569c.jpg

16 hours ago, Jelorian said:

+1 on the Daytona's. I'm on my 2nd pair of Road Star GTX's.   Rock solid boot and comfortable enough to walk around in.  I have wide feet and wear 10.5 US.  I ordered Euro 45 and they were a bit roomy towards the front of my foot.  I added a nice pair of insoles and the boots are perfect.  So comfortable.  They will need to get broken in, but after that, you will have one of the best all around boots that money can buy.  

They arrive SUPER STIFF! I had to resort to using a pliers to zip them up at first! Once on, they do feel fantastic and provide a gel-like sensation when transferring weight onto the footpegs.

• Member Contributer

I've had my Sidi Cobra rain boots for 8 years and love them, just had a old Italian cobbler replace the soles to keep them going for a few more years. Wouldn't hike all day in them but great on the bike.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/23/2020 at 1:32 PM, Badger1 said:

20200923_152634.thumb.jpg.f0d44e5146a49e7f36ec59b17ab4569c.jpg

They arrive SUPER STIFF! I had to resort to using a pliers to zip them up at first! Once on, they do feel fantastic and provide a gel-like sensation when transferring weight onto the footpegs.

They are stiff for sure but once they break in they are so comfortable.  One thing to note.  When putting them on and zipping them up.  Make sure the shorter zipper on the inner side is open/unzipped before you zip up the bigger outer zipper.  Once that is zipped up, then do the shorter inner zipper.

Congrats on the Daytona's!  I hope you enjoy wearing them as much as I do mine.   Take care of them and they'll keep your feet safe for 10+ years! 

• Member Contributer

BTW, I found that RevZilla sells the genuine Sidi replacement soles for about $20, if anyone is looking to keep an old pair going.

Archived