Stub axle condition?

daved

Found a small amount of play in the rear wheel bearings of my VFR800Fiy recently.
Bought a 46mm socket and readied myself to battle with the stub axle nut, which turned out not to be tight at all, it was still staked but at maybe 50Nm not the spec’ed 201Nm, I tightened it to about 70Nm and the play went away, but since I had already bought the bearing kit and the originals have done 80K miles, I went ahead and disassembled the hub and put the new bearings in.
The axle looks OK, apart from one area (where the double ball bearings sit) which looks like one of the bearings has been spinning (very shiny) on the axle, I can’t measure any wear on the axle. There is no heat discolouration in the grease in the bearing or in the internal bearing race. 
I’m planning to re-use the axle, since the bearings aren’t a press fit on the axle and I expect that when I torque the nut to the correct tightness it will hold the inner races stationary relative to the axle rotation.

Anything else I should be considering?

stub_axle.jpg

• Member Contributer

The was a member here that lost an axle nut. I've had one back off a bit. Good on you for checking.

A little red Loctite on that locknut in addition to staking might not be a bad idea. Just heat it to 250℉ or so next time you need to take it off.

Archived