Of Elephants and Chicken Strips and matters VFR

RC79NC001

13 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I wholeheartedly agree.  The rider below may be scrubbing off his "chicken strip" but likely being passed by his mates who are leaving theirs intact.  To me proper body position combined with appropriate bike lean is more important than getting the tires to their limits of lean angle.

image.png.088575e6d181cd2337e90b6ae5073c88.png

Yep, body positioning is probably the biggest variable. Doohan vs Marquez...

I could definitely hang off my VFR more and do if I want to go faster. 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

The other thing to add to this situation is the "safety factor".

If you are on the edge of the tyre and something untoward occurs when you need more lean, you are shit out of luck.

Getting off the bike, even slightly, will keep you corner speed up with less lean angle, giving you something of a safety factor.

The photo above is a recipe to disaster in my mind.

My 2 cents worth.

At the motorcycle safety course they told us that on the street it's better to be on top of the bike as you are more likely to be able to shift the bike fast than your body. Obviously, if you race, it doesn't apply, but for the basic riders I think it's good advice. It also teaches you how to stay relaxed, which means more control. For beginners and even intermediates, going down with the bike usually is coupled with clutching the handlebar and target fixation. It also allows you to more easily take an invisible road bump.

For me, I guess an intermediate, it takes a LOT more skill and preparation to lean than to stay on top: I need to consciously not hang on to the bars, brace my knees, prepare for the next two corners, shift the weight slowly, make sure there is a way for that weight to quickly go back up without upsetting the bike, etc.

Not disparaging anything written here, I'm just saying there might be a sense to riding on top while on the street.

• Member Contributer

I used to drag pegs, then I wised up.  

Archived