PROJECT BIKE WON'T IGNITE - GAUGES KICK ON THO

MOTOPILOT

OK, I've torn pretty far into this 2004 VFR800.  I just replaced the fuel pump and it boots up on ignition.  But I can't get the bike to kick over but the gauges all kick on..

At first I thought it was the kickstand sensor so I put that back together.  Correctly I hope. LOL. Still won't ignite.

I did remove the entire rear linked braking system and have two connectors disconnected in that area (see attached pic).  I did it so long ago I can't even recall what went there.

I'd appreciate any feedback

MOTO PILOT

20200409_161637.jpg

• Member Contributer

Motopilot

Page 15-32 of the workshop manual shows you the two connectors. One is the rear light switch. The other is the rear wheel sensor.

• Member Contributer

Ignition enable is controlled by the ECM. It must see the Neutral Switch ground when in neutral at A7 of the ECM or a ground from the Side Stand Switch UP on ECM A20. No ground at both A7 And A20 = Ignition disable. The ECM must see a ground on at least one of the inputs to enable Ignition.

This is how your engine is shutdown if you are in gear and you lower your side stand = No Ground on A7 AND A20.

- Have you confirmed you're getting no spark?

- Have you tried starting with the side stand up?

- Assume you have no issues with the engine cranking over when hitting the starter switch?

- Is your Fi Light flashing any diagnostic code?

- Do you have the service manual and proper wiring diagram for your bike?

image.png

Archived